Skip navigation
mseabroo
Currently Being Moderated

CS6 Beta Modifies CS4 & CS5 Bridge File Associations (W7 Pro 64Bit SP1)

Mar 22, 2012 12:34 PM

Tags: #pbf

Symptoms:

After installing CS6 including bridge CS6 onto a W7 pro 64Bit Machine with SP1.

The File associations in the existing copies of CS4 and CS5 bridge are updated to make the CS6 Beta the default programme for opening the majority of file types from either CS4 or CS5 bridge.

When right clicking ona file from CS4/5 bridge only the option of opening in CS6 is presented

Expected Bahaviour:

I expected that CS6 would be the default programme launched from CS6 bridge but that CS4/CS5 would remain the default programmes launched from their own versions of bridge.

Setting CS6 as the default file association in previous versions of bridge makes no sense at the Beta stage, as it interupts a clean migration back to existing workflow.

I would also question the value in not preserving the existing file associations in prior versions of bridge in the final CS6 release, as there are cases when it might be desirable to go back to a previous version of CS, in which case opening that version of bridge and launching directly into the prior versions of CS is very desirable.

Is there anyway to quickly restore the previous associations in CS4/CS5 bridge and be sure that they are exactly the same as prior to the CS6 beta install ?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 22, 2012 12:28 PM   in reply to mseabroo

I have a similar Win7 configured computer and experience the same issue.

If I specifically set the "file associations" in Bridge CS5 to point to the CS5 executible, the association is not honoured and CS6 is opened.

This is mildly awkward since this is BETA software (with possible problems) and always generates the "nag screens" with CS6 is invoked (just an annoyance).  Is it possible or reasonable to "register" the software to avoid the nag screens??

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 22, 2012 12:33 PM   in reply to TonyField

Please see post : http://forums.adobe.com/message/4283839#4283839 for information on bridge and CS5 associations

Pattie

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2012 10:02 AM   in reply to mseabroo

We have an FAQ about file association.

FAQ: what do I need to know about file associations?

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 22, 2012 4:56 PM   in reply to mseabroo

This is one of the many reasons why you never want to install beta software on a machine you're going to want to continue to do critical work with.

Most computers nowadays are powerful enough to run virtual machines for testing things.  Look into the VMware software (e.g., the free VMware Player).

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2012 11:11 AM   in reply to Pattie F

Yes this works for PSD file association but it does not work for JPEG or JPG.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2012 1:50 PM   in reply to Ryan A. SGS

Ryan,

As you seem to have discovered, you need to repeat the steps in the FAQ article for every file type that has been associated with PS CS6 and that was previously associated with CS5. You will need your own memory to figure out if any of the CS6 extensions were not previously associated wtih CS5.

On Windows 7 you can do this via Start -> Control Panel -> Default Programs -> Associate a file type or protocol with a program. Click on the header "Current Default" and scroll to the section of "Adobe Photoshop CS6" entries. Repeat the steps 5 through 3 (second set of 1, 2, 3) for each file association. You may need to re-sort the list after each one. I suggest you start from the bottom of the CS6 group and work upward because CS5 looks a lot like CS6.

If this does not work for JPG when you click on the Change program button, you may need to browse for the Photoshop CS5 program.  In 64-bit Windows 7 systems is is usually in C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS5 (64 Bit).

Enjoy.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2012 3:09 PM   in reply to Joe_M8

Nope. That's what I did in the first place.  I am well awary of how to assciate files.  When try to associat a JPEG file to CS5, which you have to drill to, and you click the CS5 Photoshop EXE it still pops up as CS6.  Even if you try to associated to a CS4 it still just wants to show you a CS6 association.  Image shows what you get after you have chosen CS5.

Untitled-1.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2012 4:23 PM   in reply to Ryan A. SGS

You also have the set the file association in Bridge 5.  The Adobe faq is insufficient  See:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4286459#4286459

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2012 4:35 PM   in reply to Ryan A. SGS

Sorry for the noise. I misunderstood your depth of knowlege and what you had tried. I also committed the sin of not testing the procedure all the way through because I did not want to change the association on my computer. I get the same behavior.

Guess for .jpg

Registry shows for .jpg:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\F ileExts\.jpg\UserChoice  Progid = Applications\Photoshop.exe

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Applications\Photoshop.exe\shell\o pen\command  (Default) = "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS6 (64 Bit)\Photoshop.exe" "%1"

UserChoice seems to be added when I made the association choice. Note that it points into Applications with a non-version specific Photoshop.exe. Within HKLM\....\Applications there is only one Photoshop.exe -- no version -- and that entry points to CS6.

I believe that explains why the browsed to association is CS6. It does not explain why it would be set up that way. Probably has something to do with Windows special handling of certain file extensions. Beyond my depth and tells me I am not going to find a solution.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 27, 2012 10:14 PM   in reply to mseabroo

Please revisit the FAQ on associations and see if it helps. New content has been added regarding Bridge and Photoshop associations specifically.

FAQ link

Thanks

Pattie

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points