Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

nVidia GTX 680 now at Newegg

Mar 21, 2012 7:07 PM

http://www.newegg.com/GTX680/?nm_mc=EMCCP-032212-NV&cm_mmc=EMCCP-03221 2-NV-_-GeForceGTX680-_-banner-_-SHOPNOW

Coupon code good until end of March or when supply is exhausted... good for free shipping EMCNGHJ22 (at checkout)

Replies 1 2 3 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 21, 2012 7:13 PM   in reply to John T Smith

I got my coupon in the email at 9.:03 PM EST and guess what they are completely sold out.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 22, 2012 6:52 AM   in reply to John T Smith

3x the 580 Cuda Cores!  Please buy one Bill and test it in your 980x rig at:

http://ppbm5.com/Benchmark5.html

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 22, 2012 7:33 AM   in reply to Chuck A. McIntyre

I have a feeling Bill knows where the site is 

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 22, 2012 10:56 AM   in reply to Bill Gehrke

Looks like the EVGA and MSI cards are still available.

$500 is pricey, though.  I am curious how much better it would be than a $200 card.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 22, 2012 1:41 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

When EVGA opened their office this morning it took only 6 minutes for them to sell out, unfortunately I did not make the cutoff there or Newegg which sold all their stock yesterday before it was even official

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 22, 2012 2:26 PM   in reply to Bill Gehrke

Anyone really desperate for a 680?  Visit eBay for the scalpers prices.  Basic 680 runs from $600 to $800 dollars

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 22, 2012 8:11 PM   in reply to John T Smith

http://www.dunnet.nl/ProductDetails.aspx?en=80005746

Shop says delivery in 24 hours and in stock.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2012 2:23 AM   in reply to Luc van Vliet

Luc,

Dunnet does not have any stock. Are you aware of the very dubious reputation they have, with more than five bankruptcies and all the changing adresses in the past years? I would not do any business with them. IMO they rank amongst the most criminal and untrustworthy outlets in this market.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2012 10:30 AM   in reply to John T Smith

It appears that the 680 will support 3 monitors simultaneously.  I read this in a couple of places.  Didn't check the Nvidia site though for confirmation.

Gamer's overkill on steroids:

http://www.slashgear.com/nvidia-geforce-gtx-680-benchmarked-in-quad-sl i-23219787/

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2012 10:32 AM   in reply to Chuck A. McIntyre

I look forward to hearing how it affects / enhances performance with PrP/AE. And as compared to Quadro 4000.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2012 10:35 AM   in reply to Chuck A. McIntyre

It appears on the Nvidia site that this card will support 4 monitors running simultaneously:

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-680/features

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2012 10:36 AM   in reply to lasvideo

the older 5xx series already killed the quadro 4000 not even a question if but by how much more than the 5xx series.

Scott

ADK

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2012 10:41 AM   in reply to Chuck A. McIntyre

CS6 + GTX 680 + 4 monitors + upcoming Ivy Bridge sounds promising.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2012 3:34 PM   in reply to John T Smith

I was lucky enough to grab one before they sold out.  Since I was originally going to purchase the 580, is the main difference (in terms of post production) between  the two just 3x CUDA power??  In regards to AE this would help tremendously right?? But if anyone would have the time time explain any advantages in Premiiere, I would appreciate it. thanks in advance.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2012 3:39 PM   in reply to StarMarc

Technically yes more cuda cores better MPE (also 2GB ram)

However the link I posted suggests it may not be..

I am not lucky enough to have one yet to test with

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2012 3:43 PM   in reply to Scott Chichelli

Scott - I am not lucky enough to have one yet to test with

Well, you need to do something about that 

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2012 3:53 PM   in reply to lasvideo

Well miracle of miracles I just ordered one direct from EVGA and if they get it out tonight yet I should have it Monday.  Lets hope it beats Scott's findings

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2012 3:55 PM   in reply to Bill Gehrke

Congrats Bill!

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 24, 2012 3:44 AM   in reply to John T Smith

Plenty for Sale here in the UK,

Rumours say EVGA are bringing out a 4gb Version.

Well I have ordered one, cant wait to Test the Beast.

Baz

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 24, 2012 5:34 AM   in reply to Studio North Films

Just wondering if the GTX 690 with a single GPU, based on the GK110 and possibly a 384 bit memory bus, would not be much more interesting than this mid-range 680, that is offered for a whopping € 500. The 690 is not a dual GPU design like the 590, but the upgrade from the GK104. Let's not kid ourselves, the 680 is only a mid-level card and more alike the 560 than the 580.

I hope the fuzziness will disappear shortly and we will get some tangible results. For me, I will wait with a decision about a new video card, till the offerings are a lot clearer. I mean, a mid-level card for € 500 loses its attractiveness when you can have a performance level card for € 550.

I look forward to seeing the results from people like Bill, who do not hesitate to shell out large amounts to get the latest and supposedly greatest, even though only mid-level video cards. Time will tell.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 25, 2012 5:31 PM   in reply to Harm Millaard

If you want an extensive article on the new NVidia line I suggest reading this BSN article.  It has made me a little more optimistic about the GTX 680 but next week sometime we will know for sure when I get mine. 

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 25, 2012 5:59 PM   in reply to Studio North Films

Hi Studio North,

you said you ordered one, what exactly did you order ? ... a 2 gb model ? or a 4 gb model ?  your post is a bit confusing.  I haven't seen

anything about a 4gb out yet, but if that's the case, it's worth the wait to wait I'm guessing.  Will you be using  this on a new motherboard that

supports the 2011 chip ? ( i7 ) ? and PCI-3 for the card to pull full potential from it ?

I am wondering if going with a 680 is worth it, if I pop it into an older board, somehow I rather doubt it, that new card is pci-3 and my board is pci-2 so

there is a big bottleneck there.  Probabally not worth it, and perhaps I'll go with the GTX-580, a saleman told me prices may drop as much as $200 on the

card.

P.S. I bought my GTX-470 about 2 years ago, - cost me $400 at the time, I saw this card for $129 a few weeks ago on a local vendor's site, however when I asked aobut it, they had not had any in stock, and the guy told me they have been discontinued for a LONG time.

However this shows you just how much a card can drop in price, and just how quickly when a new card comes out.

Dave.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 25, 2012 6:42 PM   in reply to Harm Millaard

Hi Harm,

I was told the GTX 690 is a dual gpu card, not a single.  This info has been out for quite some time, so I'm a bit confused about you saying it is a single gpu card.

This article posted just a few days ago talks a bit about the upcoming card....

http://wccftech.com/nvidia-dual-chip-geforce-gtx-690-gpu-exposed/

quote:

The card is definitely based on two GK104 chips (the same chip was used on the GeForce GTX 680) holding 3072 Cuda Cores (1536 from each core), 256 TMUs, 64 ROPs. It holds 4 Memory chips on either sides of the PCB which equals a memory interface of 256-bit for each core. This means we would see a 4GB VRam on the board.

It is powered by two Eight Pin connector which suggests that the TDP would be somewhere around 300W. Each core has its own 5 Phase VRM.

The card has a single SLI gold finger which means two of the same GPU’s can be coupled together. The GPU is expected to launch in May 2012. Price is gonna be set around $799 US.

end of quote.

Dave.

Harm Millaard wrote:

Just wondering if the GTX 690 with a single GPU, based on the GK110 and possibly a 384 bit memory bus, would not be much more interesting than this mid-range 680, that is offered for a whopping € 500. The 690 is not a dual GPU design like the 590, but the upgrade from the GK104. Let's not kid ourselves, the 680 is only a mid-level card and more alike the 560 than the 580.

I hope the fuzziness will disappear shortly and we will get some tangible results. For me, I will wait with a decision about a new video card, till the offerings are a lot clearer. I mean, a mid-level card for € 500 loses its attractiveness when you can have a performance level card for € 550.

I look forward to seeing the results from people like Bill, who do not hesitate to shell out large amounts to get the latest and supposedly greatest, even though only mid-level video cards. Time will tell.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 26, 2012 1:42 AM   in reply to John T Smith

Hi,

Dave

I ordered the current available 2gb Version of the GTX 680.

My System spec at Present is:

Asus P6T7 WS with 980x 4.2GHZ,

The card has Arived this morning, will do some tests and see what it can do.

Baz

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 26, 2012 2:36 AM   in reply to Studio North Films

Hi Baz,

thanks for your help and I can't wait to see how it works. What card did you have in the machine?

Dax

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 26, 2012 6:47 AM   in reply to Studio North Films

Hi Baz,

thanks for the clarification :-)  Nice !  btw, I was checking out your board, sweet !  Not a cheap board... $$ I have been buying ASUS boards for a long time, can't go wrong with them

I find. 

I'm looking forward to your findings !  -- and - good question Darren had, - what card did you have in your system ?  would be interesting to know, when you tell us how the 680 performs.

Also, having the cpu you have, is a major step up from my very old Intel q9450 which was one of the top chips at its time.

http://ark.intel.com/products/33923/Intel-Core2-Quad-Processor-Q9450-% 2812M-Cache-2_66-GHz-1333-MHz-FSB%29

I'd love to see test results on a piece of video, using my current chip, and going up to th an i7 like you have.  All tests I've ever seen are ALWAYS for gamers,

and it seems there's just nowhere to go to see tests for people using premiere.

example:

video 1 - 1080p AVCHD footage 2 minutes in duration.

time to render:

x seconds with this chip

x seconds with this chip

etc....

you just cannot find this kind of info out there, well I've never found it.

good luck with the new card ! I know we are all drooling here !

Dave.

I've got the 570 1280 gb version, so going up to 2 gb would be a big step for me, will wait and see what unfolds.  Nice

Studio North wrote:

Hi,

Dave

I ordered the current available 2gb Version of the GTX 680.

My System spec at Present is:

Asus P6T7 WS with 980x 4.2GHZ,

The card has Arived this morning, will do some tests and see what it can do.

Baz

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 26, 2012 10:20 AM   in reply to David Zeno

David, it evident that you have not been to PPBM5.com where you can see almost 800 real Premiere Pro benchmarks.  I have to apologize to Baz that his results are not on the current database driven site, we (actually Harm) developed quite automated way to enter results after he submitted his results.  The early results from Studio North can be seen in our older PPBM5 results page.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 26, 2012 7:33 PM   in reply to Bill Gehrke

Hi Bill,

no, I've neard heard of it, but am looking at it now.  I have to say though it's very confusing.  It would be good if there was a link to a youtube video describing all these columns on info.

I don't see anywhere a field with "render time" or "elapsed render time" so I have no clue where that info is.

I'm assuming that everyone rendered the same file, and these values were entered on that webiste.... but where ?  I just don't see it listed.

What I'm looking for is values of the total time it took to render a file, either in minutes + seconds, or total seconds.

I don't see it, am I blind ?

:-(

Dave.

Bill Gehrke wrote:

David, it evident that you have not been to PPBM5.com where you can see almost 800 real Premiere Pro benchmarks.  I have to apologize to Baz that his results are not on the current database driven site, we (actually Harm) developed quite automated way to enter results after he submitted his results.  The early results from Studio North can be seen in our older PPBM5 results page.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 26, 2012 7:58 PM   in reply to David Zeno

The file everyone downloaded is on the Benchmark Instructions page.

If you look on the Benchmark Results - Test results page you can see times it took for people to run the benchmark.

If you look at the rankings on the left mine is # 551

It took a total of 622 seconds to complete the benchmark.  Almost 6 times slower than # 1

Run the test yourself and you will know where your system stacks up to others.

GLenn

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 26, 2012 8:22 PM   in reply to Powered by Design

Hi Glenn 

thanks for the help.  I'm just shutting down for the night but will check this out tomorrow and spend some time with it,

thank again for the help !

Dave.