Skip navigation
TaoMannaDon
Currently Being Moderated

Plugins and Lightroom 4 and Photoshop CS6 beta

Mar 24, 2012 4:38 PM

Yesterday I downloaded the CS6 beta of Photoshop. I then quickly uninstalled it because:

None of my plugins showed up in CS6

Lightroom 4 would only permit editing in CS6, nor CS5.

In other words, CS6 stalled my normal workflow and I couldn't see a way to fix it. So I didn't get any time to play with the beta. Is this what I should have expected with the beta? Or can I re-install and change some settings to permit Lightroom to use both or either CS5 and CS6 as external editors and to access my plugins from CS6? If that's possible, how do I do it? The new Photoshop has features I want to use but I need my plugins and Lightroom external editing connection to keep working.

Thanks, Don

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 24, 2012 5:36 AM   in reply to TaoMannaDon

You might have plug-ins that have their own installer program.  Have you tried to install them properly?

Message was edited by: acresofgreen This thread discusses how to add an additional external editor to Lightroom.  If you follow the steps you should be able to select what version of Photoshop you want to use with Lightroom.  http://forums.adobe.com/thread/978905?tstart=90

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 24, 2012 10:29 AM   in reply to TaoMannaDon

I am pretty sure you have to re-install all those plugins for every version of Photoshop you want them to work with.  I know you do with the OnOne plug-ins.  When you upgraded to Lightroom 4, it replaced the Lightroom 3 application and took over your old settings.  With Photoshop it is different:  Your Photoshop CS5 and CS6 are separate applications on your computer.  This is a good thing because sometimes there is a good reason to use an older version of Photoshop instead of the current one.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 24, 2012 10:53 AM   in reply to acresofgreen

I installed Lightroom 4.  I still have Lightroom 3 and both of them work.  Also, both find my plugins.  The difference might be that my Topaz plugins run fron/through Topaz Fusion and not directly?

Anyway, I also find that Lightroom only wants to Export to CS6 and then CS6 doesn't find my Topaz Plugins.  I really like my Topaz plugins.  Without them, I will also be uninstalling CS6. 

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 24, 2012 2:01 PM   in reply to rick_ryan@cox.net

Orange_FLTR wrote:

I installed Lightroom 4.  I still have Lightroom 3 and both of them work.  Also, both find my plugins.  The difference might be that my Topaz plugins run fron/through Topaz Fusion and not directly?

Hmmm... I was mistaken about Lightroom then.   I actually thought that my Lightroom 3 replaced my LR 2, but I just looked and lo and behold LR 2 is still there.  Sorry about that! 

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 24, 2012 3:45 PM   in reply to acresofgreen

acresofgreen wrote:

I am pretty sure you have to re-install all those plugins for every version of Photoshop you want them to work with.  I know you do with the OnOne plug-ins.  <...>

I can confirm that for Nik plugins, at least on my iMac.  I installed CS6b and the Nik plugins were not available.  I re-installed Nik Plugins and they saw CS6b.  After the install of each plugin finished it was available in CS6b.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 24, 2012 4:34 PM   in reply to TaoMannaDon

As far as Topaz goes: go to your PS5 plug in folder. Copy the Topaz items you find there. Paste them in the plug in folder in PS6B and for me, all my topaz filters appear in the PS6b filter menu.

jos denis

W7 64 bit

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 25, 2012 6:08 AM   in reply to howintheworld

did that no luck, Unfortunately Topaz installer does not allow one to point it to where you want their files installed, even if I cut and past to the CS6

Plug-in folder, CS6 does not acknowledge them

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 25, 2012 12:31 PM   in reply to wpnussbaumer

I just sucessfully integrated Topaz Adjust 5.0 by following the steps (for Windows) listed here:  http://topazlabs.com/support/kb/index.php?View=entry&EntryID=342

3. If you are still unable to access Topaz after doing the steps above then please do the following:

Go to your preferences menu in Photoshop and select Plug-ins. Check / enable the Additional Plug-ins Folder option then click Choose. After that, please navigate to:

For Mac :

Macintosh HD -> Library -> Application Support -> Topaz Labs -> Adjust -> Plug-ins and select the Adjust plug-in.

For Windows:

C: \ Program Files \ Topaz Labs \ Adjust \ Plug-ins and select the Adjust plug-in.

Then click save / OK to save this back to Photoshop. Back in Photoshop click OK to save your changes, then restart Photoshop. Once Photoshop opens, go to your Filter menu and you should be able to access Topaz.

Edit:    It seems that you can only add one additional plug-in folder using this method.   I may go back and try the other tips on that support page.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 25, 2012 12:39 PM   in reply to wpnussbaumer

I did not use any of the Topaz installers. The files to copy in the plugins folder are just shortcuts. After copying these shortcuts to the PS6b plugins folder, all the topaz pugins appeared in the filter menu.

Jos

W7 64 bit

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 25, 2012 1:02 PM   in reply to acresofgreen

works.  Thanks, just select TOPAZ, not the each indivial  filterset, everything in the TOPAZ folder installs

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points