Replies 1 2 3 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 7, 2012 10:33 AM   in reply to Dylanpatricknyc

Amen Dylanpatricknyc

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 7, 2012 10:45 AM   in reply to Dylanpatricknyc

Ok, I guess if you are wanting to edit the raw file camera raw in Photoshop it might not work properly.  But my question is WHY?  Lightroom has the same controls as camera raw, why would you be going into PS to do the same thing as you are doing in Lightroom.  Once you do any pixel editing, which is what I use PS for, you are going to have to save out a TIFF correct?  In my mind I just can't see any possible reason I would want to edit a picture in Lightroom and camera raw.  And to geb01, I'm pretty sure you are wrong.  I'm not going to reinstall CS4 and Lightroom 3 to test it, but I can bet if you try to edit a Lightroom 3 file in CS4 you will get the same dialog, perhaps I'm thinking of CS3 and Lightroom 3.  Or who knows, I could be thinking of CS3 and Lightroom 2, but I know I've been through this before. But whichever it is they do eventually make you update Photoshop if you want to keep camera raw and Lightroom on the same version, otherwise you just render in Lightroom.  I will leave this conversation if you like, I just seem to be the only one here that has been through this before and can explain this isn't anything new.  I completely agree though that you should be able to call tech support and they should explain this, or they should tell you before upgrade, so bad on Adobe for that. 

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 7, 2012 12:57 PM   in reply to Jeff Schewe

thank you Jeff! As I have upgraded to ACR 6.7 and use PV 2012 in Lr4, all is well.

The only problem would be if I wanted to tweak the dng in Photoshop, I would be dumped back to PV 2010, which defeats the entire purpose and so I wouldn't do that.

I don't see what all the fuss is about, unless the workflow doesn't work for Nikons.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 8, 2012 6:38 PM   in reply to roland_slee@yahoo.com

Here is what I am using and it seems to be working for me.  LR4, PS5, ACR 6.6.  I tried it 3 times using the .NEF file.  Once making a variety of adjustments, picking edit in PS, clicked open anyway and all adjustments showed up in PS.  Tried another with no adjustments and it opened with no adjustments, and a third with heavy vibrance and it showed up fine in PS.  Camera is a Nikon D2X.  So I don't know, am I missing something, because it all looks good here.

Bryan

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 8, 2012 6:45 PM   in reply to Bryan Smith

Just to be clear, the 3 files I have open right now are all the .NEF as stated in the tab at the top of the window in CS5.

EDIT:  When I saved the resulting .tiff from PS and went back to LR, the gallery view updated to show there were 2 files in a stack; the .NEF and the .tiff.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 8, 2012 11:47 PM   in reply to Jeff Schewe

which is not true for me:

- LR4 on Win/ / 64 bit

- Canon raw file converted to DNG

- PV2012

- Using some of the new sliders of LR4 (like highlights)

- edit in CS5 (with ACR 6.7RC installed)

- open with "open anyway"

- edits do NOT show up in CS5 !!

- open wit "render in LR"

- edits do show up in CS5, but new tif/psd file created

regards

Daniel

|
    Mark as:
    Calculating status...
    Mar 9, 2012 5:49 AM   in reply to roland_slee@yahoo.com

I am having the same issue.  Adjustments made to my raw files are not showing up in Photoshop.  I was just told by tech support that "Raw files edited in Lightroom 4 will not open in Photoshop CS5." He said they are working on an updated ACR that will be released in CS6 some point this year.  When I told him if that was the case Lightroom 4 should still be in beta he told me "That is why you still have Lightroom 3, so you can edit raw files."

I'm not quite sure he understands how Lightroom and Photoshop are used.

...Currently waiting on hold to talk to a supervisor.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 9, 2012 6:42 AM   in reply to steveg55

I don't understand why Adobe is so silent and unhelpful with this ongoing issue.  Render using Lightroom is not an acceptable workflow solution for many of us, nor is waiting until some unknown date in the future for a  version of ACR that works.  It doesn't seem to be a big ask for LR4 to work the same as LR3 in combination with the currently released versions of ACR and Photoshop.  Again I have to say its especially disconcerting given its a repeat of the same problem experienced with the release of LR3.  The offered work-arounds are just that, not a solution.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 9, 2012 6:49 AM   in reply to geb01

Exactly - the least they could do is give an estimated date for the ACR update.  Instead we have to wonder if it will be a free update to CS5 or if we will have to upgrade to CS6 as the first tech support guy told me (the supervisor said she couldn't say).

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 9, 2012 6:53 AM   in reply to roland_slee@yahoo.com

I see that some of the people having a problem are first converting from RAW to DNG.  What happens if you don't convert to DNG, but just edit the RAW file in LR, with ACR 6.7RC installed and open anyway, ignoring the warning?

|
    Mark as:
  • askarphoto
    17 posts
    Jan 28, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 9, 2012 6:56 AM   in reply to roland_slee@yahoo.com

I am a big fan of LR and the beta looked as a grate improvement but now with the full version of LR4 it appears to be "buggy". I have still LR3 on my mac book and I am hesitating to switch at the moment (especially as of my printing issues). so I hope Adobe will soon bring a update...

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 9, 2012 6:58 AM   in reply to f00sion

Just tried the raw NEF and the adjustments didn't show up in PS.  With DNG's sometimes the adjustments transfer to PS, but mostly they don't.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 9, 2012 7:04 AM   in reply to steveg55

When you get the warning message, choose "Render using Lightroom".  All the edits are then visible in Photoshop, or they are with me (Nikon NEF raw files).  The only downside I can see is that it creates the TIF immediately, rather than only when you save it in Photoshop.  Not exactly a big deal. 

If you've previously chosen "Open anyway" and checked the "don't show this again" box, then maybe you need to go to Edit menu, preferences, general tab and click "Reset all warning dialogs"

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 9, 2012 7:11 AM   in reply to CSS Simon

Sorry, but for me it is a "big deal" - I often open a file in CS5 which I don't want to save back as I just need a copy of certain image elements to add to an other image.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 9, 2012 7:15 AM   in reply to CSS Simon

Thanks Simon, that works for me.  I had previously hidden the message box.

It's just frustrating that LR4 was released with the intention of not being completely compatible with PS and they think that's okay.  They also were unable to give me the workaround that you did and instead told me that I should go back to using LR3 when I wanted to work on RAW files.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 9, 2012 7:24 AM   in reply to dasar

dasar wrote:

Sorry, but for me it is a "big deal" - I often open a file in CS5 which I don't want to save back as I just need a copy of certain image elements to add to an other image.

Point taken.  I do the same thing sometimes, and (until there's a compatible version of ACR) it means I have to delete the created TIF in LR afterwards, if I don't want it.  It's an inconvenience, but (I'd say) not a total disaster, as there's a work-around. 

|
    Mark as:
  • askarphoto
    17 posts
    Jan 28, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 9, 2012 7:45 AM   in reply to roland_slee@yahoo.com

Have you tested Camara RAW 6.7 beta it should fix the issue.

http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/cameraraw6-7/

I haven't jet tested it...

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 9, 2012 7:50 AM   in reply to askarphoto

askarphoto wrote:

Have you tested Camara RAW 6.7 beta it should fix the issue.

No, I don't like to use betas or Release Candidates on live work (I used LR4 beta on copies of files).  I'll wait for the real thing to be released. 

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 9, 2012 7:52 AM   in reply to steveg55

In this (and many) cases, Tech Support doesn't have a clue about the software or any solutions that might be found to problems you might be having. I have found that the last place I would turn for help is Tech Support. Save your nickle. There is obviously some sort of problem with the new release and I think the solution is most likely to be found here in the forums.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 9, 2012 7:54 AM   in reply to askarphoto

Yeah, I installed it (it's not beta but RC) but as described in one of my earlier posts the problem is NOT fixed by that

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 9, 2012 8:17 AM   in reply to dasar

Dasar, you reported that you are not seeing your changes in these conditions:

- LR4 on Win/ / 64 bit

- Canon raw file converted to DNG

- PV2012

- Using some of the new sliders of LR4 (like highlights)

- edit in CS5 (with ACR 6.7RC installed)

- open with "open anyway"

- edits do NOT show up in CS5 !!

- open wit "render in LR"

- edits do show up in CS5, but new tif/psd file created

This is truly odd because we are doing exactly the same thing, and we have the same software but my result is different from yours. The edits do show up in PsCs5 and the final file, saved as a psd shows up automatically in the Lr catalogue.

This is what I just did.

Using Lr4 on Windows 7/ 64 bit

Canon raw file converted to DNG

I changed the colour of the file to blue, so as to be sure that the file opening in Ps will be unmistakeable in when it opens as having been changed in Lr.

Right click, choose edit in, edit in PsCs5, then in the dialogue box I chose "edit a copy with Lr adjustments, open anyway.

The adjusted file opens in PsCs5, and I know it is the Lr adjustment because it is blue

I applied a levels command make it very light, so as to distinguish it from my original adjusted file.

I save as, choose psd.

The insipid light blue file pops up in the Lr catalogue as the psd I just saved.

I wonder if you would try it again, and let us know if that doesn't work for you? If it doesn't then something really odd is happening, given that we have done the same things with the same setup with different results.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 9, 2012 8:47 AM   in reply to KateMann

I tried it again and it happens as I described before:

When you switch from PV2010 to PV2012 some (only some !!) of the sliders in the develop module change their name

If I modify settings which name didn't change (i.e. "exposure") these changes are transferd to CS5 if you open the file with "open anyway"

If I modify setting which name did change (i.e. "recovery") these changes are not transfered to CS5

I'm in Germany and using the german version so probably in the english version the names stay the same.
    In PV 2010 have for "Wiederherstellung (recovery)" an available scale from 0..100;
    with PV2012 "Lichter" and the scale is  -100...+100, so in my case going to -100 for "Lichter" is not reflected in CS5

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 9, 2012 9:02 AM   in reply to roland_slee@yahoo.com

There is nothing here going on that should be a mystery. The bottom line is this:

- PV2012 requires Camera RAW 7.0. This is currently only available in Lightroom 4. There is no Camera RAW 7.0 plugin for CS5. The 6.6 (released) and 6.7 (release candidate) RAW plugins for CS5 do not completely support PV2012. I've tested this carefully. Whether or not you get the warning when doing an "Edit in CS5" from Lightroom 4, (I do, even with CS5/RAW 6.7), the process of opening a RAW file from LR4 into CS5 this way is not a perfect process - there are slight differences in the end result, depending on your PV2012 develop settings. Along with this, another simple test that anyone can perform is to bump an image up to PV2012 in LR4 and then try importing that image directly into CS5/RAW 6.7, without going through Lightroom (the PV and develop settings will be stored with the RAW file, either internally or through a sidecar file). CS5/RAW 6.7 will immediately decline to show you the develop settings in the Exposure screen in the RAW import dialog and will tell you that you need to convert down to PV2010 if you want to make any adjustments. So essentially, the PV2012-into-CS5/6.7 workflow is approximate and not fully supported.

- The only true solution for this is a Camera RAW 7.0 plugin for Photoshop that's fully compatible with PV2012. (as carefully noted above, the 6.7 plugin does not resolve this). If Adobe makes a 7.0 plugin available for CS5, then this would fix the workflow between LR4 and CS5. If Adobe does not make a RAW 7.0 plugin for CS5, and if the only RAW 7.0 plugin tha's released is for CS6, then anyone who wants a fully bridged/compatible workflow between LR4 and Photoshop will need to upgrade to CS6.

- A workaround for this is to have LR4 render your image out to TIFF as a go-between, in which case the PV2012 development is fully baked into the image before CS5 ever gets it. This produces perfectly developed results, but at the cost of time, drive space, and overall convenience.The directly bridged import via a fully compatible RAW plugin is much faster, more convenient, and doesn't create temporary (large) TIFF files on your drive as a result. The workaround solution is slower, and means that each "Edit in CS5" generates an extra TIFF file. One other situation for which the "render to TIFF" workflow is not workable is Smart Objects. If you want to bring a RAW image from LR4 into a Smart Object in Photoshop, then Photoshop has to be directly compatible with the PV2012 engine in LR, and this process will not work at all unless there's a RAW 7.0 plugin in Photoshop.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 9, 2012 9:09 AM   in reply to dasar

I'm doing some further tests and it seems it is not so "simple" as I originally thought:

Belichtung /Exposure     -5: OK     +5: OK

Kontrast /contrast          -100: OK     +100: OK

Lichter / Recovery          -100: not OK     +100: OK

Tiefen / Fill Light (?)        -100: OK          +100: OK

Weiss / Whites              -100 OK           +100: OK

the rest I didn't test yet.

OK means transferred to CS5, Not OK means not transferred.

So probably there is a problem onlx with recovery ???

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 9, 2012 9:14 AM   in reply to dasar

Recovery and fill light are not PV2012 adjustments.  The PV2012 adjustments are exposure, contrast, highlights, shadows, whites, blacks.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 9, 2012 9:20 AM   in reply to dasar

I'm doing some further tests and it seems it is not so "simple" as I originally thought:

Belichtung /Exposure -5: OK +5: OK

Kontrast /contrast -100: OK +100: OK

as I said, I had no english version in front of me, so make that:

Lichter / HighlightsRecovery      -100: not OK      +100: OK

Tiefen / ShadowsFill Light (?)      -100: OK      +100: OK

Weiss / Whites -100 OK +100: OK

the rest I didn't test yet.

OK means transferred to CS5, Not OK means not transferred.

So probably there is a problem only with highlights recovery ???

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 9, 2012 9:36 AM   in reply to dasar

For what it's worth, highlights @ -100 is ok for me.

It seems all this works for some, doesn't work for others.  A portion of those for whom it doesn't work haven't set things up propoerly, the rest are having a genuine problem.

It would be nice of Adobe were to do something about this.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 9, 2012 10:41 AM   in reply to f00sion

some more tests:

highlights set to -100 for the following files and then transferred to CS5:

JPG   imported with LR3/PV2010 then converted to PV2012:      OK

TIF     imported with LR3/PV2010 then converted to PV2012:      OK

DNG  imported with LR3/PV2010 then converted to PV2012:      not OK

CR2   imported with LR4/PV2012 no conversion:                        OK

DNG  imported with LR4/PV2012 no conversion:                        OK

??

Daniel

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 10, 2012 9:53 AM   in reply to roland_slee@yahoo.com

Further, Lightroom 4 seems to have a color profile issue when printing.  Going back to version 3 seems to print better.  I'll look forward to this fix.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2012 2:34 PM   in reply to roland_slee@yahoo.com

In the same pop up window as 'Edit in Photoshop CS5' you'll see 'Render in LightRoom'...DO THIS ACTION.  LightRoom will save a 16-bit TIF file identical to the RAW file you were intending to develop for PS.  The TIF file will be placed next to the RAW file in your thumbnail panel...Select the TIF, go back to the 'Edit in Photoshop CS5' option and you'll now open a 16-bit TIF file in PS with ALL the applied edits from LightRoom (essentially it works as a 'pre-render').  This is the best solution I have come across while Adobe fixes these issues.

Hope that helps!  It has for me.  Cheers.

Chris.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2012 10:21 PM   in reply to roland_slee@yahoo.com

Wish I could get my money back.

LR4 is just not up to the task of doing heavy production work.

The raw 7.0 issuse is a big deal with me. On big files when tyring to edit form LR4 to CS5- CS5 hangs.

Also very slow even without the raw issue

Workarounds are awkward and time consuming. Eat up critical disk space. I have to edit 100 or more 22 MB or greater files for each job.

All fixes suggested did not work for me. CS6 beta is not an option. I would not trust it.  Espically after my upgrade experience with LR4.

I do not know any profcessional that would want to put his work in the hands of a beta or unstable product.

Had to reinstall 3.6 which works fine.

Just paid for a piece of software that i cannot use.

Plus not getting any help from Adobe on resolving this issue.

Thank you Adobe.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2012 10:26 PM   in reply to Mylenium

For the recond in response to Mylenium above,

The LR4 I am using is not Beta.

I paid for the upgrade.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2012 10:57 PM   in reply to zawackij

zawackij,

Adobe has a 30-day money back guarantee, so you can get your money back if you want to.

John

John G. Blair Studio

Occidental, California

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 24, 2012 8:57 AM   in reply to roland_slee@yahoo.com

Perhaps this has already been answered (I didn't read every post in this thread).

I'm using LR4 and Photoshop CS4. The Camera Raw module for Photoshop CS4 is an older version and is not current with the LR4 raw processing module. So when exporting from LR4 to PS, I get the camera raw 7.0 warning message, as you do. You have two options.

1. Render using LightRoom.

If you render the image using LR, what opens in PS will look the same as what is displayed in your LR library or develop module, since it is using the same exact raw processing module and algorithm LR is using. From what I can tell, it will use the external editing presets you chose in LR4 preferences. In my case, LR4 editing preferences are set to PSCS4, PSD, Adobe RGB, 16-bit, so when the image enters PS, it will conform to these parameters.

2. Open anyway.

If you "Open Anyway", whatever version of ACR you have installed on your machine will be used to convert the image for opening in Photoshop. Since it is an older version of ACR (especially in my case, since I am still using PSCS4), the image will look different than it does in LR. After all, it is using an older algorithm. I definitely see a difference between the LR preview and the image in PS if I "open anyway". Of course, if I were using the same ACR version that LR4 uses, they should be identical.

So, if you want the image opened in PS to look the same as it does in LR, you need to do one of two things:

• Render the image using LR
    • Or, make sure you are using a current version of PS with the very latest version of Camera Raw, so both LR and PS are using the same raw conversion engine.

Since I plan on sticking with PSCS4, I will render using LR. I think this is accurate and correct—at least it totally jives with my experience and results.

Lou

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 24, 2012 12:05 PM   in reply to Lou Dina

Lou, I think that's spot on.  It's what I used to do with LR3 before I upgraded to CS5 (probably my last ever version of Photoshop, given the new upgrade policy). 

The only disadvantage is that you get a TIF copy before you open the image in PS.  If you are going to use the image in combination in another picture (so you wouldn't save the file in PS) then it means you end up with a TIF you don't want and have to delete.  Also, I guess "Open as smart object" won't work reliably. 

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 31, 2012 1:27 PM   in reply to geb01

I am having the same workflow (LR4 > PSCS% > LR4) 'difficulty'!

The "you need ACR 7" seems to be the only constant.

I completed an Adobe survey yesterday following  a review of postings on this site. My bottom line answer still remains "Adobe has stopped paying attention to detail, leading to sloppy software.

I also note the meager employee input on this issue and the lack of any reasonable explanation.

I really want to love Adobe software, but they make everything so difficult and convoluted to make a connection; and then it's "Oh, we will be releasing an update to another piece of software sometime in the future (holding my breath)

and that will solve all the problems - expelled all the held breath and not going to hold it any longer.

Come on Adobe - you owe your installed base and salary providers so much more than what you are currently providing.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 31, 2012 2:00 PM   in reply to Yorkie Dad

There's no longer any mystery here.

(1) If you want direct LR4 editing in Photoshop for RAW files, you need Photoshop CS6. You can download the CS6 beta today, install it and try it out - it works perfectly.

(2) If you want direct LR4 editing in CS5 or earlier: See #1, above. Unless things change - and the silence from Adobe would seem to indicate that things will not change - upgrading to CS6 will necessary for direct RAW editing from LR4.

(3) If you prefer not to upgrade to CS6, then you'll need to "flatten" your RAW edits into a TIFF file as a go-between when working with LR4 and CS5-or-earlier.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 31, 2012 7:09 PM   in reply to dmiller62

OR... Adobe could not jack its customers around by not releasing a paid upgrade that required software from a beta to work or workarounds that don't fit everyone's work flow - as has been said multiple times in this thread.

ALL it has to do is work like LR3 worked with CS5 - it is a simple as that.

I find it interesting Adobe has yet to respond to any of this after the initial thread started.  Seems to me that says they know they have a problem without a solution.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 31, 2012 7:34 PM   in reply to geb01

This is the normal upgrade path, since the first Lightroom and from the inception of Adobe Camera Raw.

PS V7 (ACR 1.x)

PS CS (ACR 2.x)

PS CS 2 (ACR 3.x)

LR V 1.x requires PS CS3 (ACR 4.x) for 100% compatability.

LR V 2.x requires PS CS4 (ACR 5.x) for 100% compatability.

LR V 3.x requires PS CS5 (ACR 6.x) for 100% compatability.

LR V 4.x requires PS CS6 (ACR 7.x) for 100% compatability.

Its simple math.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 31, 2012 9:21 PM   in reply to DdeGannes

And it would be simple logic to NOT release LR 4 until PS CS6 is available (not as a beta).

...and it's still wrong to force people to upgrade over something like this which could easily be fixed with an update.

|
    Mark as:
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points