Skip navigation
amuzet
Currently Being Moderated

interruption of sound in a downloaded sequence

Mar 24, 2012 9:40 AM

I have transfered several video sequences into my project. One of them (the last one) has an interrupted sound  in its second part while the sound is present throughout this sequence in the original file saved.

This happened once already in a sequence placed first of a long serie in another project. The sound was interrupted for one minute or so in the middle of the sequence.

What can I do to save this silent part?

Thank you

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 24, 2012 9:49 AM   in reply to amuzet

The first thing that I would look into is the completion of the Conforming process. If that is interrupted, the classic issue is a truncated Audio Stream. The Waveform is usually "flat-line" at that point, though not always.

See this ARTICLE for more info on Conforming.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 24, 2012 10:17 AM   in reply to amuzet

You stated that the last Clip exhibited this issue:

One of them (the last one) has an interrupted sound  in its second part while the sound is present throughout this sequence in the original file saved.

As PrElements does not have Sequences, like PrPro does, I assume that you are referring to Clips. Is that correct?

When you look closely at the Audio Waveform Display (you might need to do both a horizontal and vertical zoom on that Audio Track), does it go "flat-line?"

As a test, Delete that problem Clip from the Timeline, and the Project Panel. Import it again, and watch for the little progress bar in the lower-right. When it has completed,  drag that newly Imported Clip to the Timeline. Does the Audio still drop out?

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 24, 2012 11:15 AM   in reply to amuzet

No. If the Conforming was interrupted, the CFA file will not be completely written for the full Duration of the Imported Clip. It will likely be truncated, at the point, where it was interrupted.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 24, 2012 11:24 AM   in reply to amuzet

So, the Audio Stream of the Imported, muxed Clip is always truncated at the exact same point on each Import, and the Waveform Diplay (the PEK file) shows flat-line at the exact same spot each time?

That partial interruption could also be caused by some outside program, such as an active, real-time anti-virus/malware program, getting into the process of Conforming. I always recommend tuning such programs OFF, when editing. They can cause all sorts of problems. Same with Windows Indexing.

Then, maybe its time to discuss the problem file in more detail.

What are the full specs. of the file, format, CODEC, Duration, etc.?

I think that you indicated that the "missing Audio" played in the Source Monitor correctly. Is that correct, or have I confused threads? Note: the Source Monitor is but a player, and will be directly accessing the file on the HDD, where the Timeline, and Program Monitor, will be accessing the CFA file in the Media Cache.

As you have probably written several CFA files into the Media Cache now, I would Delete the CFA files, and then launch PrE, Open the Project, and let it recreate those CFA files automatically. It could be that there is still a link to the first, and bad, CFA file.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 24, 2012 2:09 PM   in reply to amuzet

Can you give us the full details of your problem Clip?

Also, have you done any work in the Audio Mixer?

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 25, 2012 9:29 AM   in reply to amuzet

I save the clips on my computer with the PMB program.

I wonder if the PMB program is doing something, that PrE is having an issue with.

Just is just speculation, but with flash media, there are file size limitations, and most cameras "span" those smaller segments, to then seamlessly assemble them later. At the point of the "spanning," I have read of issues arising. Think about the problem files. Could they be spanned on your card?

If you just Copy one of the problem files from the card to the computer's HDD (say with Windows Explorer), and then use PrE's Importing module, Get Media, do you get a problem then?

Just thinking of possible causes here, so straws ARE being grasped at. I think that there is a similar thread in the PrPro Forum (not sure if it was in CS 5/5.5, or CS 4 and Earlier?), that also had two common elements - a Sony camera and the PMB program. Unfortunately, I have not been able to find it. IIRC, that user's problem was major OOS (Out Of Sync) where the files spanned, once Imported into PrPro. If I can find it, I will link to it, just in case there is something useful in it.

Wish that I had more.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 25, 2012 12:33 PM   in reply to amuzet

I had a rather odd sound issue last month. It was with a standard DV widescreen project and while all my clips loaded straight without redlines the sound on a few of the clips was very muffled. But I found it was fine when I shared to DVD.

In the end I pinned it down to a setting in my sound card (a Creative X-Fi card capable of 5:1 sound). My card was set to 5:1 speakers and all the sound card diagnostics showed it was working. But I set it to 'Headphones' and all the clips then played correctly. So if you have the option on your sound card software set it to 'Headphones' or 'Stereo' and see if that makes any difference.

Cheers,

--

Neale

Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers