Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

What will I lose if I delete lightroom 4?

Mar 24, 2012 8:41 AM

Tags: #lightroom #no #4 #service #customer

I've had it...I want to SAFELY go back to LR 3.6...and I'm scared.  I don't want to lose anything, but I'm willing to lose all edits since I installed LR4, which for me has been a nightmare, with no help from Adobe. Can I just "uninstall" and try reinstalling, as normal...what will I lose?  I am so gun shy - I tried just switching back to LR3.6 having not deleted it and it is broken too, and a handful of previews load, then others try to load, taking far far too long.  If previews do load, they disappear when I scroll up or down (if it lets me).  I've tried all the suggestions on this forum that I understand and are somewhat basic.  I've checked my CPU usage, and system, which should be more than adequate and find nothing wrong here to indicate that it wasn't LR4 causing this, especially after reading other's posts. 

Adobes lack of customer service is astounding.  Their design of sending us looping through the help system only to advertise their products and "services"  is worse than no help in my opinion.  Frustration from near non stop 3 days of trying to get this fixed.  I did receive a couple of replies to questions I posted on the forum, so I appreciate that.  Unfortunately, I'm where I was before.  Am I missing something?  Is there help that I don't know about? 

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 24, 2012 10:41 AM   in reply to rosalynsam

Unless you uninstalled it you still have LR3. You don't have to do anything, just use it. It uses a different catalog. If you made metadata changes in LR4 and wrote them to the files, LR3 will tell you and you'll have to decide what to do.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 24, 2012 1:33 PM   in reply to rosalynsam

You will lose PV 2012 edit capability, the amazing editing of RAW and jpeg files, the way that upping the shadow detail does not introduce 1/10th as much noise as fill did. You will lose the ability to lift the whites and drop the blacks, the ability to add the incredible clarity and compromise its crushing blacks by reducing the black levels.

Tintswalo Safari Lodgefile044_hamishNIVENPhotography.jpg

You will lose the ability to Geotag your photos using data from GPS trackers or iphones or similar machines that generate the necessary GPX (?) files.

You will lose the ability to make books with a company called  BLURB.

You will also miss the headaches and the issues, the slowness and the frustrations.

Why not use LR4 for all your new images? rather than importing all your old images from LR3.X catalogs?

There is a great deal of info on ways to reduce the lags, the issues, the slowness. YES some are workarounds, some are / rather should be unncessary, but they DO work.

I have catalogs on USB 2 drives. They work, but I'm mostly adding new images to these and I can cope with some slowness, fortunately I'm either very lucky with my laptop having very few issues.

I restart LR4 on my laptop every hour or so. So what it takes 30 seconds. I lose that every 2 edits, so its not a realistic issue. Its a FXKNG PITA that LR4 does not work properly, but fill in the bug reports on their get satisfaction forum.

This was posted 2-3 weeks ago on the bug forum http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/lr4_0_reacts_ext remely_slow  but why it was not posted on here is totally beyond me. Whoever is doing LR4's marketing and social awareness is in need of a new job as a prison janitor as they are not communicating with their public.

I've been asking questions on Twitter and facebook, and posting comments - fair, but honest, and I'd recommend making noise on twitter / facebook / Google + as this is where comments will get noticed, they can't shut down threads or delete comments.

All that negativity and educated derisement will cause them more pain in the real world. This is where voices are heard and companies have to listen, or mud does stick.

Make comments on twitter using the hash tag #lightroom #LR4, you can also put these on Facebook messsages, google+ and Linkedin.

All these really make a very very strong impression on companies, they should listen to social networking and if they dont, they are so 20C.

LR 4 will get sorted, it seems to be 2 main issues - dual displays and over enthusiastic disk access - for some reason more prevalent on certain drives - whether SSD or not, I'm uncertain.

Til then, if you are going back, use your LR4 catalog for the stufff you've edited in LR4 - why not export all the most recent stuff as a new catalog and use that when you need to, and go back to the backup LR3.X catalog that was generated when you upgraded to LR4

least you can cope with the slowness of those images you worked on in LR4, but have your main catalog as LR3.x

Good luck and I hope this helped.

Everyone else, on twitter, follow #lightroom and see the noise there, and those with issues, post positive, fair but DAMMING comments so #adobe #takeNOTE and #listen to the #disenfranshised

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 24, 2012 1:54 PM   in reply to hamish niven

Her question was clearly not what great features will she lose. It was a simple question about losing edits, etc. Asked and answered.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 24, 2012 1:58 PM   in reply to Scooby007

nope - word for word -

What will I lose if I delete lightroom 4?

answered and added to your very correct answer

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 24, 2012 3:23 PM   in reply to hamish niven

I suspect Brett is right - that Rosalyn was talking about screwing things up by trying to get back, still I have to agree with Hamish - it seems a shame to return to Lr3 when Lr4/PV2012 is so awesome on so many photos. On the other hand, if you've tried "everything" and still no go - whata ya gonna do??? Although at this point, it sounds like Lr3 is messed up too, so maybe it's time to retry with Lr4...

Lots of ways to trouble-shoot. But I find that seeking a ground zero then working back up is often effective.

For example,

do the problems happen even with a brand new catalog with only a few photos? if not, then it was your catalog causing the problem.

If so, then its something about your system/installation/config...

Rob

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 24, 2012 3:24 PM   in reply to hamish niven

well done and all good Hamish ~

Cheers

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 24, 2012 4:22 PM   in reply to rosalynsam

Hi Rosalyn,

Bummer about your troubles.

Indeed Lr3 can not open an Lr4 catalog.

Did you try creating a new catalog in Lr4, and import just a few new photos? - Same problem in that case too??

I've found that relatively minor glitches in a catalog can really goof up Lightroom sometimes.

This would be a very worthwhile thing to try if you haven't already.

Rob

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 24, 2012 5:00 PM   in reply to rosalynsam

Hmmm......

OK, so I'm not Adobe Tech Support. Still, it sounds like something about your system is really not agreeing with Lightroom.

Not sure what to say, or if I should just keep quiet at this point.

I am curious which OS though(?)

Rob

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 25, 2012 5:58 PM   in reply to rosalynsam

Sorry Rosalyn, if Lightroom does not even work with a new catalog after re-install/re-boot, then I wouldn't know what to do, other than stuff you've probably already done - clear out preferences, previews, presets, caches, and disable all plugins...

Only 1 computer in house? If not, maybe try the other one. Even if not OK to use permanently, it may provide a clue.

Try photos on non-networked drive...

Summary:

=======

There is something in your computer system setup, or Lightroom configuration that Lightroom is not liking (could be just about anything) - your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to find out what (or get around it without ever finding out what).

Wacom tablets have caused such problems, as have graphics adapters/drivers... Also, security software and auto-backup software can sometimes interfere...........

Did Lr4(b/.0) ever work good? or never has??...

Rob

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 25, 2012 3:27 PM   in reply to rosalynsam

Something bothers me about what you said you did when you got LR4.

You said

"I installed LR4, but didn't do anything to " import" photos from LR3 - there were there,

and knew not to expect the old edits to convert to the LR 4 features - which was acceptable.  I didn't do anything to import photos. "

When you started LR4, did you point it at your LR3 catalog?

• If yes -- did it ask to convert it??
    • If you did not point at our LR3 catalog, what did you do???
      • Did you re-import ALL your photos into a new LR4 catalog?

Just your statement above seems a bit strange ???

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 26, 2012 2:39 PM   in reply to rosalynsam

Further to your issue, I also recently installed LR4 and when it opened it has picked up all my LR3 catalogues. I am almost certainit has done this as part of the installation process

Old & Weary

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 26, 2012 3:52 PM   in reply to Old & Weary

I don't recall any behavior fitting this description. When you say "picked up", what exactly do you mean?

In other words, I had to specifically open an Lr3 catalog, and approve it's conversion to Lr4 format, at which time it created a converted copy leaving the original unmodified.

Lr4.0,Win7/64.

R

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 26, 2012 4:23 PM   in reply to Rob Cole

HI Rob

I installed a trial copy of LR4. During the installation process I thought it had stopped and after waiting about 5 minutes it opened and all my folders and collections were displayed within LR4 identical to my LR3 content.

I had assumed that LR4 would install and then give me the option to select the folders and collections that I wanted to 'Update' to LR4. (I didn't select to import my LR# content upon ionstallation)

Interestingly after a complete backup of LR3 I chose then to uninstall LR3. After a reboot and re opening of LR4 it was very slow opening in the first instance but then was slow re acquiring but now has some 60,000 imageswhich appears to be all of my LR # content.

Hope this helps

Old & Weary.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 26, 2012 5:46 PM   in reply to Old & Weary

Thank you for clarifying.

I'm not sure what to say, except maybe the difference in behavior that you and I noticed is due to using the default catalog? (which I don't - and had in fact, deleted it).

Or, were more than one catalog converted automatically, or was a non-default catalog converted?

Interesting that Lr4 was slow to open after uninstalling Lr3 - I would have expected no connection... - shows you what I know .

R

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points