Skip navigation
champion.je
Currently Being Moderated

acrobat quits during saving and then the file and comments are lost

Feb 26, 2012 10:13 PM

Tags: #file #lost_files. #unexpectedl_quits #file_saving

I'm working in acrobat pro x on a 300page pdf.  I am commenting on pages throughout the pdf using stickies.  I try to save the file.  half way through the save process acrobat unexpectedly quits.  when i reopen it says it has recovered the lost file - i click on it and am told that the file cannot be opened and it is lost.  This happend yesterday also so about 4 hours work down the drain!  is there any way around this?  thanks for any suggestions.  If I can't comment safely on the pdf then the wrole reviewing/commenting process becomes unusable...

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 27, 2012 4:51 AM   in reply to champion.je

I would suggest saving periodically, not after 4 hrs of work. Also, use Save As, particularly if you are having such problems. Save as a new PDF name so that you do not lose your latest work. You should be able to alternate between saves. I would always keep the original intact. Other than that, you would need to identify what is causing the shut down.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 21, 2012 10:41 AM   in reply to champion.je

As you have seen, documents with high page counts and large file sizes can become unstable.  Adding several hundred comments to such a document further contributes to the problem.  It's a great feature that everyone loves, but it's not omnipotent, as you have seen!  To avoid this, I always recommend regular exporting of comments to an .fdf file, and always PRIOR to regular saves.  That way, if your files does crash for some reason, the comments can easily be re-imported.  It's also advisable to have a backup, pre-annotation version of your document, as a matter of course.

Other issues to be aware of are file size, CPU usage and, most importantly, available memory.  These are usually the culprits in situations like the one you described, although they provide no advance warning.  In fact, the warning is usually when the file becomes unstable and behaves exactly as you described.  Although your machine may meet the minimum systems requirements to run Acrobat X, when you get into this type of workflow, there is much more at play than most users initially realize.  I wish there was better information available to warn users in advance about these these situations, but I did address these issues extensively in my book, "The PDF Litigation Guide."

Hope that helps!

Jason Covey

PDF Litigation Solutions, LLC

www.pdflitigationguide.com

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers