• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Flash Player with Firefox and W-7 (64 bit)

New Here ,
Mar 21, 2012 Mar 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. I have uninstalled all previous versions of Flash Player and completed the processes of download and install of version 11.1.102.63 to run with Firefox 10.0.2 operating under the 64bit version of Windows 7. Download and Install seem to run and terminate properly.

However, it simply doesn't work and Flash Player seems not to be detected in normal operations  (where web sites advise me to install the Flash Player plugin) or through the Flash Player HELP site (where I cannot see the movie and no error message is shown in the shaded field).

Control Panel shows me that Flash Player 11.1.102.63 is installed and the processes for uninstall seem to work normally.

I'd appreciate any advice or assistance available.

Message was edited by: drawretep

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 21, 2012 Mar 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try a clean install.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 22, 2012 Mar 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pat, Many thanks.

I did all that process and then started to install the downloaded file.

No visible action and no appearance of any icon to indicate progress although there is evidence of communications and disc activity.

Tried again and receive the message “only a single instance of this program can run” (or something to that effect).

Despite restarting and running the uninstaller, I always get the same message.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Peter Ward

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should see your Flash player version and operating system if you go to this page: http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/uninstall-flash-player-windows.html Is that what happens?

As regards the message that only one instance of the program can run, please right click a blank part of the Windows Taskbar and go to Task Manager. Then click the Processes tab and see if you can see the uninstaller running in there. If so, right click it and choose End Process to terminate it.

Incidentally, Firefox 11 has been released: http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/fx/

EDIT: Please provide the link which tells you Flash needs to be installed.

Message was edited by: Xircal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. Thanks again

No: the shaded area stays blank. That’s the same field as did show version data briefly after what I thought might have been a successful install, but when I tried to use the plug-in, there was nothing there. A return visit to the HELP pagfe indicated only the blank area.

I did try accessing the job through Task Manager, but could not see ONE incidence of it running, much less two.

I’ll do the upgrade to Firefox 11.

In the even that I achieve anything hopeful, I’ll let you guys know immediately as I am not, I hope, in the time wasting business.

Thanks again.

Cheers

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi (yet again).

I accessed the Mozilla web site.

It tells me that 10.0.2 is the up to date version: maybe ‘cause I am working in Europe.

QUESTION

I am presently in France, working with a UK version of Firefox, which worked fine with Flash Player until I received a suggestion for an upgrade . . . are we likely to have any conflict of versions and geographies?

Thanks again.

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Geography shouldn't make any difference. I'm in the Netherlands  and I've just returned from vacation in Thailand and didn't experience any problems installing the current version of Flash in both countries in Firefox.

Can you right click a blank part of the Windows Taskbar, go to Task Manager and then click the Processes tab. Can you see "plugin_container.exe" running?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.

No sign of Plugin Container.exe

Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

drawretep wrote:

Hi.

No sign of Plugin Container.exe

Cheers

I think that's where the problem lies then. Plugin_container.exe functions like a sandbox to isolate plugins which might otherwise crash the browser. Flash won't work in Firefox without it. Here's some background info on the subject: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Plugin-container_and_out-of-process_plugins

I'd suggest checking your firewall to see if it's blocking the process. That's the most likely culprit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK. Thanks.

I am running the full McAfee suite but received no warnings during the download of the installer. A module called Site Advisor assesses web sites before they are accessed: Adobe.com is already classified as minimal risk and I understood that this is why I was asked no questions . . McAfee is comfortable with Adobe.

Do you suggest that I kill the firewall from the point of starting the initial download and again until Install is completed?

Task Manager shows “install_flashplayer11x64_mssa_aih_5.exe*32” is a running process: but it doesn’t seem to be doing very much . . .

Should I also kill that process and start again with the Firewall off?

Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

drawretep wrote:

OK. Thanks.

I am running the full McAfee suite but received no warnings during the download of the installer. A module called Site Advisor assesses web sites before they are accessed: Adobe.com is already classified as minimal risk and I understood that this is why I was asked no questions .  . McAfee is comfortable with Adobe.

Do you suggest that I kill the firewall from the point of starting the initial download and again until Install is completed?

Task Manager shows “install_flashplayer11x64_mssa_aih_5.exe*32” is a running process: but it doesn’t seem to be doing very much . . .

Should I also kill that process and start again with the Firewall off?

Cheers

Kill the install_flash player process because it's a 64-bit version and Firefox isn't available yet in that flavour. You need to download the 32-bit version. Download that as a full version from here

Also download the Flash Player uninstaller and run that first (even if you think Flash isn't installed).

Which version of Site Advisor are you running? Versions prior to 3.4.1.195 are on Mozilla's Blocklist: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/blocked/i72

If you're using the Windows Firewall, allow plugin_container.exe through it, otherwise add it to the firewall's network security policy.

The default installation path is C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\plugin-container.exe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks again.

I am running Site advisor 3.4.1.195

I killed the Install Flash Player process in Task Manager

I uninstalled the 64bit version.

I seemed to succeed in installing the 34 bit version, but the result is exactly the same as before. I did this with the Firewall turned off.

I’d guess that I am back to square one although I did have a few challenges trying (and failing) to amend the McAfee network security policy: I tried McAfee virtual technician, but that also failed to install properly . . is that a hint?

Cheers

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OOPS

Plugin container for Firefox IS permitted in McAfee settings.

I just located it.

Sorry.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again.

This is becoming too much of a long haul.

I’ll put Firefox to one side for a while and use Google Chrome with its “integrated” Flash Player.

Many thanks for your help, and If you hear of anything resembling the silver bullet for my problem, do let me know and I’ll give it a try.

For now, we have both wasted too much time on a topic which simply isn’t worth it.

Thanks again and |Cheers

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 23, 2012 Mar 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pat, Hi.

I used the uninstaller and installer that you suggested and got into a series of problems in which your colleague XIRCAL assisted through most of yesterday (Europe time).

We looked at Task manager, Firewall settings and a whole load of other stuff. It’s a long story, believe me.

Given that I wasted about eight hours of my time and probably a similar amount of yours and his, I have decided to abandon play and to revert to Google Chrome and its integrated Flash Player.

If, as and when there is a plug and play solution to the Firefox, W7, McAfee and Flash Player environment that works for me, I’ll give it another go as I prefer (morally) Mozilla to Google.

Thanks to you both for your help and patience: I really do appreciate it.

If I can assist you in terms of researching the problem as a generic rather than a personal one, I’ll be happy to help.

Meantime, thanks again and let’s all get on to better stuff!

Cheers

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply; I can understand that you are tired from trying so many things.

I suggest that you relax for a few days, then try again with the uninstaller and installers from the links in my previous post.

If it still fails, can you post the contents of the FlashInstall.log files from both

• C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash
  • C:\WINDOWS\syswow64\Macromed\Flash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

Before you disappear! If you have time, could you please go to this site: http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/find-version-flash-player.html

Then scroll down to where it says "Find Flash Player version type and capabilities (Flash developers only)" which is near the foot of the page. You'll see "Your Flash Player version" and underneath it: "Debug player". What does it say for "Debug Player"?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again.

The box is blank, like the one at the top of the same page, and no version is shown as being installed: Control Panel says that 11.1.102.63 is installed.

I see no reference to Debug Player at all.

Thanks and let me know if you have any great ideas, but don’t spend much time thinking them up!

Cheers

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

drawretep wrote:

Hi again.

Control Panel says that 11.1.102.63 is installed.

OK, then in the Flash CPL / Advanced tab, middle menu called "Updates", do you see both as shown in the screenshot, or only one? And which one?

flash_cpl.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 25, 2012 Mar 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.

Shows two entries: Active X and Plugin.

Both are . . . . 63.

Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 25, 2012 Mar 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

OK, could you do the following please.

1. Restart Firefox in Safe Mode by clicking Help | Restart with Add-ons disabled (if you can't see the text links, hit the ALT key).
  2. In the next menu which appears, click "Continue in Safe Mode" without checkmarking any of the boxes.
  3. When Firefox restarts, all your add-ons will be disabled. Try and use Flash again. If it works, then it's one of your add-ons which is the culprit.

See this article for more info on Firefox Safe Mode

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

drawretep wrote:

Have you successfully killed that process?  Or does it come back after you restart Windows?

This may be the problem.

When you did the clean install from my first response, your installers should be

• install_flash_player_ax_64bit.exe (for Internet Explorer)
  • install_flash_player_64bit.exe (for other browsers)

These two installers can now be downloaded from the links in http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/installation-problems-flash-player-windows.html#Install_in_a_...

Please try the clean install again, with the (64-bit) uninstaller from http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/uninstall-flash-player-windows.html#main_Download_the_Adobe_F...

One thing that can also prevent the successful installation of Flash Player is the presence of multiple old Java RTE versions; please check your installed programs that you only have the latest JRE, either version 6 update 31, or version 7 update 3.

P.S. one final remark: I use Waterfox 11.0 on my Windows 7 x64 system; Waterfox is the 64-bit version of Firefox.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pat, Hi again.

Thought I had it .

Cleared out the downloaded files and started again.

The process completed successfully and the Adobe Flash Player HELP showed the details of the version and Operating system on the shaded window.

Accessed a site where I knew that Flash Player is required but it indicated that I should “add the required plugin” and highlighted that it was Flash Player that is required.

Left the site without doing anything and re-started Windows.

This time Flash Player HELP showed nothing on the shaded window. The web site again asked for the plug-in.

Control Panel indicates that Flash Player is installed and can be uninstalled conventionally.

My skills are exhausted, so I need any help I can get.

Thanks again

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines