Skip navigation
ApertureGirl2312 2 posts
Mar 25, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Lightroom 3 and raw files w/Nikon D4

Mar 25, 2012 7:57 AM

Tags: #lightroom3 #nikon #raw_files #d4

I can't open raw files in Lightroom 3 shot w/Nikon D4. I have the current raw update. I now have to convert to DNG and that take a long time. Any suggestions?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 25, 2012 9:05 AM   in reply to ApertureGirl2312

You'll have to upgrade to Lightroom 4 or continue to convert to DNG.

Hal

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2012 4:57 AM   in reply to Hal P Anderson

check your Mac carefully before upgrading - mine has plenty of RAM, processor speed and disk space, but its an older 32-bit processor and won't run Lightroom 4, unfortunately this system requirement is not something you'd intuitively check, and its buried in the fine print that you must have a 64-bit processor. I consider myself a power user and have used Macs since 1986, and missed that one.

Luckily Adobe refunded my purchase, after a bit of arguing with their 'concern team.' As mentioned converting the files to DNG works fine and is loss-less in quality, but it also means you need a lot of free hard disk space for those big 16 MP files, because you will basically be creating a second version of them when you convert (although you can immediately delete the originals RAW files after conversion). It would be great if Adobe came out with a patch for Lightroom 3 to read D4 (and for that matter D800) RAW files, but of course adding backwards compatibility makes it harder for them to sell upgrades, so I don't see that happening.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2012 9:28 AM   in reply to ApertureGirl2312

Don't upgrade to Shiteroom 4.1 it's slow, slow, slow! Sticky sliders make it unuseable.  Adobe seem totally unconcerned about this major problem that a lot of users shouting about.  Do yourself a favour go to Capture One or Aperture

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2012 9:36 AM   in reply to Ken McKay

Ken McKay wrote:

Don't upgrade to Lightroom 4.1 it's slow, slow, slow!

No, it isn't.

It might on your machine.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2012 9:53 AM   in reply to Ken McKay

Take calls to jump ship  and use other software with a grain of salt. There are a number of machines experience slow downs-that is true.  There are many machines running with no problems.

Adobe has a 30-day free trial that you can download and know pretty much same day whether LR 4.1 runs fine on your configuration.

Decide for yourself.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2012 10:07 AM   in reply to Keith_Reeder

You sound like an Adobe employee!! "Everything is ok and nothing is wrong with SR4, it must be you"

I've tried everything recommended and my Mac is extremely well specked. You will see from all types of forums that people are complaining that SR4 is slow.

Sent from my iPhone

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2012 10:11 AM   in reply to Ken McKay

Ken McKay wrote:

You sound like an Adobe employee!!

Nope - they wouldn't be so blunt, and they'd pander to the whining in a way I have no intention of doing.

You will see from all types of forums that people are complaining that SR4 is slow.

And for every such post you'll see posts from people like me saying that on my machine Lr 4 rocks.

How could that be, if Lr was the sole problem?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2012 10:32 AM   in reply to Keith_Reeder

Are you saying that we are all wrong then?

Sent from my iPhone

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2012 10:49 AM   in reply to Ken McKay

Ken McKay wrote:

Sent from my iPhone

The problem is, NOBODY is wrong.  You have a good computer, good specs, and Lightroom performs poorly for you.  Nobody even challenges that.  I have an older computer, very weak specs for Lightroom, and I get satisfactory performance from Lightroom.  Who knows what the answer is?  I don't think anyone does.  It's unfortunate you're having the problems that you are.  I'm just glad that I'm not experiencing those same problems.

|
    Mark as:
  • Victoria Bampton
    5,302 posts
    Apr 1, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 19, 2012 10:52 AM   in reply to Ken McKay

Ken McKay wrote:

No one's saying anyone's wrong.  There is no black and white here.  There are too many factors involved for it to be that black and white.

Some users are clearly still seeing performance issues, and that is incredibly frustrating for all involved.

The majority of users are not having significant problems with 4.1, and that's great, but that doesn't help those who are still suffering.

Adobe are not unconcerned - if they didn't care, they wouldn't have released 4.1 with performance improvements.  And just because they've fixed it for most people doesn't mean they're not continuing to try to figure out what the missing link is between those who are still having issues.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2012 11:16 PM   in reply to Victoria Bampton

Victoria Bampton wrote:

There are too many factors involved for it to be that black and white.

Yep, that's what I'm saying (although in essence, I suppose it does boil down to saying "yes, you're wrong to believe that it's ony Lr...")

I often invite those people who do have problems to explain why - if they're entirely down to Lr - we don't all have the same problems.

The only possible rational answer to that question is that it's because of some difference in the machines the software is running on. My box isn't even particularly high spec - a mid-range quad-core Intel and 8gb of RAM - and I see none of the problems other people report (decently big Raws too - Canon 7D files, converted to 16 bit tiff). Lr 4 just works.

On the safe assumption that those of us in my situation (there are plenty of us - and remember that forums, by their nature, are the domain of those with issues, so the relatively small number of people complaining on here doesn't remotely represent the entire customer base, who - apparently - aren't complaining) aren't using a magic version of Lr 4, all that's left to blame is the local environment the software is sitting on.

Sorry Ken, but if you can come up with a more logical and reasonable explanation, I'm all ears, and I'm sure everyone else is too.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2012 11:27 PM   in reply to Keith_Reeder

It's not for me to come up with answers, that's a job for Adobe

Sent from my iPhone

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status