Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

cell phone pay as you go - need advice

Mar 25, 2012 11:50 AM

Yikes... my head is spinning...I have seen so many phones the past few days ( and reviews etc ) on internet sites... I am totally lost.

had a cell phone years ago when motorola made them first.. traxar or something ?? was expensive ( $800 ? ).. and had monthly ATT service unlimited ( also expensive ).

that was during 1st season of " sopranos ".. long time ago.

since then I've just had a land line...with fios... internet and tv included.

now I need a cell phone again due to move to MN from NY. I have no clue how long it will take to get internet out there etc... in new apartment.

my computers will get set up right away when I get there..and one has a wi fi card installed ...so if I can find wi fi thats not passwrd protected .... I could maybe use it ...for internet. BUT ( this is a big BUT ) some stuff I do ( banking etc ) on internet is security sensitive to ME.... and I dont want to get virus through some network or have my security breached.

SOOOOO ... question is... can I get a pay as you go phone that also has features for basic email ( in and out ) and also a browser like firefox so I can do banking etc ???

ORRRRR should I just get a simple phone with no other services.... and then use whatever I can find in MN until I get my stuff hooked up....( like library computer or something ).

I am so confused by all the choices and different model phones etc... my head is spinning !!!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 25, 2012 1:20 PM   in reply to able123

Take a look at http://www.tracfone.com/

Hardware & plans range from simple flip phone to at least "semi" smart phones... probably not on a level with a big, dedicated service, but likely enough for "simple" email and browsing

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 25, 2012 1:48 PM   in reply to John T Smith

Or AT&T Go phones.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 25, 2012 7:20 PM   in reply to able123

Rod:

Did I read that right, you moved from NY to Minnesota?

Related to cell phones, I have been going through the same thing.  It's all very confusing by design and everything except the phones are overpriced IMO.  I am a fan of Samsung products.  I like the Galaxy S2.  Here is a company I hope gets their product off the ground.  Challenging the status quo is often dangerous.  Remember Tucker? This phone does what I think all phones should do, default to a WIFI hot spot and if one is not available, use the standard cell network.  Clear has great wireless coverage here in Atlanta and would be ideal for use with the Republic Wireless product.  It's in beta.  They are promising unlimited everything for $20 per month.

http://republicwireless.com/

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 25, 2012 7:59 PM   in reply to able123

Walmart's own Straight Talk is a pretty good deal.  You get 1000 minutes, 1000 texts and 30 GB of data for $30 (+ tax, so about $33).  Or Unlimited everything for $45/month.

They have a range of phones available, both in stores and online.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 26, 2012 7:05 AM   in reply to able123

Rod:

Will you be working in the TV/film industry in Minnesota?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 26, 2012 3:02 PM   in reply to able123

Rod wrote:
    " It may be that fishing is the main activity out there... as there are a lot of lakes where I'm going. They must have fish in them ?  It's weird but somehow " fishes " seems to be beckoning me to some new life out of the city etc.  First it was trout. Now its trout again... plus even MORE fish types... who knows.. I have no clue about fish."

We have a lake about 20 minutes from my home.  Jeff Bellune knows about it... Lake Lanier.  It's such a big lake, I thought fishing would be a waste of time.  I was wrong about that. In the past three weeks my friend (has a fishing license) caught 4 decent size Spotted Bass and 2 monster Striped bass weigning in at over 10lbs each.  We had BBQ'd fish last night and I found a 6 star recipe for Striped Bass.  Supposedly Striped Bass is not as good eating as Spotted Bass, but whoever said that is wrong.  As long as you cut out the red meat, soak the meat in baking soda and water for a while, you are good to go.  This particular Striped Bass recipe calls for a cup of olive oil 4 cloves of garlic, a cup of cilantro, lime juice, zest and a little salt and pepper.  My wife thinks it's the best fish she has ever had.bills_striped_bass.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 28, 2012 1:16 PM   in reply to able123

able123 wrote:

==========

Which makes me wonder.... talking about evolution .... if we evolved from apes, how come there are still apes ??

Because we didn't evolve from apes. We have a common ancestry with them. A common misconception about evolution. It's not like Pokemon.

FCP users, however, are evolving into Prem. Pro users. That's why there aren't as many around these days.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 28, 2012 5:50 PM   in reply to Absoflan

Some have speculated that the dinosaurs were faced with similar issues. The mammals went with Premiere Pro, but the dinosaurs stuck with FCP. One day, they had just disappeared...

Now, we could take Rod's question, a few million (over a billion?) years back, and change a few words. If some are correct, we began as amino acids, then evolved into gray slime, them into protozoas, then into fish, and finally crawled out of the ocean, and on to the land. If that is correct, why do we still have amino acids, gray slime (maybe that was where "piink slime" started?), protozoas and fish?

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 28, 2012 10:00 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

The mammals went with Premiere Pro

Researches have recently discovered evidence that suggests the learning curve for After Effects is the most significant factor contributing to the increase in primate cranial capacity from our earliest ancestors to modern day humans.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 29, 2012 10:48 AM   in reply to Jim Simon

Jim,

I had not encountered that study/theory, but it makes perfect sense to me.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 30, 2012 12:35 PM   in reply to able123

Well, I have begun my planning. Thanks for the advice.

I have already promised to fund one of my favorite charities for the next ten years. I think they are pulling for me to win... ?

There have been a few wines, that I have always had to take a "pass" on, and maybe I will indulge myself a bit. Hope they are as good, as I anticipate them to be. Over many decades, I have often had ideas of how good and rewarding something would be. Then, after years of anticipation, I have found that many were not any "big deal" afterall. Such is life.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 31, 2012 9:37 AM   in reply to able123

I agree. I noticed that all of my numbers were clearly seen on the floor, before the drawing. Oh well, guess my charities will just have to get by with my current level of minimal support. They were the "biggest loosers" last night.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points