Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Importing Open Office Documents Into Dreamweaver CS3...

Mar 25, 2012 4:35 PM

Hello!

Recently, due to circumstances beyond my control, I was forced to switch from Microsoft Word to Open Office. The only difficulty I am experiencing with this transition is when I attempt to Import an Open Office Text Document (a .odt file), it does not appear as an option via File -> Import. Is there a way to make Open Office appear as an option?

Thanks!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 25, 2012 4:42 PM   in reply to BigMusicGeek

Why import an Open Office document into DW?

Via File > Import, Dreamweaver asks Word to convert the content to HTML then inserts that code into the page.

It's safer and more controllable to cut and paste the text from Word files into DW. You can do the same with Open Office.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 25, 2012 4:54 PM   in reply to BigMusicGeek

Actually you really don't want formatted text brought in from Open Office or Word or any other app.  Unformatted text plays nicer with HTML.  Use CSS to style your text.

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 25, 2012 4:54 PM   in reply to BigMusicGeek

Dreamweaver formatting is totally different than that of a word processor. Word processors generally have access to hundreds ot typefaces and typestyles. Dreamweaver has just a few.

As such, I do what John does and copy and paste as plain text. And I'll do specific formatting as needed. You're not making a piece of printed paper here, you're making a web page. So the design work is more like page layout than it is a simple Word document.

The articles here used to be, either in a magazine or a Word Document (take your pick). I reset everything to make a web page, knowing that people don't read web pages, they tend to scan them. So I add interest with graphics and with design elements.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points