Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Bridge doesn't allow me to turn on color management

Mar 26, 2012 7:23 AM

Tags: #photoshop #cs5 #color #bridge #dreamweaver #management

Any idea why Bridge doesn't allow me to edit/turn on color management? When I go to Edit>Creative Suite Color Settings I just get an error. Says I must launch at least one qualifying CS product. As I have Dreamweaver CS5.5 and PS CS5 running I never know what the issue is. Any ideas? Adobe help is useless on this.

Replies
  • Omke Oudeman
    3,998 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Mar 26, 2012 9:23 AM   in reply to scott-david-weaver

As I have Dreamweaver CS5.5 and PS CS5 running

What suite version do you own, I get the impression you are talking about different versions (CS5.5 and CS5)

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    3,998 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Mar 26, 2012 1:23 PM   in reply to scott-david-weaver

Dreamweaver is CS5.5 and PS is CS5, but the same error message came up with they were both CS5.

I was just wondering if you have a complete Suite version like design premium CS5 or CS5.5. The color management is meant for one suite mainly so it can get confused with different version numbers. If you have only PS and Bridge CS5 then Bridge is autoset to the color settings of PS.

Don't have much experience with Dreamweaver but I'm not aware of ability to set color settings for Dreamweaver as you can in PS.

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    3,998 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Mar 27, 2012 1:23 AM   in reply to scott-david-weaver

If that is the case, Adobe needs to do a better job in how the settings function. For example, instead of just getting an error message with a confusing statement, the message would provide further clarification and also solutions. The message says one needs to have at least one program running to set up color management. It doesn't say one entire color suite. But thanks so much for responding to my questions.

A bit of the problem is that writing a manual and a help file is not that easy at all. But when it comes to complicated applications like PS and combined with other applications it really is a difficult task. I'm not saying Adobe succeeds clearly in this task because it is not easy to find your way in the new help files but with a bit effort you will soon explore there is a lot of information about understanding color in the PS on line manual (use the menu help / Photoshop Help and your browser shows a page from product support. Top right above there is the option to download the PDF manual.  And in the provided list on your browser window you see also the option for Creative Suite, click on it and you will see a complete chapter about Color Management.

While I know a bit of this subject I'm certainly no expert. It is a complex matter but the basics are not that difficult and the result of your learning effort will pay it self back

Another issue I have noticed is that Bridge does not do a good job at updating thumbnails. I frequently have to hit F5 to refresh when this should happen automatically. I use a Windows 7 machine and perhaps all of this works better on Macs - I don't know.

That should not be needed on either Mac or Windows. While no knowledge of Windows at all to me it seems related to a cache problem. First point Bridge to the folder that gives you this problem and then choose the menu Tools/ cache / purge cache for folder. See if this gives better results. If so and you have other folders with same problem use the option to purge the entire cache and have a fresh start. You need a bit of time because all thumbs and previews have to rebuild.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points