Skip navigation

Version 19 Release - Update Folio Builder panel

Mar 12, 2012 8:23 PM

Latest reply: jbalmain, Apr 12, 2012 4:48 AM
Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 21, 2012 5:56 PM   in reply to Bob Bringhurst

As a busy graphic designer, I don't have the DPS window open all day every day. I don't have time to read through things on the DPS site, or check for the quite frequent updates or warnings/cautions. It would seem that to stay on top of things with the DPS suite, you have to be constantly reading through new documentation (as nousinfo mentions in their post too). This adds to the confusion, and the frequency wth which I seem to be caught out with updates and cautions. Just my experience, and my opinion.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 21, 2012 6:06 PM   in reply to Bob Bringhurst

Hi Bob,

I'm one of those that just quickly updated everything just to 'stay up to date'. I have had a multifolio viewer approved and ready for sale in the app store for the last month. I have re-installed the previous Folio Builder and re-imported all my articles into a new folio.

My question is, although I have now recently updated my Folio Producer tools - my folio has been resaved with the older Folio Builder, and my Multi-Folio viewer (now in the app store) was made with previous Folio Builder tools and binary submitted/approved last month. So... essentially everything within this app/viewer was produced with previous tools and should work together fine... right?

I'm testing it now and it looks to be working ok... except all the multi-state objects throughout the folio don't work. Any idea why?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 21, 2012 9:29 PM   in reply to Bob Bringhurst

Well, when I view the app in Adobe Viewer on an ipad3 the MSO's ARE working fine. When viewed in Adobe Viewer on an ipad2 they do not work. When viewed in my custom Viewer on an ipad3 they do NOT work.

I am referring to several different pages, but they are generally set up the same. Base level has a MSO animation set to start on page load, and stop on the last frame. I have graphics over these MSO so I have grouped the overlaid graphics and created them into a MSO themselves to bring them above the base level animation. They are set to play once, both states are identical. I also then have a top layer that contains some buttons linking to other pages within the folio, or to play sounds on page load.

I'm trying to be as clear as I can here for you Bob, please let me know if you need any further information.

Thanks in advance...

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2012 10:44 AM   in reply to Bob Bringhurst

After updating I am having problems with the adobe content viewer on the iPad not bein able to read my file.  It says I need to update the app.  Maybe it should say "need to update Adobe content viewer". There are no updates available. Is it just something that is waiting for apple approval?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2012 11:12 AM   in reply to rskinner1983

Yes.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2012 12:27 PM   in reply to Bob Bringhurst

I am experiencing some erratic behavior with the new Tools and Builder.  I have updated both palettes and have built a v19 Content Viewer for the iPad.  I have it installed on both an iPad2 and iPad3 side by side and have been experimenting with the various layout and folio rendering scenarios described at the following link: http://blogs.adobe.com/indesigndocs/2012/03/guidelines-for-creating-fo lios-for-ipad-3.html

Through my experience I have noticed that only two of the four possible scenarios described worked.  Basically the only way I can content to appear on either device is if I out put the folio at 1024x768. 

If I create a HD layout (2048x1536).  Then upload to producer at 2048x1536.  The folio theoretically should appear on the iPad3 only however, the folio never gets pushed to Content Viewer on the iPad.  Strangely it does appear in the producer on the DPS Dashboard at digitalpublishing.acrobat.com which leads me to believe the builder and the acrobat server side of thing are working as intended but Content Viewer for iPad3 is bugged.  Just speculation on my part but this is what I am experiencing.

The only way I am able to get folios to appear for review in Content Viewer is to make sure I create a 1024x768 folio.

For each of the following scenarios I have used the PDF option in the way folio builder handles the layout images and copy.  (I have also tried the other image handling options and witness the same behavior)

Scenario 1: 1024x768 .indd layout file + 1024x768 folio output  –  WORKS on both devices but degraded quality on iPad3

Scenario 2: 1024x768 .indd layout file + 2048x1536 folio output  – Does NOT WORK on either device (strangely no folio appears on either iPad Content Viewer but appears on the DPS Dashboard)

Scenario 3: 2048x1536 .indd layout file + 2048x1536 folio output  – Does NOT WORK on either device (strangely no folio appear on either iPad Content Viewer but appears on the DPS Dashboard)

Scenario 4: 2048x1536 .indd layout file + 1024x768 folio output  – WORKS on both devices but degraded quality of copy text within a multistate objects and inital page view on iPad3.  Content clears up once end user activates the pinch zoom PDF page but Overlays still appear degraded.  I assume this is because in this scenario we are scaling up to 2048x1536 since we are constructing the folio at 1024x768. 

It appear that the vector art adjusts when zoomed in on but since overlays are rendered in JPEG the quality does not adjust and remains pixilated inside of Interactive elements. (Not 100% sure thats right?)

I am wondering if I am the only one witnessing this same behavior from v19 Content Viewer on the iPad2 + iPad3?

- Tony C.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 25, 2012 9:41 PM   in reply to nousinfo

Sorry to drag this up again, but I still need to fix this MSO issue I'm having (see previous post).

After some testing I can see there's an issue with placing one MSO over another. The bottom MSO won't play... hence my issue. Actually, both MSO's WILL play on an iPad3 with Adobe Viewer, but the lower MSO will NOT play with my cutomer viewer - or on a iPad2 with Adobve Viewer. I had none of these issues previous to the update - everything worked fine in Adobe Viewer on both iPads.

anyone having anything similar at all?

Thanks

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 26, 2012 2:49 AM   in reply to Bob Bringhurst

Reinstall version 18.

I have tryed to uninstall version 19 with the “Uninstall Adobe Folio Builder panel for InDesign CS5.5“ and closed the "CS Service Manager" first.

Install the "Folio Producer Tools" and the "Folio Panel" – In InDesign i can log-in to DPS but it returns with a error "A newer version of Folio Builder is available for download.  Update Folio Panel to latest version here."

My question is:

Is it posible to go back to version 18 when "Digital Publishing Suite released a mandatory update" ?

/T

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 26, 2012 7:27 AM   in reply to (MightyJack)

No.

You can run previous versions of the Tools but the Builder Panel MUST be updated to the most recent drop in order to connect to Acrobat's folio staging server; otherwise known as the cloud or Folio Producer.

-Tony C.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 26, 2012 7:56 AM   in reply to Bob Bringhurst

Way to go!

The update on the Viewer Builder server did the trick.  The new viewer displays all four scenarios on the iPad3 and the two expected scenarios on the iPad2. Renditions now make sense.

Thanks Bob.

-Tony C.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 30, 2012 9:56 AM   in reply to Bob Bringhurst

Bob,

I hear all the frustration, but so far my experience has been largely positive. We are using the "free" version to experiment and learn the software and not dealing with any deadlines. But we have hit a snag. I have updated the Folio Producer Tools and the Content Builder panel (in their proper order) twice on both my laptop and desktop. On the laptop I get a "You do not have a compatible Digital Publishing plug-in" message" and a link to download and install the tools yet again. On my desktop I get an "Error # 3115" message. This, so far, has stumped our tech guys. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. One other question—if we purchase a "Single Edition" to build and test a sample product, does any tech support come with that?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 2, 2012 12:26 PM   in reply to Bob Bringhurst

Bob,

I greatly appreciate the help. Did you insert a link to the Solution 2 tech note in the email?

Then follow the Solution 2 in this tech note ().

Harry (AKA Townsend Marrs)

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 4, 2012 10:12 AM   in reply to Bob Bringhurst

Bob,

I can't thank you enough. This seems to have solved both of my problems.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2012 4:48 AM   in reply to Bob Bringhurst

I rolled back to V18 and reinstalled only the Folio Producer TOols

but got a desktop viewer issue now , check this thread please : http://forums.adobe.com/thread/988724?tstart=0

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)