Skip navigation
azphotoguy
Currently Being Moderated

How can I turn off the price display in the Book module?

Mar 25, 2012 2:30 PM

Tags: #price #lr4 #lightroom_bookmodule

I would love to use the book module to design wedding albums with my clients, but with my cost splashed all over the screen I can only imagine the negotiations that will happen over the price I'll be charging them!  What I need is to be able display the client price,  something allowing a mark-up percentage would be great, however for now I would be happy just to turn it off.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 25, 2012 2:41 PM   in reply to azphotoguy

Hit I to get rid of the overlay, then right click Book Settings panel and untick it.

But it's an interesting requirement - worth posting as a feature request.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 25, 2012 4:07 PM   in reply to azphotoguy

This is just another prime example of why Adobe chose to offer such a restrictive sollution to create photo books in Lightroom. Why did Books need to be tied to ANY specific vendor in the first place? Even Apple, who many consider a closed or restrictive line of products offers much more custom features to design and export books, pages and/or spreads.

The Develop module was not designed to be used with a single specific brand of digital RAW files. The Print module was not tied to a specific lab or brand of printer. The Slideshow was not tied to a proprietary file format that when exported could only be played back using a single software option. The web module was not designed to export galleries that could only be rendered by a single specific brand of web browser. So really ... why ONLY Blurb? Why only Blurb page sizes? Why only direct upload to Blurb? ... and ... Why the only other option of export to PDF when the majority of pro labs/printers only accept page files in jpeg format?

The factor that is most important that separates profesional photographers from general consumers is we offer finished products that the average consumer can't achieve on their own. While I have no particular issue with Blurb or their products ... How am I supposed to offer something more to my clients that they can't get on their own if my only option is to match what they can buy directly from Blurb themselves? If they discover that there is no advantage to using my services, and can do it for themselves, what good is the Book module to further my business goals? Where is the incentive to invest my hard-earned cash in such software?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 26, 2012 1:22 AM   in reply to azphotoguy

I've just noticed that if you create the book as a PDF, the pricing is suppressed. So before a session hit Clear Book, choose PDF in Book Settings, then layout the book. This way you can change book dimensions and paper types in front of the client.

Adobe have stated elsewhere why they initially went with Blurb (worldwide coverage, customer profiles) and that there are mechanisms for other book publishers to come on board.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 26, 2012 4:03 AM   in reply to john beardsworth

johnbeardy wrote:

Adobe have stated elsewhere why they initially went with Blurb (worldwide coverage, customer profiles) and that there are mechanisms for other book publishers to come on board.

John, with all due respect (and I do have the utmost respect for your opinion and your contributions here and elsewhere) that just doesn't stand the litmus test. Could you please pont out another Adobe authored application that is so restrictive as to what can be exported. Or so restrictive as to document size and customization to the point where I must either use an outside application or wait patiently for vendors "to come on board" in order to achieve my desired customization? Other than Flash of course ... even then Adobe has gone to great lengths of late to make output from that app much more versatile with conversion options to other devices.

Let's experiment with the other modules and see if your information about Adobe's methods for the Book module holds water:

Develop Module:

"Adobe have stated elsewhere why they initially went with Nikon (worldwide coverage, customer profiles) and that there are mechanisms for other camera makers to come on board."

Print Module:

"Adobe have stated elsewhere why they initially went with Epson (worldwide coverage, customer profiles) and that there are mechanisms for other printer manufacturers to come on board."

Web Module:

"Adobe have stated elsewhere why they initially went with Internet Explorer (worldwide coverage, customer profiles) and that there are mechanisms for other internet browser developers to come on board."

Slideshow Module:

"Adobe have stated elsewhere why they initially went with WMV (worldwide coverage, customer profiles) and that there are mechanisms for other video file options to come on board."

As I have shared elsewhere, when I want to design a custom size for a book in Aperture 3, I simply select Custom, type in the dimensions and margin sizes and procede to lay out the book. Once completed, I can export the book to the favored vendor (Which could be Blurb for all I know), export to PDF, Export the pages or spreads to TIFF or JPEG ... and all this in one of those terrible restrictive, limiting and "closed" Apple software options ...

I'm sorry, but the Book module in it's current form is almost a total non-feature for many users. Adobe simply got it wrong. I expected much more from them and was willing to pay for it. Half-measures are not sollutions. Unfortunately for Adobe, I only invest in sollutions not more workarounds.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 26, 2012 8:03 AM   in reply to Butch_M

Butch, I think you've been making a very convincing case.

I'm sure we could come up with a few restrictions on first releases - Lightroom 1 beta being limited to Mac didn't seem totally unreasonable, though PS Touch on Android seemed hard to credit. Lightroom also offers plugins for some services like Flickr and Facebook, but not others, and it also chooses to omit some marginal photographic workflows (CMYK for instance). So I don't think it is a un-Adobe or bad in principle for LR to start by tailoring the solution for a  vendor that will satisfy the big majority. What I don't think anyone wants is that  we grow accustomed to features which  have so little headroom that, as in the case of Slideshow, more demanding users end up resorting to other apps.

John

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 26, 2012 8:54 AM   in reply to john beardsworth

Beta limitations are indeed growing pains ... but Adobe never intended for Lr to be a Mac only venture and didn't force Microsoft to "get on board" for the Windows version. The big hold up back then if you remember had so much to do with the infinite amount of possible hardware configurations they had to code for ... not an attempt by Adobe to "restrict" or limit customization of files and export options ...

Sure Adobe included some publish plugins, but they also included enough export options and a decent SDK that allowed for easy customization for individual needs. While we can't process CMYK files, we can at least catalog those image files ... which is why this whole Book module design has me perplexed why they would paint their users into a corner with the Book module.

I long ago gave up on the Slideshow module in Lr ... again, a half-measure attempt when compared to other options ... I even went out and purchased Aperture 3 for the sole purpose of using it for slideshows ... then when I saw the books feature in A 3, that was just frosting on the cake ... I had really hoped that Adobe would have made an effort to offer what A3 has ... only better, as I have been accustomed to when Adobe sets their mind to offering a quality product.

I'm at the point with my disappointment in the Slideshow and Books modules in Lr, that if there is an upgrade to Aperture that offers improved noise reduction and a method for using a custom curves or camera profiles ... I'll move my entire workflow in a heartbeat.

I really, really want Lightroom to continue to be my main workflow resource but I am so tired of bouncing back and forth, to and fro to get my daily tasks done. I'm not about to invest another two years to wait and see IF Adobe will address my concerns or IF they will do so in a fashion that allows ease of customization and Real World options for export ...

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points