Skip navigation
Leunammeod
Currently Being Moderated

Can't find any raw files to convert when I am using Adobe DNG converter

Mar 26, 2012 2:04 PM

Recently I purchased a new Olympus XZ-1 camera. I shoot exclusively RAW pictures (raw files for this camera are called .orf). Then when I tried to import these .orf files in the organizer of Phtoshop Element 8 it was imposible, nor then I could see those pictures in the organizer. By surfing on diffrent forums, I was able to figure out that Camera Raw included in Element 8, Camera Raw 5.5, is not supporting the .orf raw from Olympus and if I didn’t want to upgrade my Element 8 to Element 9 or 10, a simple alternative was to download Adobe DNG converter to convert all my .orf files into dng files, which could then imported by Element 8 and opened in Camera raw 5.5.

I downloaded DNG converter version 6.6 and installed it in on my computer running on Windows 7. The problem is that once inside DNG converter, when selecting the folder where all my .orf files are (Select folder), I can't see any raw files to convert there! I tried to select a folder with NEF files instead (raw files from Nikon) and it is the same problem! Why can’t I see those files of mine I want to convert when I select the folder in DNG converter?

I'm dying for help!

Thanks a lot!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 26, 2012 7:21 PM   in reply to Leunammeod

I don't use the DNG converter very often. But I think if you are inside the DNG converter workspace you have to work at the folder level, not expecting to see individual raw files. Another way to try to convert is to use Windows Explorer to browse to your raw files and then drag one or more of them onto the icon for the DNG converter. That is the way I have most often used it in the past.

|
    Mark as:
  • Pierre Courtejoie
    7,052 posts
    Jan 11, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 2, 2012 6:22 AM   in reply to Leunammeod

Do contact your camera manufacturer, per email, twitter, their facebook page, and let them know that their choice of a proprietary format is causing you nothing but hassle. They could store all the secret sauce they want in the private maker notes. They are still basing their file format on Tiff-EP, why not make the step to DNG and help their users?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 15, 2012 1:12 AM   in reply to Leunammeod

Hi there,

Actually, I do not think that the problem really is solved. Previous versions of DNG converter worked just fine.

I tried DNG converter 5.x, and browsing to a folder of RW2 (panasonic) and SRW (Samsung) files, it could see them and convert them.

Now that I have installed DNG converter 6.6, it sees nothing in that folder, nor does it convert them after it's selected (convert button is greyed out).

Dropping the individual or grouped files onto the .exe icon works but it is a workaround for a malfunctioning program, I wonder why Adobe even released it that way, it is a bug to me.

running Win Vista SP2.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2012 4:18 AM   in reply to darrask

I've found exactly the same - the only was to select a folder is to drag and drop it onto the Dng covertor icon - ridiculous

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2012 8:58 AM   in reply to Philphotogx

So, what ISN'T working properly?  I'm using Windows 7, 64 bit, 4 GB RAM, DNG converter 7.1, NEF files from a Nikon D90.

Opened the DNG converter.

Selected the folder containing the NEF files.

Set my options.

Clicked on the Convert button.

DNG converter created the folder and the DNG files on my desktop.

Opened the folder and opened one of the DNG files in ACR.

What is it that you expect the converter to do that it isn't doing?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2012 1:38 PM   in reply to JimHess

1.Opened the DNG converter.

2.Selected the folder containing the NEF files.- The program sees the folder but not the files. selecting the folder gives "No images have been selected" when returning to the converter window.

Set my options.- Save to same or new folder still available.

Clicked on the Convert button.- Can't - Greyed out, due to the above at 2.

And that's about it. Darrask has obviously the same problem. As he/she states the only way to make the thing work is to drag the folder containg the NEF files onto the Dng converter icon. The program then opens with the folder selected.

This is the same scenario on both Vista and Windows 7 64bit so I have no idea why we have the problem and you do not

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2012 2:00 PM   in reply to Philphotogx

When you are selecting the folder in the DNG converter, you only click on the folder.  You DON'T double click on the folder.  After you have set your options, and chosen the folder, you click on the Convert button.  It is only after you have clicked on Convert that you will see the list of files that are being converted.  You will also be able to see an indicator of the progress of the conversion.  It really does work.  Just to verify, the procedure I outlined is one that I did just prior to trying to write the instructions.  It really isn't rocket science.  Just choose the folder, only the folder, and click on the Convert button.

You'll notice that the button prompts you to select the folder, it doesn't say anything about selecting a file.  You only select the folder that contains the files.  You will never see a list of files using this method.  If you only want to convert one or two images you can use the other method.  Leave the DNG converter closed, open the folder containing the DNG files in your operating system folder browsing utility, choose the file you want to convert, and drag it onto the icon for the DNG converter.  That is how you choose individual images.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2012 2:19 PM   in reply to JimHess

Jim, please take my word on this I know what I'm doing.

I hit the "select folder" button at number 1 in the converter.

In the resulting browser window  I single click a FOLDER which is then highlighted and its name appears in the bar at the bottom of the browser window ,

I then click on the"Select" button bottom right.

On being returned to the converter there are "no images selected" - ............I've tried this time and time again.

(sorry about the block caps)

I've done it a million times with the old version 4 converter which acts pretty much in the way you describe.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2012 2:26 PM   in reply to Philphotogx

I didn't mean to talk down to you.  It just seemed like you were missing a step somewhere.  I'm sorry, I'm out of suggestions.  I can do it over and over and over again using the steps that I outlined.  Have you chosen a valid destination for the converted files?  Maybe someone else can help you.  Obviously, I haven't been able to.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2012 2:35 PM   in reply to JimHess

Hi Jim, The more I think about it the more it seems that the Adobe DNG Converter is opening a windows explorer window rather than its own dedicated browser window (as my version 4 does). For why goodness knows. Thanks for your thoughts on this. I'm sure a solution will arise eventually. Cheers. Phil

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2012 2:47 PM   in reply to Philphotogx

I just thought of something.  If, in the left hand list of folders, you can click on a drive so that you have folders on that drive listed in the larger right hand section, then click on a folder in that section, it should work.  That left hand column is used to choose the main folder or drive.  And it needs to be in the other section to be selected.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2012 12:56 AM   in reply to JimHess

Hi Jim,

I'll try your idea out when I get a chance but meanwhile it's a workaround to drop the folder onto the program icon which opens the program with the folder selected. The other thing is it seems I am wrong about my windows 7 PC - it DOES actually work the way it's supposed to in Windows 7 - I was mistaken probably due to getting flustered. Thanks again for you input.

Best regards,

Phil

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points