• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Accumulated text within the attempted selection area is rotated other than horizontal or vertical...

Contributor ,
Feb 27, 2012 Feb 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I get the above error when trying to delete/edit text in a pdf of a drawing created in Autodesk Inventor.

http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/6751/20120227164200.png

There's quite a lot about it when you Google it, but nothing even approaching an answer.

Any ideas?

TOPICS
Create PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 26, 2012 Mar 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bowen,

It seems like we've encountered the same issue, though I encountered it through slightly different circumstances, when trying to modify a PDF generated by Autodesk AutoCAD. I also could not find any online solutions for dealing with the "Accumulated text within the attempted selection area is rotated other than horizontal or vertical. TouchUp cannot create a text selection." message, but found something that worked for me through trial and error.

My solution to this is to make a blank PDF that has the same dimensions as the original PDF. I just printed a blank page from Word, in my case after I sized the document to tabloid (11" by 17") and changed to landscape orientation.

I then selected the object that contained the text that had given me that same error (it contained more than the text), cut it, and pasted it into the blank PDF. I was able to successfully able to edit the text there. Then I cut and pasted it back into the original document, and it pasted back into the same location. In my situation I only made minor text edits, so I don't know how the positioning would work after significant text edits.

Please let us know how it works out for you!

Thanks!

ACACACAC85

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 07, 2012 Jun 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try opening the Content Navigation pane (left-hand side), in the pane fly-out turn on "Find Content from Selection", select the text in question, and then delete/edit the text using the Content Pane instead of inside the Document Pane.

content.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 18, 2012 Oct 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there likely to be a fix for this? My team need to be able to check the text format but cannot because of the error message interrupting the touchup properties window:

"Accumulated text within the attempted selection area is rotated other than horizontal or vertical. TouchUp cannot create a text selection."

Cheers for any info

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried selecting the text in the Content pane instead of directly within the document?

All the editing has been revamped in Acrobat XI to address issues such as this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply.

Yes I can select the text using the content pane but it does not allow me to check the text formatting.

Because of strict auditing we are faced with using acrobat 9 and therefore unable to use XI!

Are there any other ways to get to the text properties in a PDF?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 19, 2013 Jun 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello.  I use Acrobat Pro X at work, and can't upgrade to XI.  I encounter this problem frequently when I try to correct OCR errors, even when all the text in the document is horizontal.  It's extremely annoying.  I've tried editing the errors in the content pane:  trying to correct a two-letter word ("BY") in the content pane made the error box pop up twenty-nine times. 

Is there any way around this for those of us who can't buy Acrobat XI?  Will Adobe issue a patch for this defect in Acrobat X?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 19, 2012 Oct 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

can you please share the file so that we can investigate at our end to adress the actual problem.
As LoriAUC already mentioned that Acrobat XI has been revamped for editing, you should give a try and do the editing with Acrobat XI.

I think A11 should help you out for such editing purposes without these problems.

-Sajal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The file link demonstrates the problem.

I want to be able to select any text and find out what the font used is and point size!

This is an illustrator CS5 file with pdf compatibility. The file shows the error in Acrobat 9 & X.

Thanks again for taking an interest.

P.S. I have added an email link? Not sure how you upload files on this site now!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To add an attachment do i need to share it via acrobat.com? If so do i have to pay for this service?

According to the instructions there should be a down arrow button to choose Share document?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can post and publish it for free on workspaces.acrobat.com and then include the URL in this discussion. Unfortunately these forms don't allow attachments.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One more alternative : You can share the file via dropbox by uploading the file and share the link here.

-Sajal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is the link https://acrobat.com/?d=2NbqM1rNU*aY6oljUFD*aw

Thanks for the information, very useful

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 30, 2012 Nov 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this issue, I still can't find an answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I eventually upgraded to XI, which solved the problem.

I know that's not what you wanted to hear, but I searched hard and discussed it with some Acrobat veterans, and I got nothing.

ACACACAC85's answer was a valid, if long winded, work-around.  You can of course use Photoshop/Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cheers i'll take your advice and reccomend and upgrade.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 21, 2013 Jan 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In previous version of Acrobat, rotated text editing was not supported and hence the warning is appearin. But for normal text editing happens. This problem has been fixed in A11. So if you are trying to edit text which is other than horixontal or vertical, then those warning is expected in Acrobat 10. Give a try with Acrobat 11 and share the experience.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 21, 2013 Jan 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks i have upadated my colleagues of the situation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 11, 2013 Oct 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am very late to the party, but this very same error message in Acrobat X popped up for the first time for me yesterday and I was confounded since I created the PDF files that I was being denied the ability to text edit. I read what others have said (which is very little) and I have managed by trial and error to find a work-around way to edit the text for SOME documents in spite of the message.

I was not getting the message on every bit of text on the page, just on some areas. On those areas I had some success byt doing the following:

I chose Edit Object rather than Edit Document Text. I got a blue box around the line of text that I clicked on.

I moved the text up and to the right (you can move it in other directions, too) a little and then selected the edit text tool and at that point I was able to change the text. Then I chose the edit object tool again and put it back into position.

I tried the above method in various documents and sometimes it would work and sometimes it would not. When it did not work, I again chose the line of copy with the blue box and cut it from the page. I opened another PDF and pasted it on a text-free area (clean) and at that point was able to use the Edit Document Text tool (even though I got the message about the font not being embedded). I edited the copy, chose the Edit Object tool  -- cut it and pasted it back in the original document.

Not the most elegant solution since this is obviously some sort of glitch, but I tried this on multiple files and it does seem to work.

I hope that works for some of you.

Faye

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 28, 2013 Dec 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

USE AA8, had the problem with AA9, but not with AA8

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines