Skip navigation
banjopaul67
Currently Being Moderated

Can't run Photoshop CS5 without deleting preferences file

Mar 26, 2012 11:31 AM

Greetings and thanks in advance for any help. I've installed newly purchased Photoshop CS5 on my relatively new (4 months old) Macbook Pro computer. I've uninstalled/reinstalled 3 or 4 times; same results each time. What happens is I can open the program once normally, right after install, and begin to work on a new project. Shortly thereafter it crashes, and from then on I cannot use the software unless I hold down shift-option-cmd to delete the preferences file, every time I open it. If I don't delete the preferences file, the software will open but nothing in it works. Everything is non-responsive or acts weirdly, until I hit certain buttons which just causes it to crash. As long as I've deleted the preferences file when starting it, all is well. If I don't do that, I can't use the software.

Does anyone know what might be happening or can you suggest a fix? I can provide error logs and such but don't know where any of that is; I'm a new convert to MAC. Thanks again for any help.

Paul

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 26, 2012 1:26 PM   in reply to banjopaul67

Without a crash report it is only a guessing game as to causes.

But the most normal crashes are caused by 3rd party fonts and  drivers (video card, printer, scanner).

Check to see if you have any of the usual suspect, or something you brought over from your other system that may not be compatible.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 26, 2012 5:30 PM   in reply to banjopaul67

Font checkers may not detect a problem.  They can tell if there is an error in the font, but can not tell if there is a conflict with photoshop.

The savest bet is to disable the directory with all the 3rd party fonts, and it you get no crash then add back in 1/2 and test, then add in another protion etc.

Not a Mac guy but you should have info in your help file to tell you how to access it.  It is a very long report, and techinical. 

Look for something that keeps repreating, like a program or font.  If no luck post and someone here will should be able to interpret where the error is.

With a Mac the drivers should be up to date if you have the latest versoin of the OS.

The TWAIN driver can somethimes be a problem and should also be disabled.  THere is no TWAIN drive for 64 bit programs.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,523 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 26, 2012 6:18 PM   in reply to banjopaul67

Something to try, on a hunch:

1.  Start Photoshop, do the prefs deletion.

2.  As soon as it comes up, just Quit it.

Now test again without the three key salute to see if it comes up properly.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points