Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Mercury Playback Engine problem

Mar 27, 2012 7:58 AM

i have a question regarding mercury playback, neither option of mercury playback gpu nor mercury playback for software, are available on my system, ie they are both greyed out. Any ideas what would cause this?

Thanks in advance.

Branched from an earlier discussion.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 27, 2012 8:26 AM   in reply to littlejasmine

Could be a myriad of things. Hard to tell without any details, but here is a list:

1. Wrong hardware.

2. Wrong software.

3. Wrong software version.

4. Wrong installation.

5. OE.

6. Homeland security intervened.

7. Whatever you want it to be, including wrong political inclination.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 27, 2012 8:29 AM   in reply to littlejasmine

What Mr. Millard is saying: Please provide your hardware and software specficiations, including your video card type.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 27, 2012 8:37 AM   in reply to cvid01

Please provide answers to the questions listed here: "FAQ: What information should I provide when asking a question on this forum?"

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 27, 2012 9:02 AM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

Also remember, Mercury does NOT work on any version of Premiere before version 5.02  - make sure you read this !

Harm I believe, was the one who helped me with this when I first bought my GTX 470.

I upgraded and bingo, everything worked.

It goes without say of course, that you DO have one of the video cards listed on Adobe's website that is officially supposed ?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 27, 2012 9:15 AM   in reply to David Zeno

> Also remember, Mercury does NOT work on any version of Premiere before version 5.02

That is not correct.

What Harm told you is that the specific card that you have didn't provide the CUDA acceleration features until the 5.0.2 update. The CUDA processing features work for many GPUs before the 5.0.2 update. The 5.0.2 update added several cards to the list of those that provide this feature.

Regarding littleasmine's original post:

I think that there may be a misunderstanding. If you don't have a GPU that Premiere Pro will use for CUDA processing, then there is no ability to select between the two options for Mercury Playback Engine, because the Software Only (CPU) option is the only option that will work. So, both choices are greyed out and the Software Only option is active.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 27, 2012 9:23 AM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

Hi Todd,

thanks for that great clarification, I did not know that.  Very good to know.  I guess I misunderstood the original help, but... it worked out for the best :-)

Dave.

p.s. - I just posted a new question, a good one I believe, about certain video effects that make the time line red, want to know about newer cards and if this

does anything to fix that. 

Todd_Kopriva wrote:

> Also remember, Mercury does NOT work on any version of Premiere before version 5.02

That is not correct.

What Harm told you is that the specific card that you have didn't provide the CUDA acceleration features until the 5.0.2 update. The CUDA processing features work for many GPUs before the 5.0.2 update. The 5.0.2 update added several cards to the list of those that provide this feature.

Regarding littleasmine's original post:

I think that there may be a misunderstanding. If you don't have a GPU that Premiere Pro will use for CUDA processing, then there is no ability to select between the two options for Mercury Playback Engine, because the Software Only (CPU) option is the only option that will work. So, both choices are greyed out and the Software Only option is active.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)