Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Flash Player crashes constantly in Firefox, IE and Chrome

Mar 20, 2012 11:20 AM

Flash player has not worked properly in months. It will work intermttently maybe 10% of the time after clicking reload/send crash report a half dozen times. It fails on all websites including

http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

My system is Dell Precision T3500, Windows 7 x64. 6GB RAM, Intel W3550 @ 3.06GHz

Firefox 11.0

Shockwave Flash 11.1.102.63 (updated March 19, 2012)

I have swapped Asus Xonar DS for CL SB X-Fi Ti with no change

I have swapped GeForce GTX550Ti for ATI Firepro V5800 with no change

It fails with graphic acceleration enabled or disabled.

Browsing to any site with Flash content will usually crash the plug in.

This is highly frustrating.

Replies 1 2 3 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 20, 2012 2:24 PM   in reply to android2112

I have had the same issues. On IE (latest version) the picture flashes in occasionally. On Chrome it crashes CONSTANTLY!!! I have Windows 7 64 bit. I have uninstalled and reinstalled operating systems and flash several times. What the hell is Adobe's problem with compatability????

|
    Mark as:
  • Chris Campbell
    9,446 posts
    May 4, 2010
    Mar 21, 2012 7:11 PM   in reply to sniderrick3

I'm sorry you guys are going through this.  We'd like to investigate further.  Could you both take a look at this FAQ and follow the instructions for reporting these crashes to us?

How do I report a Flash Player crash to Adobe?

Thanks,

Chris

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 22, 2012 10:54 AM   in reply to android2112

Dear Android, 2112: I have suffered these crashes for months also, with no improvement with 11.1.102.63. I reverted back to IE8 and the crash happens after watching any video for 10 mins. I have tried all the suggestions in helpx.adobe.com with no luck. Have a Windows 7 SP1 64-bit. Just supporting your frustration, so Adobe issues a bug fix soon

|
    Mark as:
  • Xircal
    753 posts
    Mar 29, 2011
    Mar 23, 2012 3:56 AM   in reply to android2112

android2112 wrote:

Flash player has not worked properly in months. It will work intermttently maybe 10% of the time after clicking reload/send crash report a half dozen times. It fails on all websites including

http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

My system is Dell Precision T3500, Windows 7 x64. 6GB RAM, Intel W3550 @ 3.06GHz

Firefox 11.0

Shockwave Flash 11.1.102.63 (updated March 19, 2012)

I have swapped Asus Xonar DS for CL SB X-Fi Ti with no change

I have swapped GeForce GTX550Ti for ATI Firepro V5800 with no change

It fails with graphic acceleration enabled or disabled.

Browsing to any site with Flash content will usually crash the plug in.

This is highly frustrating.

Have you tried running the Dell Pre-boot System Assessment Test? or the Dell Diagnostics to eliminate a hardware issue? What were the results?

Do you run any security software? Please specify which.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2012 5:05 AM   in reply to android2112

Having the same Issues youtube crashes any site using flash freezez my whole computer. Using  firefox chrome and ie. This is a major problem.

|
    Mark as:
  • Xircal
    753 posts
    Mar 29, 2011
    Mar 23, 2012 7:22 AM   in reply to Eternal30303030

Eternal30303030 wrote:

Having the same Issues youtube crashes any site using flash freezez my whole computer. Using  firefox chrome and ie. This is a major problem.

Issues with Flash in Google Chrome are addressed here: http://support.google.com/chrome/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=108086 If you can't find a solution to your problem with it, you can post a question on the Google forums: http://support.google.com/chrome/bin/request.py?contact_type=contact_p olicy

For assistance with Flash player in other browsers, you need to specify your operating system and version before we can assist you.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2012 11:18 AM   in reply to Xircal

Dear Xircal : I have Windows 7 SP1 on a HPE 64-bit desktop. Running IE8, the flash player 11.1.102.63 brings the whole system crashing after 5 mins of play. I am playing the website bloomberg.com/tv. Sometimes IE8 stops and says the faulting module is flash11g.ocx or some such thing. I can get the exact crash dump, next time. This has happened for the last 6 months for me and it is very painful. Please help to fix it.

--Cheers

|
    Mark as:
  • Xircal
    753 posts
    Mar 29, 2011
    Mar 23, 2012 12:00 PM   in reply to Gajananam

Gajananam wrote:

Dear Xircal : I have Windows 7 SP1 on a HPE 64-bit desktop. Running IE8, the flash player 11.1.102.63 brings the whole system crashing after 5 mins of play. I am playing the website bloomberg.com/tv. Sometimes IE8 stops and says the faulting module is flash11g.ocx or some such thing. I can get the exact crash dump, next time. This has happened for the last 6 months for me and it is very painful. Please help to fix it.

--Cheers

Hi there,

Can you do the following please.

1. Disable your antivirus scanners. If you have AVAST, right click the orange icon in systray, go to "AVAST Shields Control" and choose to disable all shields for one hour. If you use a different AV, consult this list for instructions on how to disable the scanner: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic114351.html
    2. Download the Flash uninstaller from here: Download Flash Player uninstaller. When you see the prompt, choose to Save the file and save it to your desktop. Do not choose "Run".
    3. Download the Flash Player installer from here: Download Flash player 11.1.102.63 installer Likewise, save the file to your desktop: do not choose "Run".
    4. Find the uninstaller you downloaded and run it to uninstall Flash.
    5. Find the installer and do the same to reinstall the latest version.
    6. Re-enable your antivirus.
    7. Go to the sites you usually visit and see if you can watch video without a crash.

Hopefully, you'll get a positive result.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2012 12:36 PM   in reply to Xircal

Dear Xircal: Thanks; I will do the steps and report back. As far as I know, there is no antivirus software running on my system. I uninstalled all of them some time ago to get my flash working. Windows defender, is the only malware system working. How do I find out if there are anti-virus scanners running on the system?

--thanks

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2012 12:40 PM   in reply to Xircal

|
    Mark as:
  • Xircal
    753 posts
    Mar 29, 2011
    Mar 23, 2012 12:48 PM   in reply to Gajananam

Gajananam wrote:

Dear Xircal: Thanks; I will do the steps and report back. As far as I know, there is no antivirus software running on my system. I uninstalled all of them some time ago to get my flash working. Windows defender, is the only malware system working. How do I find out if there are anti-virus scanners running on the system?

--thanks

Antivirus programs usually create desktop shortcuts. Otherwise, click Start, then look in the Programs list.

It's advisable to install one though because the threat of attack is very real. You can download the free version of AVAST from here: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=95170.0 When you run the setup file, make sure you remove the checkmarks from Google Chrome otherwise you'll suddenly have that as your default browser.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2012 1:48 PM   in reply to Xircal

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 24, 2012 5:09 AM   in reply to android2112

Windows 7 64 bit

Firefox 11.0

Adobe Flash 11.1.102.63 (updated March 19, 2012)

Also noticing cpu usage goes to 100% before whole computer freezes.

|
    Mark as:
  • Xircal
    753 posts
    Mar 29, 2011
    Mar 24, 2012 6:06 AM   in reply to Eternal30303030

Eternal30303030 wrote:

Windows 7 64 bit

Firefox 11.0

Adobe Flash 11.1.102.63 (updated March 19, 2012)

Also noticing cpu usage goes to 100% before whole computer freezes.

Which process appears to be using 100%?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 25, 2012 3:21 AM   in reply to Xircal

I can probably answer that for Eternal. It is more than likely plugin_container.exe. A Firefox Program to designed to isolate plug ins and keep the whole browser from locking up and crashing. I notice that when the Flash Plugins start acting weird and are about to crash, The plugin container's CPU usage goes thru the roof. I was able to put the plugin contrainer on low priority thru the Task Manager and it seems to help loosen the load a tad bit.  Doesn't help keep Adobe from Crashing but from what I have seen it just takes a bit longer to crash.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 25, 2012 2:07 PM   in reply to Xircal

Dear Xircal: The uninstaller and installer links you have in your message are for 32-bit and it says it cannot run on my windows 7 64-bit machine. Can you please point to the 64-bit versions of these?

I went to get.adobe.com/flashplayer and reinstalled the flash player (after uninstalling it with control panel->programs and features). Flash player still crashes big time.

--thanks

|
    Mark as:
  • Xircal
    753 posts
    Mar 29, 2011
    Mar 26, 2012 1:48 AM   in reply to Gajananam

Gajananam wrote:

Dear Xircal: The uninstaller and installer links you have in your message are for 32-bit and it says it cannot run on my windows 7 64-bit machine. Can you please point to the 64-bit versions of these?

I went to get.adobe.com/flashplayer and reinstalled the flash player (after uninstalling it with control panel->programs and features). Flash player still crashes big time.

--thanks

Firefox hasn't been officially released in 64-bit yet, so I assume you're running either a BETA, or a third party version if you're seeing that message. Anyway, you can download the 64-bit uninstaller from here: http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/uninstall-flash-player-windows. html#main_Download_the_Adobe_Flash_Player_uninstaller

|
    Mark as:
  • Xircal
    753 posts
    Mar 29, 2011
    Mar 26, 2012 7:31 AM   in reply to android2112

android2112 wrote:

I used the 64 bit uninstaller to remove Flash Player. (64 bit Windows 7 OS)

I used the link you provided to 32 bit Flash Player Installer to install Flash player.

Installation is successful.

32 bit Firefox does NOT recognize the 32 bit plugin as a valid plugin on a 64 bit system.

It says at the top of the screen "Additional plugins are required to display all the media on this page"

That message about 'additional plugins' may refer to something other than Flash, like Java for example. Can you post the link to the site where you see that?

|
    Mark as:
  • Xircal
    753 posts
    Mar 29, 2011
    Mar 27, 2012 3:50 AM   in reply to android2112

Do the following please.

1. In Firefox, click Tools | Options | Advanced. (If you have the Firefox layout with the oblong orange button top left, hit the ALT key to get the text links).
    2. In the General tab, remove the checkmark from: "Warn me when websites try to redirect or reload the page".
    3. Click OK and then go to any site where you normally get the problem.

Message was edited by: Xircal

|
    Mark as:
  • Xircal
    753 posts
    Mar 29, 2011
    Mar 27, 2012 6:40 AM   in reply to android2112

Do you get the same anomaly if you try and watch a video here? http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flashplayer/stagevideo.html

EDIT: does your Global Settings Manager look the same as the one in the screenshot if you go to this link? http://www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en/flashplayer/help/se ttings_manager03.html

global_settings_flash.PNG

Message was edited by: Xircal

|
    Mark as:
  • Xircal
    753 posts
    Mar 29, 2011
    Mar 27, 2012 7:16 AM   in reply to android2112

Are you talking about this link? http://forums.adobe.com/message/4286975#4286975 If so, that was in response to Gajananam. You can see that at the top of the message.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 27, 2012 8:32 AM   in reply to android2112

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 27, 2012 8:50 AM   in reply to Xircal

Dear Xircal: FF is crashing so much on the flash player, t hat I am trying IE8 which also crashes but after about 10 mins. Is there a similar option in IE8 about "Warn me if a site is trying to redirect..."?

--thanks

--gajananam

|
    Mark as:
  • Xircal
    753 posts
    Mar 29, 2011
    Mar 27, 2012 9:36 AM   in reply to Gajananam

Gajananam wrote:

Dear Xircal: FF is crashing so much on the flash player, t hat I am trying IE8 which also crashes but after about 10 mins. Is there a similar option in IE8 about "Warn me if a site is trying to redirect..."?

--thanks

--gajananam

Hi gajananam,

1. In Firefox, click Tools | Options | Advanced. In the Network tab, middle menu where it says "Clear Web Content", click the "Clear Now" button.
    2. In the menu immediately underneath that where it says "Override automatic cache management", checkmark the box and then underneath it, set "Limit cache to 0" (zero). Click OK to close the menu.
    3. Next, press CTRL+SHIFT+DEL to open the menu called "Clear All History".
    4. In "Time Range to clear", set it to "Everything".
    5. Click the "Details" arrow underneath it and then checkmark "Browsing and Download history", "Cache" and "Offline Website Data". Remove the checkmark from all the others.
    6. Click the "Clear Now" button to delete everything in the Cache and History. This doesn't affect your Bookmarks which will remain intact.
    7. Close Firefox, wait 10 seconds and then open it again and go to a video site somewhere.

N.B. If you have the Firefox layout with the orange oblong button top left, hit the ALT key to toggle the text links on so that you can see the "Tools" menu link.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 27, 2012 10:09 AM   in reply to Xircal

Dear Xircal: Thanks for the detailed tips. Will try tonight at home and update the progress. I have FF 11.0; is that good?

--gajananam

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 27, 2012 10:40 AM   in reply to Gajananam

good luck with IE! It won't even load images for me there. Best of luck..No company seems concerned about their products!

|
    Mark as:
  • Xircal
    753 posts
    Mar 29, 2011
    Mar 27, 2012 11:43 AM   in reply to Gajananam

Gajananam wrote:

Dear Xircal: Thanks for the detailed tips. Will try tonight at home and update the progress. I have FF 11.0; is that good?

--gajananam

Yes. I have it too.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 27, 2012 3:39 PM   in reply to sniderrick3

Dear Sniderrick3: IE9 was terrible, so I downgraded to IE8. With the 32-bit  version of IE8, I have the maximum stability in comparison to FF and Chrome. May be some blind luck. I disabled all add-ons, all startup services, and stripped IE8 to barebones to get this stability. It of course also crashes but after about 10 mins. The 10 mins is poosible only after deleting all the flashplayer cache, as advised by one of the helpx adobe web sites.

--cheers

--gajananam

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 27, 2012 3:46 PM   in reply to android2112

Thanks for the update Gajannam. i sent nasty e-mails to zynga, adobe, and face book again today. Many of my friends are leaving the games due to the problems. Hope someone listens at some point. Adobe seems to be at the center of all the issues. Good Luck!

|
    Mark as:
  • Chris Campbell
    9,446 posts
    May 4, 2010
    Mar 27, 2012 7:09 PM   in reply to sniderrick3

sniderrick3 and others that are crashing,

We want to fix these problems.  Please follow the instructions listed out in the following FAQ so we can investigate further.  Without reproducible steps and a crash log, the chances that these issues will be fixed are reduced.

How do I report a Flash Player crash to Adobe?

Chris

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 28, 2012 8:36 AM   in reply to Chris Campbell

Dear Chris: I would like to send you the log, but in my windows 7 SP1 64-bit, the system reboots after the crash. The BSOD message that flashes for 10 secs says either

"IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" or "PAGE_FAULT_IN_NO_PAGE_ZONE", or "MEMORY_MANAGEMENT". So it is difficult to get any crash logs.

--cheers

--gajananam_

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 28, 2012 8:40 AM   in reply to Xircal

Dear Xircal: There is a definite improvement after performing all the cache and other settings you suggested--instead of crashing after 1 min, it now plays for about 10 to 20 mins before BSOD. So definite improvement, but still no stability.

--gajananam

|
    Mark as:
  • Xircal
    753 posts
    Mar 29, 2011
    Mar 28, 2012 9:02 AM   in reply to Gajananam

Gajananam wrote:

Dear Chris: I would like to send you the log, but in my windows 7 SP1 64-bit, the system reboots after the crash. The BSOD message that flashes for 10 secs says either

"IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" or "PAGE_FAULT_IN_NO_PAGE_ZONE", or "MEMORY_MANAGEMENT". So it is difficult to get any crash logs.

--cheers

--gajananam_

Hi Gaj,

You need to do the following so that you can make a note of the blue screen data.

1. Click Start | Control Panel | System and Security | System | Advanced System Settings (link in left panel).
    2. In the bottom menu called Startup and Recovery, click the Settings button.
    3. In the middle menu called "System Failure", checkmark all the boxes and in the bottom menu called "Write debugging information", change the setting to "Complete Memory Dump".
    4. Leave the name of the file at its default which is %SystemRoot%\MEMORY.DMP

The next time you get a pretty blue screen, it will remain on screen for 30 secs. If you've got a digital camera, use that to record info because even with 30 seconds to play with, time will still be a bit short if there's a lot of data. Disable Flash before you take a picture though otherwise all you'll see is the flash reflection.

You can check your Stop errors here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/hh406232%28v= vs.85%29.aspx

In Firefox, hit CTRL+F to open the search box, then type the first 0, then the "x", then the last two (alpha)numeric digits to find it quickly. So for example, the search string: 0x50 will jump to PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA. This is much easier than typing the whole bug which is 0x00000050.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 28, 2012 9:15 AM   in reply to Xircal

Dear Chris: Thanks; I do note down the bugCheck code when BSOD happens. I go to event viewer which gives a lot of info. I can get you all the bugCheck codes that happen. Would you like other info on the event viewer? I do get the .DMP files generated.

Sould I upload those files somewhere? I guess I should look at the FAQ.

--gajananam

|
    Mark as:
  • Chris Campbell
    9,446 posts
    May 4, 2010
    Mar 28, 2012 6:51 PM   in reply to Gajananam

Ganjananam,

Yes, please open a new bug report and include all of your details.  You should be able to attach the .dmp to the bug report.  You might need to zip it up to reduce the file size though.  If it's too big, please feel free to host it on a service such as dropbox.com and send me a link and I'll download it and attach it to your bug internally.

Chris

|
    Mark as:
1 2 3 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points