Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Quit crippling this wonderful app.....thought it was slower, but it is actually faster.

Apr 9, 2012 12:12 AM

Each CS release has continously decreased the speed and perfomance of Photoshop.

I've got 16 Cores and 32GB RAM and a scratch disk with R/W of 500+ MB/s

CS6 is the slowest and most un-responsive version of PS I have ever used. And I believe I have been using Photoshop since 1996.

I had my hopes up really high reading about CS6 is major release to PS. But this version, unless one is working with ONE layer, is sooooo un-responsive and slow

that it makes it impossible to work with... I am in a document with about 12 adjustment layers onto of a portrait photograph.... turning off ONE adjustment layers,

takes about 5 seconds for the results to show.... Instantenous (almost) in CS 5.5...

Clicking any adjustment layer automatically enables the alpha numerical input in the first "tab" assigned field. This makes it impossible to click the layer and hit delete,

PS will promp with a dialog that a value between 0 and 255 has to be entered.

The new interface is well not so new just different colors. Still the same horrible panel stuff. Look to Final Cut X and Motion to how it is done. This is unacceptabl for a 2012 app.

You mean to set standards with the number one design software (photoshop) at least you could have given us a nice interface. In case you did not now, folks recognize COLOR icons

better than black and white icons... Dont cop the BAD sides of Lion... Apple is going to give back Color Icons to the Finder...

What concerns me the most is the performance of PS CS6. TO put it gently... It is suub standard, at least on a Mac running OS X Lion 7.3

You are quite lucky that you dont really have any competition in regards to photoshop. If you had, I would NOT be continuing down this road you're going.

With best regards and HIGH hopes of improvemente prior to release !

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 27, 2012 9:48 AM   in reply to AtonMusic

I can certainly understand your frustration, but it's called a "Beta" for a reason. One of the big focuses of the beta period is to collect system information of users who might be experiencing issues like what you're seeing.

If you would be so kind, post your system info, as outlined here: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4209321#4209321

This will help the engineers optimize tasks for users with a similar system.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 27, 2012 11:10 AM   in reply to AtonMusic

Curious, but I am beginning to suspect there is a memory leak in CS6. You seem to be hitting it hard so it would be interesting if you notice a significant difference in performance between a "running for some time" instance and a new instance following a reboot. I did in one case, but I haven't been able to duplicate it.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 27, 2012 12:09 PM   in reply to AtonMusic

Although it may not be the source of your current problem, the video card in your system is severely underpowered compared to the rest of the components.

It's unfortunate that Apple put such a poor default card in a system costing a few thousand dollars.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 27, 2012 12:55 PM   in reply to AtonMusic

i bet its video card related - for me all issues come down to it in these "open GL enabled" CS5, CS6 versions.

i set my computers (all macs) to the basic setting in GPU performance.

if you haven't already i'd give that a try, restart and see if it helps.

i'm guessing apple better optimizes things for the cards it sells.

i had this issue with CS5 and slow painting way back when with my Nvidia 120 GT in my Mac Pro

window users were able to fix the issue themselves by downloading the updated drivers from Nvidia - i had to wait for a fix many months later by a Mac OS update.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 27, 2012 1:04 PM   in reply to eclic

Just so you are aware Beta software is usually much slower than production versions for the simple fact that there is still code in the application so that the developers can see what is going on if there is an issue. This allows them to identify issues quicker and get them fixed so they can hopefully be included in teh production release.  the reason why companies release beta software is so that they can get feedback from users on the different uses of the software and identify a larger group of bugs than they could think of with secenarios of their own. Photoshop is a complex program and does a lot of stuff behind the scenes that would take you hours to do if you had to do it manually.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 27, 2012 1:47 PM   in reply to AtonMusic

You may also want to update your graphics driver as well as trying to disable GPU acceleration in preferences - see if it helps.

|
    Mark as:
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,829 posts
    May 24, 2010
    Mar 27, 2012 3:16 PM   in reply to AtonMusic

Chris Cox recently mentioned the need for at least 1Gb of graphics memory.  That being the case, then a card with DDR5 memory is going to out perform a system with earlier cards with slower memory. FWIIW, I am on a PC, but with 6 cores @ 4Ghz (i7 3930K), and also with 32Gb RAM, and a GTX570 with 1Gb DDR5, and I can leave my system on indefinitely without noticing any degradation with Photoshop's performance.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Mar 27, 2012 3:18 PM   in reply to AtonMusic

AtonMusic wrote:

I've got 16 Cores and 32GB RAM and a scratch disk with R/W of 500+ MB/s

CS6 is the slowest and most un-responsive version of PS I have ever used. And I believe I have been using Photoshop since 1996.

I'm thinking you have a specific problem, possibly having to do with your GPU, because I'm finding Photoshop CS6 to be at least as fast as its predecessor.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 28, 2012 8:10 AM   in reply to AtonMusic

Well I use Windows so I doubt if memory leak is due to the Lion O/S.

I too haven't had a speed problem with CS8 - in fact in my "uncalibrated" opinion, it seems a bit faster - (except for the memory leak).

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Mar 28, 2012 9:44 AM   in reply to PixbyTed

Ted, please describe how you are perceiving that there is a ''memory leak''...

Keep in mind Photoshop initially allocates memory as needed, up to the limit you set in Preferences - Performance and holds onto it for reuse.  It doesn't seem very polite to the rest of the programs in the system to do that, but it's definitely by design.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 28, 2012 10:08 AM   in reply to AtonMusic

AtonMusic,

Have you pointed your PsCS6 to any additional plugins folder in your preferences?

Could you have moved other plugins in and be running into duplicate plugin issues causing the performance issues you're seeing?

FAQ: How do I install my favorite plugins?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 28, 2012 10:27 AM   in reply to AtonMusic

Please try the following:

1.  Go the Layers Palette fly-out menu and select Panel Options...

2.  Set Thumbnails to "None"

Then see if performance on your system w/CS6 is better.

Thanks,

Adam

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 28, 2012 7:54 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Noel, my feeling there is a memory leak is simply because after processing a bunch of photographs, using pretty well  using the same set of actions each time, performance with the dodge and burn tools gets noticably slower. With a fresh instance on a typical photograph there is absolutely no lag. After the instance has been running for a while and I've processed 15-20 photos there is a definite lag between my stylus moves and the brush on the screen.

To me that is a symptom of memory leak. Is there some way I can provide you with some quantitative information? (I don't know how to dig it out of the system information if it is even there.)

BTW Pattie just had me check for an updated video driver. It was a bit dated, so I'm about to work on a new batch of photos using the newer driver. I'll see if it continues to happen.

Windows 7 HP - SP1

NVIDIA GTX550 Ti 1GB

Intel i7-2600K @ 3.4 GHz

16GB RAM

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 28, 2012 8:56 PM   in reply to AtonMusic

I have been goofing around with CS6 for the past few days, today was the first time in using it in earnest.  My pattern in using CS6 was no different than what I was doing in CS4 (my current version).  I opened up between 5-7 files at a time...each file between 200MB -300MB.  I had to run a series of actions on each.  My whole system got slower and slower...all applications, not just Photoshop.  Real real sluggish. 

I'm on a Mac

2X2.26 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon

6 GB

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 29, 2012 8:22 AM   in reply to PixbyTed

Ted,

Can you create an action in PS that recreates your workflow and shows the application slowing down over time?  If so, I'd like to get a copy of it so that I can try to reproduce the issue here.  My suspicion is that initially you're running in RAM and once the application runs out of physical RAM to use, we start swapping RAM to disc (via the scratch disc) and things slow down at that point.

There may be a resource leak, but I'll need more information to try to re-create the issue here.

Also, please try the same steps with OpenGL disabled (uncheck Use Graphics Processor in performance preferences) to see if the slowdown is related to VRAM instead of RAM.

Thanks,

Adam

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Mar 29, 2012 11:44 AM   in reply to PixbyTed

Something not mentioned here, but which could definitely figure into this, is the new Auto Save feature...

• Could it be auto-saving your big images in the background after a time, and you're just feeling the impact of that in the interactivity of your system?

• Do you sense a difference if you temporarily turn it off (or lengthen the interval)?

I have already suggested that perhaps the auto-save folder should be configurable separately from the Scratch drive, because I can imagine the system REALLY slowing down once an autosave AND swapping memory to the scratch file starts at the same time.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 1, 2012 7:12 PM   in reply to Adam Jerugim

Thanks Adam ...

My workflow is pretty well portrait retouching. I have an action (Portrait Retouch) that calls a variety of other actions some from NAPP, some like wooden frame are default PS actions, and then a final file management action named Finish. I'll attach them but without the tools, brushes (and other stuff I have probably forgotten), I doubt if the actions will run successfully.

However if you look at the portrait retouch action, there is a Stop where I get onto layer and apply the dodge and burn tools. After running this suite of actions maybe 25 times on 25 separate images, I notice the D&B tools get noticably laggier (new word). Quite often I use large Dodge or Alt+Dodge brushes to make final cleanups to background areas of the image and of course it is much worse with larger brushes.

Um, sorry. How do I attach a .atn file to this post?

|
    Mark as:
  • Pierre Courtejoie
    7,038 posts
    Jan 11, 2006
    Apr 2, 2012 1:07 AM   in reply to PixbyTed

Hello! try to Contact Adam by private message.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 2, 2012 6:56 AM   in reply to AtonMusic

have you tried changing the video card performance settings to Basic?

I think i asked before.

you have an old video card - I have the same one - it does not work well with the newer fancy Open GL(CL - whatever) that they have been pushing for awhile - especially with Liquify.

So you really need to turn the performance settings to basic.

I'm on 10.6.8 (maybe that's the issue?) - not going to Lion at all on this work machine.

you have the same generation of Mac Pro as me but I only have 16GB RAM

and CS6 is fast as CS5 for me - I do retouching for ads and editorials.

and things I like in CS6 for retouchers (which arent big features but pros will upgrade for)

1. background auto save

2. load last mesh in Liquify (but b/c of my Nvidia 120 GT card I have to launch in 32bit mode)

3. blend if now has an icon in the layer!

4. fill layers are finally classifed the same as adjustment layers

5. preset import/export (but still needs work)

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 2, 2012 8:45 AM   in reply to AtonMusic

If it's that slow, then something is most likely wrong on your system -- please respond to Adam so we can help you figure out what is wrong with your system.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 2, 2012 9:14 AM   in reply to AtonMusic

I have to agree with Chris here...  I find CS6 only slightly different than CS5 - some parts seem a little slower, some parts faster.  But the only time so far in the week+ I've been testing it that I might have considered the terms "slow" or "unresponsive" was when I was editing a ridiculously large file, to the point where I had exceeded the available RAM in my virtual machine, and it Photoshop was both swapping to the scratch file as well as auto-saving a huge file.

Do any of these things apply to you?  Is your computer on the edge of being just powerful enough to do the work you do in PS CS5?  You ignored my questions before.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 2, 2012 9:56 AM   in reply to AtonMusic

I haven't had any problems in regards to speed, running Win 7, 64 bit, Intel i7, 12 GB memory. HD's are in Raid 1 mode. Extremely fast in all tests I have done - at least not slower than PS5

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 2, 2012 11:37 AM   in reply to AtonMusic

AtonMusic wrote:

All you need to do is open ONE image of i.e. a Person.

Create 10 adjustemnt layers EACH with its own individual Mask.

Now start tweaking...

The 10th layers takes about 10 seconds to toggle on/off... It is completely redicouleous.

Maybe it's a Mac-specific thing...  I mocked up an image just as you said and while it was a bit of a challenge to come up with a reason for having 10 different adjustment layers, I'm just not seeing a slowdown.  Toggling any layer on or off, turning off a mask, painting, etc., is virtually instantaneous.

10Layers.jpg

Is your image ridiculously large, to where it's exceeding your system resources?

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 2, 2012 11:39 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

If it is moving slow, try disabling graphic processor in performance. That's what I did.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 2, 2012 11:45 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

i'd say for most retouchers 10 adjustment layers is a starting point.

as I said earlier I have a mac - same generation- and everything is fine.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 2, 2012 12:15 PM   in reply to AtonMusic

We're not seeing that going slow at all - and we test with much more complex documents.

Yes, I suspect you have something wrong with your systems that is causing the slowdowns -- but you need to work with Adam to isolate what it is about your systems that is making them much slower than everyone else's.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 2, 2012 12:19 PM   in reply to eclic

Perhaps it's GPU-specific then.  Does your Mac have the same video card Aton's has (NVIDIA GeForce GT 120)?  I can't quite tell from your wording whether you HAVE that or HAD it.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 2, 2012 12:26 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

i have the same card = Nvidia 120 GT

Liquify is bad with it so I launch in CPU mode - and its like CS5 - which is fine for my work.

I have a 2009 MacPro 2.93 quad core processor, 16GB RAM, 6 HD set up with working files on RAID 0 and scratch drive is a RAID 0 as well.

everything works fine with me and when I've had issues with CS5 or CS6 it all came down to that Nvidia card. setting GPU performance to Basic solves things for now. I think PC users can manually update drivers so they might not have the issue.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 2, 2012 12:29 PM   in reply to Chris Cox

Hey Chris, it just occurred to me...  NVidia went through a period where their Marketing people ran wild and got their driver writers to emulate operation on deep data (e.g., 32 bits/channel) in the driver software, just so they could publish specs that said their GPU handled that...  The OpenGL implementation reports the feature is available to the software asking; you kind of have to have exceptions to avoid using those modes.  This smells suspiciously like a possibility you may be using a software-emulated floating point mode, which would be horrendously slow.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 2, 2012 1:09 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

That's why Adam is trying to get details so we can verify if it's a known issue or something else.

Usually we find some known driver problem, or a third party library - but if it's a new issue we need to track down the cause (still likely to be external, but we need to know).

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 2, 2012 1:25 PM   in reply to AtonMusic

Are you using the web interface to read this thread?  If so, scroll up to post 18. 

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points