Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Is Adobe planning on fixing memory issues or are they hoping Fireworks will go away?

May 31, 2011 3:20 PM

When trying to use Fireworks for larger sites, we (and a lot of other people we talk to) have always had issues with Fireworks crashing (Mac and PC).

We try to split files when working on larger sites but if you use a lot of symbols, updating them is really slow - often slower than saving files and it doesn't stop the crashing.

I realise people might say we're asking for trouble designing pages that are 3000px - 4000px long but long scrolling pages often work well (http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/design.html http://www.kaleidoscopeapp.com/) and we find ourselves designing more and more of them.

When using Fireworks every day, you have to wonder if Adobe would prefer everyone switch to Photoshop - does anyone know what their plans are for Fireworks?

Practical suggestions for stopping the crashes would also be great!

Cheers

Ben

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 31, 2011 6:24 PM   in reply to macopp

Your workflow is a bit unusual. While you may find it convenient to design an entire site on a single page, I can pretty much guarantee that your viewers will not like that much scrolling. If you'd like to make a suggestion, here's the Adobe feature request form:

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

|
    Mark as:
    May 31, 2011 7:05 PM   in reply to macopp

Those that know, can't say. And those that don't know, can only guess. :-)

We saw a dot release for Fireworks with the CS5.5 Suite, and there is public knowledge that many of the fixes in the dot release will be made available to Fireworks CS5 users. Based on the fact that Adobe bothered to do anything with FW in this new interim release, I'd say Fireworks is still kicking, but exactly what the plans are for new fixes or features for any future version of FW are nor publicly known.

Can you tell me, are you designing multi-page files at these dimensions? If not - good. If so, I would question why, considering that you need to move to Dreamweaver or another web editor to create the actual final site. Why not just have a couple story boards at the proper dimensions, then build out the additional graphics as needed? Again, I am making a lot of assumptions here, so please forgive that.

Also keep in mind that the MAXIMUM page dimension for a new Fireworks document is 6000 pixels. And it sounds like you're getting awfully close to it. FW does not have the same kiknd of memory management features that Photoshop has.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 1, 2011 8:09 AM   in reply to macopp

I agree the FW is a FAR better choice for web and application design.

Keep in mind that FW is also only a 32-bit application, hence the memory limitation.  I know the engineers are acutely aware of memory and performance issues, and are always trying to improve those aspects of Fireworks. Sending your requests to the wishlist is a very good idea though, as it helps the team set priorities.

And again, there is no Fireworks 5.5. It's 5.1 only, and it did address several issues, but no new features were added. You can read more about them here:

http://blogs.adobe.com/fireworks/2011/04/fireworks-cs5-1-in-creative-s uite-cs5-5.html

HTH

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 2, 2011 4:10 AM   in reply to macopp

My suggestion is to try working with a few smaller files. Split this 4000px large file to two or three smaller files. I think your issues will be resolved.

You can try to use Symbols and then share them in one location, then try to update Symbols in all files -- might be slower, but Fw will be more stable, I think.

Also note that Fw may have issues with large bitmaps (it is more a vector tool, even if it can work with bitmaps and vectors), so keep this in mind, too.

I suggest you report your main issues here: http://adobe.ly/FWwish

Please also attach the Fw PNG files that make Fireworks become unstable/crashing/showing errors, as well as details that lead to this.

As far as I know, Adobe continues to develop Fireworks. And Fw Team will be much obliged to you, if you can help them make reproducible steps for making Fw unstable, since this may allow them to try to discover the problem and maybe fix it!

Hope this helps...

Btw, this extension: http://johndunning.com/fireworks/about/LinkedImages   maybe can help you too, in some cases.

And if you need a Fireworks AutoBackup option try: → http://adobe.ly/TBpqt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 27, 2012 11:44 AM   in reply to macopp

I've had some luck minimizing the memory bloom by:

- minimizing the use of buttons with multiple states

- minimizing the use of buttons with editable text

- avoiding shared layers - which seem to be shared, but also seem to baloon the memory usage (as if they aren't really symbols but are rememberd as unique sets of pixels)  For instance when I removed the iPad frame that surrounded my screens from a shared layer, the memory usave plummeted.

- using styles instead of symbols as much as possible

- minimally using master pages

- avoid pixels at all cost - use vectors as much as possible, trim masked imaged more closely

- avoid abobe photoshop effect styles, they seem to take up more memory and are more restrictive anyway.

- avoid protoyping demos with rollovers and other animations, stick to static screens as much as possible

- avoid paging through your file agressively - each page you look at loads that part of the file into memory.  So if you hit "page up" 30 times to get to page 30, you might be getting close to your ceiling.  But if you go directly to page 30 then you have a better chance of keeping your memory allocation from maxing out.

It's not that you should avoid using these features completely, but to do so in simpler ways.  I usually try and stick with one primary method (simple symbols) and one supporting method (styles) and so far, even on a doc that's over 100 pages, no crashing.

If you have symbols within symbols with hovers built into editable buttons scattered across hundreds of pages with some shared layers, some excluded layers, some master pages, some variant pages, and the app will grind to a halt, crash for no reason, and file may never open again.

None of this fixes the problem.  The problem is Adobe's to fix.   But they do help.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 27, 2012 12:02 PM   in reply to jmorano

As far as I know, Fireworks Team works hard on fixing all memory issues in Fireworks CS6. Hopefully, memory limits will also increase (for Windows 7 64bit version, at least). These two things, combined, hopefully would increase stability of Fireworks and will provide a fix for "not enough memory" bug.

Sorry folks, can't share more, but even this small bit of info should give you some hope...

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points