Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Help, Bridge CS5 modified the RAW file setting every time I open image into Photoshop.

Mar 23, 2012 7:23 PM

Tags: #photoshop #raw #bridge #bridge_cs5 #photoshop_cs5

I have this problem of which Bridge CS5 change the RAW file setting (showed us custom settings applied) every time I open the file into Photoshop, even without me modifying anything. I believe the problem is color management, it might have automatically applied a color management setting on it, but I don't know how to disable it.

I played around with the "Creative Suit Color Settings" and there isn't a no color management settings in CS5, so help?

Thanks

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 23, 2012 7:31 PM   in reply to martinhwong

I think what you are reporting is acutally something else.  Neither Bridge nor Photoshop automatically changes a file upon opening it.

You may have settings that save the file differently than what you believe it is.  Check out your default settings in ACR to make sure you are saving the way you want it saved.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2012 7:53 PM   in reply to martinhwong

Check you settings in Edit/camera raw.  There are setting there that change default image settings.

Hope this helps solve the mystry.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2012 8:04 PM   in reply to martinhwong

Perhaps someone else will jump in.  When it comes to color profile issues it is not a subject I feel comfortable with.

Good luck.

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    4,001 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Mar 24, 2012 3:42 AM   in reply to martinhwong

So even when I right click the raw file in bridge, click develop settings, and click Camera RAW Defaults, it still make it as a modified settings raw file

A screenshot of your before and after files would be useful but as far as I understand this thread the problem lies in your default Camera Raw settings.

First check your Camera Raw preferences in either Bridge (Adobe Bridge CS5/ Camera Raw settings) or ACR (the icon with three dots and lines in the top left row) itself.

My settings in here are in General: save settings in sidecar xmp and apply sharpening to previews only (but if you want to sharpen images also in ACR instead of in PS it is your choice to apply also in the file itself. Just be careful with sharpening an image twice!)

Default image setting:

I created a custom profile for each of my camera's so my only setting checked in this row is 'make defaults specific to camera serial number' but you can leave them all unchecked. Just be sure the 'Apply auto tone adjustments' is unchecked!

I kept the rest as per default, (Cache 1 GB in default location after install DNG unchecked and jpeg and tiff Auto open when having settings)

Now you should test if you have other ACR settings set to default the the factory settings.

- Open a file in ACR and only click on the small text icon (3 dots, 3 lines and 3 lines) (next to the word basic above the sliders and White Balance) to open the pop up menu.

- First choose the option to save settings. This provides an option window (be sure to have it set to 'all settings'. hit OK and give it a name (e.g. 'test ACR profile 1'). Again OK to save it. This new profile should also show in the list under the presets icon (3 sliders icon next to camera icon in the same row as the basic tab).

- Again choose the icon to open the pop menu as first time.

- At the bottom of this row shows 'reset Camera Raw defaults', click on this to reset your factory defaults

- Then also save those settings as described above and give it a name (e.g. 'test ACR profile 2')

- Now go again to the presets tab and just by clicking on both new presets name 1 and 2 the settings will change to their saved state. Could you report back if their are changes visible between the both ??

If you only have PS and Bridge you don't have to worry about color management settings, Bridge automatically reflects the color settings as set in PS. If you have more Suite applications like InDesign and Illustrator you should set one application to the wished color settings and save this as a custom profile. Now you can choose this same profile in other application under settings and also in Bridge you can choose that file. This makes it possible to have the same color settings for the whole suite.

But as said, if you only have PS then Bridge reflects the PS settings per default. If you are not sure what you have set in PS check there under the menu edit / Color settings.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 24, 2012 5:52 AM   in reply to martinhwong

You can't update a raw file if you don't change any settings or click Cancel. It's not possible, as far as I'm aware.

Even if you have 'auto tone adjustment' set in Camera Raw preferences, it won't save it unless you click 'Done' or 'Open Image'. Maybe this is you problem? Check Canera Raw preferences.

The only time I've ever seen a persistent develop mark on a raw file was when the raw file contained embedded XMP data. That's pretty unusual.

Creative Suite Color Settings doesn't work in Photoshop-only installations—at least it's never worked for me, and I've never owned a full Creative Suite.

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    4,001 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Mar 27, 2012 2:32 AM   in reply to martinhwong

it still shows a custom setting logo on the upper right corner of the image? (does that mean an alteration?)

That is correct, first time Bridge builds its cache for thumbnails and preview it respects the default (either factory or custom made) ACR setting without showing the icon with ACR sliders. Once you have altered any setting in ACR or used the developed setting it keeps the icon visible showing you have applied or altered settings.

When using Raw and XMP side car file trashing the xmp file does bring the default settings back and removes the icon. Don't know a way for DNG (that saves the settings in the file itself) to get rid of the icon but I find this icon very useful because you can also use it as a filter option in the filter panel (Camera Raw - Custom settings) to select only the altered files

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    4,001 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Mar 27, 2012 2:58 AM   in reply to martinhwong

but for example, when I open a raw file and then click open image without doing anything, it will open it to photoshop but indicate an alteration.

That seems indeed the case, might be due to the conversion of the dpi or colorspace (the settings under the blue line at the bottom of the ACR window) but if you only open the file in ACR (either in PS or in Bridge) and hit cancel or done nothing happens.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 27, 2012 7:18 AM   in reply to Omke Oudeman

Omke Oudeman wrote:

. Don't know a way for DNG (that saves the settings in the file itself) to get rid of the icon...

Select one or more dng files, then in Develop Settings choose Clear Settings.  

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    4,001 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Mar 27, 2012 8:52 AM   in reply to Robert Shomler

Select one or more dng files, then in Develop Settings choose Clear Settings. 

And that works also for other Raw files, might have thought of that option myself...

Thanks for letting us know Robert!

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 27, 2012 12:52 PM   in reply to martinhwong

martinhwong wrote:

I know, that's how I clear the settings, but is it normal for it become custom setting when I open the RAW file into photoshop?

Curious.  In my config I can in Bridge clear settings from a dng file; custom settings badge is removed in bridge display.  Then if I bypass the ACR screen and go direct to open that dng in photoshop (shift double click) then close the image from PS, the custom setting badge remains absent in Bridge display.  However if I open the dng into ACR and press Open Image from ACR to open it in photoshop Bridge will display the custom settings badge for that dng file even though ACR did not make any edits or changes.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 4, 2013 11:58 PM   in reply to martinhwong

Ever end up figuring this out? I'm having this same issue right now It seems to stay synced across lightroom and bridge

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    4,001 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Jul 5, 2013 1:10 AM   in reply to StunningPixel_Photography

It seems to stay synced across lightroom and bridge

Can you provide more details (system, versions, file type etc).

And also a screenshot to clarify.

Bridge and LR use the same ACR engine, applying changes in one are reflected in the other and v.v.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 27, 2013 4:44 AM   in reply to Omke Oudeman

Hi, having a similar problem here wich drives me nuts. If I open any type of file into acr ( its is set in the way that it automatically opens jps, tiff and cr2's in ACR) it would stick some adjustments on top even if I didnt change a thing, heres the sample:

Bridge problem sample.jpg

I have since reinstalled the CS6, updated ACR to 8.2, reset the settings and looked all over, anybody can help with this?!

Thanks!

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 27, 2013 6:41 AM   in reply to BakasP

-Being discussed in ACR forum-

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 27, 2013 6:42 AM   in reply to Yammer

yes, thanks!

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    4,001 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Aug 27, 2013 1:22 PM   in reply to Yammer

Can you provide a link or a summary?

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    4,001 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Aug 27, 2013 1:25 PM   in reply to BakasP

I have since reinstalled the CS6, updated ACR to 8.2, reset the settings and looked all over, anybody can help with this?!

Reinstall and update does not change the prefs. What do you mean with reset the settings? can you specify this a bit more because there are several ways to do so.

And to be sure, you did try to restore camera defaults in ACR and if this did not work tried to make a new default with this settings set to zero and curve to linear and then save this as the new default?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 28, 2013 5:02 AM   in reply to Omke Oudeman

Omke Oudeman wrote:

Can you provide a link or a summary?

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1283736 Solved.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points