Skip navigation
thedcmule2
Currently Being Moderated

Re-arranging layers not possible in Premiere?

Mar 27, 2012 6:43 PM

What part of the good intuitive programming bible is it written that layer position should be solid frozen in Premiere? If it was for some weird safety reason, wouldnt it have been smart to allow an option to enable/disable the re-ordering of tracks? I have ten clips I dont want to see on the timeline til I'm ready to start working with them again, and my scratch-layer that I use to shift stuff around temporarily is way above them. Theres not even a hide option, which would speed workflow up a lot when you get into complex layering. I don't get it, Adobe seriously thought this was helpful?

</grumpy>

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 27, 2012 6:58 PM   in reply to thedcmule2

I agree 100% with this, I'll be working on a project and label a layer, then later on I want to move that layer a few layers up, but alas it's not possible.  I would have figured

that by the is latest version of Premiere this would be possible, but it's not.

Also another beef.  You cannot color layers like in Photoshop.  Let's say you have an important layer, it would be nice to turn it yellow, so it stands out for you.

How about this one - what about notes, - I'd like to see a layer having the ability of having a note draped over it.  Imagine a piece of lumber hanging out of the window of your car,

it's sticking out and you want to warn people it is there.... you put a little ""flag"" on it.

I'd like to see this kind of thing, a flag that goes right over a portion of your time line, and expands as your type.  If you shrink the time line,  then the flag shrinks.

Example - you have a long piece of footage, 7 mins into it, you want a visual reminder that you should add in an animation at that point, or a voice bubble, or whatever,

it would be nice to be able to do this.  I'd want it in different colors too.... a nice bright yellow, or a bright green, so you really see it, and it stands out.  Finished doing something at

that point on the time line ? ... you simply right click on the flag and say "delete comment flag" and bingo it's done.

Some good things I've wanted over the years, I've never expressed my views about them, but there you have it. 

Dave.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 27, 2012 7:11 PM   in reply to thedcmule2

You don't move the tracks, you move the clips on those tracks.  This is pretty standard NLE design.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 27, 2012 7:36 PM   in reply to thedcmule2

Premiere Pro is a non-linear editor, not a compositing app.  After Effects does all that you are trying to do in Pr.  Similarly, AE isn't a video editor; if you tried to edit video and audio of any significant duration in AE, you'd end up with a large headache very quickly.

That said, if you don't like the way Pr works and you have a better idea on how it should work, this is the place to state your desires:

Adobe - Feature Request/Bug Report Form

-Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 27, 2012 7:58 PM   in reply to thedcmule2

I have 5-10 minute clips that are very long on the timeline, each have their own layer with respective names so I can quickly find them.

Each instance of a clip on a track is named, and can have any name you want even if it's different than its name in the Project panel.  You can have multiple clips on one track (which you can't do in AE or PS).  Tracks are containers for clip instances; they shouldn't be used as instances themselves.  But again, YMMV.

How about a used or unused icon next to clips so I know which ones are in the timeline already and which arent?

The info/data next to the clip's thumbnail in the Project Panel Preview Area lets you know how many times the clip is used.  And if you click the tiny disclosure triangle next to that info, you'll get a drop-down list of all the places that clip is used in the project.  And if you click on one of those list items, Pr will take you to the sequence indicated and park the playhead at the beginning of the clip in that sequence.  You also have the ability to show/hide the Video Usage column of the Project panel, and you can drag it closer to or further from the clip name column in the Project panel.  You can even sort on the usage column so that used/unused clips are grouped together.

-Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 27, 2012 8:06 PM   in reply to Jeff Bellune

Jeff Bellune wrote:

Premiere Pro is a non-linear editor, not a compositing app.  After Effects does all that you are trying to do in Pr. 

Really, not a compositing app? I've been doing some great compositing with PrP lately..Been very impressed with the real time preview playbacks, quick/easy keyframing and in-app titler. Add some 3rd party plugs and you got yourself a pretty decent editor/compositor. AE was built as a compositor, so it should be. But PrP, I think anyway, is an editor and compositor. I don't think changing layers on the fly or renaming them constitutes a compositor.

Pete

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 28, 2012 12:43 PM   in reply to EditorPete

I think Pr could do a couple more things that would make it a suitable compositing app for 90% of the projects I do. 

The number one thing I'd like to see is something similar to FCP7's Track Matte.  That there's nothing like this in Pr is a pitiful oversight, I think.

With that, you could make masks using the Titler that could be used for track matting, and not have to leave the app for a majority of mattes with simple shapes.

Another thing it could use is more features on the Garbage Mattes, such as feathering and invert.

(Yes, I've submitted Feature Requests.)

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 28, 2012 5:03 PM   in reply to Jim Curtis

Premiere Pro does have track mattes that you can use with titles. Search for them in the effects panel.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 28, 2012 5:49 PM   in reply to SteveHoeg

Yeah, but they don't work the way they "should."  If you scale the layer that's being image or track-matted, the matte scales with it.  Ideally, we should be able to pan, scan and scale the image that's being matted, without the track matte size or position being affected.

See the way FCP does it, with a Composite Mode>Travel Matte - Luma (or Alpha) to see the way I think it "should be" in Pr as well.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points