Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

ID CS5 crashes when opening older ID file

Mar 26, 2012 6:08 PM

I am attempting to open an ID file started in 2007 and edited in 2008. CS5 crashes after a few seconds in this attempt. Is there a magic bullet to fix this?

This is not the first time, but I found an output pdf and used those compoments to rebuild the file before.

Thanks,

Joe

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 27, 2012 5:01 AM   in reply to camelbreath

Magic bullet, no, but hope, maybe. Are you running a Mac. If so there will be a helpful crash log that you can post to PasteBin.com (not here) and put a link here, and maybe we can tell you why the file crashed.

In the meantime, if you can keep it open long enough, open it and immediately export to .idml (see Remove minor corruption by exporting). Also try disabling all but your system fonts temporarily and see if it will open with fonts missing. That would point to a bad font.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 27, 2012 9:12 AM   in reply to camelbreath

I'm not sure I agree with Peter - magic bullets are available, starting at approx. $120, from Markzware's corrupted InDesign file recovery service. But I'd start with hope, crash logs, et cetera, and move on to magic bullets only if nothing else works, and if it's cost-effective to fork out for the magic bullet.

Never had to use any magic bullets myself (I'm a pretty mundane guy), but folks who have required sorcerous aid from Markzware have reported to me that it was effective. Sure beats killing a chicken and summoning a spirit, that's for sure.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 27, 2012 2:08 PM   in reply to Joel Cherney

Markzware's service is great, but not a magic bullet in my opinion because it isn't 100% guaranteed to always work. That doesn't mean it isn't worth the shot when all else fails, if it's cost effective.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points