Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

PDF rendition on the new iPad

Mar 27, 2012 4:53 AM

Hi guys,

I've just had the opportunity to test my folio on the new iPad. First, I'm happily surprise by the quality. Honnestly, it's okay.

I've read a article with the PDF rendition, and here is the behavior:

- when you arrive on the page, the text looks very "aliased". It really looks like a classic JPEG rendition.

- then if you pinch/zoom-in just a little bit, you can start seeing the PDF. The text is rendered and it looks perfect.

I guess that it's the classic behavior of the viewer. First, it displays a JPEG and then if you zoom-in, it's using the PDF. I guess that it's for optimization reasons, smooth transitions, etc...

Can we imagine a new behavior ?

- the reader opens a new page, and sees the JPEG.

- once the page loaded, the DPS viewer starts rendering the PDF with high-definition text

- if the user taps the screen (to move to the next page for instance), then the reader displays the JPEG again.

Thanks

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 27, 2012 5:31 AM   in reply to MichaelChaize

That would explode the file size and defeat the purpose.

If it’s taking that long to pop into focus something’s wrong. Yes, there’s a slight delay but it’s certainly nothing that needs a workaround.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 27, 2012 5:59 AM   in reply to MichaelChaize

I know the effect but I have never needed to zoom in on the page in order to get the text to pop in.

It takes a second or so, and is much more noticeable on the original iPad than it is on the new one.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 27, 2012 3:00 PM   in reply to MichaelChaize

Bob,

I don't think that's accurate -- I experience what Michael does. On a PDF folio, when you get to a page, the type looks a bit pixelized/jpeggy. It never "pops in." Enlarge it just a bit and the PDF/vector-ness pops in, segment by segment. When you pinch back out to 100%/full view, the text goes back to its slightly pixelized version. Boy it would be nice to have the text look crisp at 100%, when most people will see it.

So -- is there something we are doing wrong, that our text never "pops into" focus in a PDF folio? (this is on an ipad3, with v18 tools)

pdf_comparison.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 27, 2012 7:03 PM   in reply to dbrown_44

I can’t say what’s going on because I haven’t seen that behavior.

Perhaps Bob B. will have more insight if there are internal reports about it.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 27, 2012 7:07 PM   in reply to Bob Levine

You know what? I think I need to take that back...partially.

Looking at this a bit more carefully (I have old tired eyes <g>) I think I do see what you're referring to in the Content Viewer.

The good news is that I don't see it in an app that I created using the viewer builder.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 27, 2012 7:12 PM   in reply to Bob Levine

Interesting point -- I'll try in a custom viewer and as an .ipa tomorrow. Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 27, 2012 7:21 PM   in reply to dbrown_44

Let us know. This could be a content viewer issue.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 27, 2012 7:26 PM   in reply to dbrown_44

I couldn’t leave well enough alone. With a Content Viewer I created using version 19 compatibility everything looks fine.

I’m hoping the forthcoming viewer will fix this issue.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 27, 2012 10:59 PM   in reply to Bob Levine

I've heard about this issue before.

My understanding is that the v18 viewer doesn't handle PDF folios right on

the ipad3.

Only the v19 viewers built after release of the ipad3 are ready to go.

—Johannes

(mobil gesendet)

|
    Mark as:
  • Bob Bringhurst
    4,640 posts
    May 29, 2007
    Mar 27, 2012 11:26 PM   in reply to Johannes Eckert

I haven't seen this failure of PDF pages to redraw before zoom since I installed the v19 viewer in which renditions work properly. I haven't tested 1024 folios on the iPad 3 -- just 2048 folios. I'll ask around to see if there was a fix.

|
    Mark as:
  • Mark0
    31 posts
    Feb 14, 2012
    Mar 28, 2012 7:10 AM   in reply to MichaelChaize

I've noticed the same issue viewing 1024 PDF folios on the new iPad. We haven't tried any 2048 folios yet because all of our clients run on the iPad2. The text looks like it has choppy JPEG compression but even a slight zoom cleans it right up to how it should appear.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 28, 2012 7:14 AM   in reply to MichaelChaize

We have been testing on iPad3 using an IPA 2048 viewer

The test folio comprises:

Existing InDesign document that has been set to new size of 2048 deep.

All content has been scaled up to this new size

Rescaled images are now half the effective pixel value. For the next live issue they would be to the iPad3 resolution.

Folio has been exported in PDF format.

As yet there is no Adobe iPad Viewer to test our hires mag only this laborious sideloading method where single articles can be viewed but not the mag as a whole (folios have to be located in a hidden Temp folder). As the desktop viewer doesn’t display PDF folios as a workflow it is impossible.

Although the text looks great on iPad3, rext within interactive features (like the sliders) doesn’t zoom in high quality.

Also on pages with full page pan/zoom images moving to next page difficult.

We need a new Content Viewer and we need it fast! We want to be able to boast that our next issue (Photographers i Magazine) has been built from the ground up to support retina display.

|
    Mark as:
  • Bob Bringhurst
    4,640 posts
    May 29, 2007
    Mar 28, 2012 10:25 AM   in reply to Graham Davis

Why haven't you used the Viewer Builder to create a custom Adobe Content Viewer?

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/digitalpubsuite/using/WS9293e1fb3b977c5c-6 373a356134d312f091-8000.html

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 28, 2012 10:59 AM   in reply to Bob Bringhurst

That's what we have been doing Bob but we have a multinatuional team who need to collaborate on the development of our magazine and to do that we need a regular Conent Viewer with Cloud based folios.

|
    Mark as:
  • Bob Bringhurst
    4,640 posts
    May 29, 2007
    Mar 28, 2012 11:05 AM   in reply to Graham Davis

I don't understand. The custom Adobe Content Viewer is a regular Content Viewer with cloud-based folios. The Adobe Content Viewer you custom build can do everything the store version does, plus it lets you use Preview on Device. You just need to make sure that you include the iPad UDIDs of your developers in your dev mobileprovision file, and you can give everyone the content-viewer.ipa file and have them sideload it to their iPads. They don't even need to remove the store version of the Content Viewer.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 28, 2012 3:05 PM   in reply to MichaelChaize

Confirming that a 1024x768 PDF folio using a custom v19 viewer shows the text nicely, not pixelly. (the 2048x folio, too)

Thank you, one step forward!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points