Skip navigation
caryjjj
Currently Being Moderated

FirePro V4800 vs V5700 video editing ?

Mar 28, 2012 9:17 AM

Tags: #hardware #video #cs5.5 #media #premiere_rendering #premiere_ #firepro

I need help in figuring out if the V5700 performance is on par with the V4800 specifically for CS 5.5 Production Premium (containing Premiere Pro)

I ordered a used PC with a FirePro V4800. It arrived today and there was a FirePro V5700 in it. I know the v5700 is from an earlier series but in a higher class tier in ATI cards. I found a benchmark from passmark.com showing the V4800 at 1200 points vs. the V5700 at 750 points. 

It is in an older Dell Precision T3500 (2010?) off corporate lease. We don't have a lot of budget and we were getting the V4800 in the deal with a 500w power supply and decent tower without paying a premium ($450 total) so I was happy.  The computer came with a Xeon W3540 cpu and I'm planning on installing Windows 7 64 bit, 12GB ram, 120gb ssd + 500gb spinning drive. It will be paired with two asus 23" displays. The computer's main use will be video editing 2-6 hours per week by several users.

Used or new, the V5700 would cost more to buy than a V4800. With a trade off in mid class vs entry level class offset a difference in power? How important to get it exchanged for the V4800?

Any suggestions appreciated.

Thank you !

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 28, 2012 12:44 PM   in reply to caryjjj

Both are ill-advised. Changing the video card for anything better/faster means only nVidia with at least 1 GB of VRAM, preferably a supported model. You will need at least a GTX 550 or better on such a slow system.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 1, 2012 8:58 AM   in reply to caryjjj

Yes, Harm is mostly correct. Even the very fastest, latest AMD (formerly ATi) GPUs cannot use Premiere Pro's MPE GPU acceleration at all; therefore, Premiere is "permanently" locked to the MPE software-only mode. Only NVIDIA GPUs with CUDA support are supported at all in the GPU acceleration mode [as long as the card has 1GB or more VRAM; 512MB cards cannot use GPU acceleration mode at all due to an insufficient amount of VRAM while 768MB cards also cannot use MPE GPU acceleration at all due to the lack of sufficient available VRAM (Windows itself eats up more than 15MB of the graphics card's VRAM)].

So, effectively, the Fire Pro performs basically equal to integrated on-motherboard Intel GMA graphics (assuming that the IGP's OpenGL support is as robust as that in the Fire Pro).

By the way, the ATi naming convention is a bit weird: The FirePro V4800 is actually newer than the V5700. The V4800 is the same GPU (hardware-wise) as the Radeon HD 5670 while the V5700 is based on the Radeon HD 46xx series. In the FirePro naming scheme, the first numeric digit refers to the grade or level of the GPU while the second numeric digit refers to the GPU generation. Thus, the V4800 will be slower than a V5800 (the latter based on a Radeon HD 57xx GPU).

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points