Skip navigation
hjIndy
Currently Being Moderated

Using the Free Transform/Warp Tool causes CS6 to stop working

Mar 28, 2012 12:05 PM

Using the Free Transform/Warp Tool causes CS6 to stop working. Created an object with the brush on a new layer. Ctrl/T, Right Click and choose Warp. Moving one of the points causes the object to show up very distorted then I get a message that CS6 has stopped working.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 28, 2012 12:07 PM   in reply to hjIndy

What is the exact error message you get? Does Photoshop crash? If it does, make sure to submit a crash report. http://forums.adobe.com/message/4209084#4209084

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 28, 2012 12:31 PM   in reply to hjIndy

Are all your video drivers up to date? Have you tried restarting Photoshop/your computer?

If Photoshop completely crashes, make sure you're submitting a crash report, and try to reply with the Crash Data. http://blogs.adobe.com/crawlspace/2011/03/submitting-crash-reports.htm l

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2012 5:44 PM   in reply to hjIndy

If you could cut and paste the text you see when it crashes, that would help also.

Hopefully we can figure out what's up here. I do see you are using vista, which is not officially supported for CS6.

Pattie

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2012 8:34 PM   in reply to hjIndy

FYI, Here are the system requirements:

What are the System Requirements for the Photoshop CS6 Beta?

Did the program end up crashing and giving a report or did it get stuck in the mode in the screen shot above?

Pattie

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 21, 2012 12:11 AM   in reply to hjIndy

Do you have two systems? You say Vista and later XP and your system info provided says Vista. True Photoshop is not officially supported in Vista, although many are running on it. Photoshop CS6 is supported on XP, but you will not be able to use the GPU features such as 3d.

Did you go to the ATI website and carefully look for the latest date/version driver for this card and update it rather than letting windows look?

For a full list see here:

What features use the GPU and how do I troubleshoot GPU issues?

Pattie

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 23, 2012 9:49 AM   in reply to hjIndy

I'm using Windows7 Ultimate and i have the same problem so i guess it is not a compatibility problem

Using the "warp" tool causes the program to crash

PLz click on the followong pic so u can see the problem details

zzz.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 23, 2012 10:15 AM   in reply to adam ahmad

Adam-

Can you also paste in your system information from help>system info?  Do you have a supported video card and most recent driver?

This link shows supported cards and has additional troubleshooting suggestions. Give these a try and let us know what happens.

What features use the GPU and how do I troubleshoot GPU issues?

Pattie

Quick GPU Troubleshooting Steps

You can experience problems such as artifacts, errors, and crashes if there are incompatibilities between Photoshop and the display components that access the GPU.

If you experience crashes, incorrectly rendered windows or objects, redraw issues, or performance issues while running Photoshop, first determine whether OpenGL is causing the problem.Turn off OpenGL.

• Choose Edit > Preferences (Windows) or Photoshop > Preferences (Mac OS).
    • In the Performance panel, uncheck Use Graphics Processor. Click OK.
    • Restart Photoshop, and perform the same function.

If the problem recurs while OpenGL Drawing is disabled, OpenGL is not the cause. For additional troubleshooting, seeTroubleshoot system errors and freezes | Adobe software on Windows (cpsid_82252) or Troubleshoot system errors and freezes | Adobe software on Mac OS 10.x (cpsid_82414).If the problem resolves, proceed with the rest of the troubleshooting steps to fix OpenGL.

1. Make sure that you're using the latest update of Photoshop.
      • Updates fix bugs and issues.
    2. Update the display driver.
      • Updated display drivers can fix many issues, such as crashing, incorrectly rendered objects, and performance problems. Determine what video card you have and go directly to the manufacturer's website (nVidia or ATI/AMD) and download the latest driver. (Note: Simply doing a Windows Update is does not guarantee you are using the latest driver. You must go directly to the nVideo or ATI/AMD websites to get the absolute latest driver.) After you update your driver, turn on Use Graphics Processor in Photoshop preferences.
    3. Reset preferences.
      • Resetting preferences returns OpenGL settings to their default status. Reset Photoshop preferences by pressing and holding Shift+Ctrl+Alt (Windows) or Shift+Option+Command (Mac OS) immediately after you start Photoshop.
      • Click Yes when asked if you want to delete the Adobe Photoshop Settings File.
      • Retry the function that caused the problem.
    4. Change the OpenGL mode to Basic.
      • Setting the OpenGL mode to Basic uses the least amount of GPU memory and the most basic GPU feature set.
      • Close all documents.
      • Choose Edit > Preferences (Windows) or Photoshop > Preferences (Mac OS)
      • In the Performance panel, click the GPU Settings Advanced Settings button.
      • Choose Mode > Basic
      • Restart Photoshop.
        If this solution resolves the problem, switch to Normal mode. See if the issue recurs. If the issue recurs, return to Basic mode.
      • Note:  If you’re changing GPU preferences to troubleshoot a problem, re-launch Photoshop after each change.
    5. If you are using more than one video adapter, remove the additional cards.
      • Multiple video adapters can cause problems with GPU accelerated or enabled features in Photoshop. It's best to connect two (or more) monitors into one video adapter. If you have to use more than one video adapter, make sure that they are the same make and model. Otherwise, crashes and other problems can occur in Photoshop.
      • Note: Using two video adapters does not enhance Photoshop's performance.
    6. Check your Cache Levels setting.
      • If you've set your Cache Levels to 1 in Photoshop preferences, you can experience performance issues with GPU features. Reset Cache Levels to the default setting, which is 4.
      • Choose Edit > Preferences > Performance (Windows) or Photoshop > Preferences (Mac OS)
      • In the Performance panel, choose Cache Levels > 4.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 23, 2012 1:29 PM   in reply to hjIndy

Helen-

Excellent! Glad to hear it is all up and working. How about you, Adam?

Pattie

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 23, 2012 2:43 PM   in reply to Pattie F

Patti,

I think I can't thank u enough .. the "OpenGL" was the cause, i turned it off and now it works

I owe you one

And Helen, thank you for trying to help

I really appreciate it

Adam

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 23, 2012 5:10 PM   in reply to adam ahmad

Adam - OpenGL drawing is not the cause.  Bugs in your video driver are the cause, and by turning off the OpenGL features you are avoiding the bugs in the video card driver.  But to use all the features, you need to update your video card driver to fix the bugs in the driver.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points