Skip navigation
Bewildered Bob
Currently Being Moderated

Upgrade avail for PM 6.01 ???

Mar 28, 2012 8:13 AM

Tags: #pagemaker #6.01upgrade
Hello: Our PC User Grp has been running PM 6.01 under an older version of Win XP (SP1 or 2) for several years. PM 6.01 has just been installed on Win XP/SP3 but no longer works correctly ("divide by zero or data oveflow" err msg) during creation of PDF. Is there a low-cost (or free) upgrade avail which is supported by XP/SP3 ? Thanx.

Bewildered Bob

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 21, 2013 9:58 AM   in reply to Bewildered Bob

PM is a dead program and you’ll be throwing good money after bad. Move to InDesign while you can still do at upgrade pricing.

If you buy CS5.5 now you’ll get a free upgrade to CS6 when it’s released.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 28, 2012 8:31 AM   in reply to Bewildered Bob

InDesign is part of the Creative Suite. It’s included in Design Premium, Design Standard, and Master Collection.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 28, 2012 9:06 AM   in reply to Bewildered Bob

The only version of PM that was supported under XP is version 7. And you’d still be looking at about $80 to upgrade to a dead program.

Your call but I refuse to encourage one penny of expense on PM.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 28, 2012 9:22 AM   in reply to Bewildered Bob

Download the demo and see for yourself. I won’t lie. There’s a learning curve.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 28, 2012 2:14 PM   in reply to Bewildered Bob

Some points to remember:

• As already said, Pagemaker has been officially dead for many years now (no further develpment has been or will be done, and no updated/upgraded version compatible with the latest OSs will ever be produced).
    • The Creative Suite is a good bargain, but I understand that once bought, you won't be able to upgrade just a sigle program from the suite, just the whole suite.
    • If you just move on to InDesign, you'll be able to upgrade just that program, but you won't be offered upgrades for the suite -at least I think so.
    • The best way to find if InDesign suits your needs is what Bob said: download and test the free 30 days full trial version.
    • Using any version of PM under anything newer that Win XP is a risk on many counts: some people report complete success while some other say they cannot even install it, with everything in between; PM was never a very stable program and there is no reason to expect it to be more stable under OSs that were designed years later PM's last release; it was always a risk to work on PM files larger than a few MB; ...

My two cents.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points