Skip navigation
ROSCOE-DM
Currently Being Moderated

Opening ReaderX causes "This program wants to make changes to your computer" warning.

Mar 28, 2012 3:11 PM

Tags: #pdf #open #windows #reader_x #adobe_reader #open_pdf_document #opening_files #open_reader #user_account_control

I'm using Windows7.

Previous Adobe Reader versions worked fine on this computer; and when I first updated to Adobe Reader X it seemed to run correctly, until recently. Now everytime I try to open a .pdf file or the Reader X application, the screen goes black briefly and a "User Account Control" warning box pops-up with the message, "This program wants to make changes to your computer."

I have uninstalled Reader X, downloaded new install file from Adobe.com and re-installed the program, but it still does this everytime. I've designated Reader as the default program for .pdf files.

Can anyone tell me what's causing this to happen and/or what I can do to remedy the problem?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 28, 2012 9:57 PM   in reply to ROSCOE-DM

You should get this actually for every program you open.

See this article how to change UAC settings: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/Windows7/What-are-User-Account-Cont rol-settings

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 25, 2012 1:32 PM   in reply to ROSCOE-DM

I am having the same problem! 

Ever since I installed the latest update to Adobe Reader 10.1.3 (around the end of March) AR brings up the "Do you want to allow the following program to make changes..." whenever I open the reader.  NO OTHER applications do this except those that really need this permission.

I have not changed any UACs and in reading Pat's suggestion on changing the UACs above, I would only want to make changes if they could apply only to the Adobe Reader program.

It seems to me that something in the recent update changed Reader to cause this alert.

I sure would like to get AR to run like it used to.

Thx for your help.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points