Document could not be printed

Jul 16, 2009 10:27 PM

Latest reply: altekro.com, Apr 3, 2013 10:10 AM
Replies 1 2 3 4 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 8, 2011 4:33 AM   in reply to lesyeux

Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2011 05:27:29 -0600

To: akmsafiullah@live.com

Subject: Re: Document could not be printed Re: Document could not be printed

Windows 7 32 bits

Adobe Reader X 10.1.0

PDF/X-1a:2001 file created by Adobe Illustrator CS4 via Adobe PDF Printer on Mac OS X Leopard (Postscript + Distiller => PDF). There is absolutely no problem with this file checked by Acrobat Pro !!!!

Impossible to print on Windows 7. No problem on Mac OS X. No problem with other pdf apps.

I solve the problem today by unchecking the "Enable Protected Mode at startup" in Adobe Reader preferences + restart the application.

Edition » Preferences » General

Unecheck "Enable Protected Mode at startup" and restart Adobe Reader

>

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 8, 2011 1:05 PM   in reply to nullifidian

Just wanted to add in my 2¢. I found that the edition that was opening PDF's was in fact not adobe reader X but was adobe reader 8, and that installation was messed up. I had installed X but it had not taken over control of PDF files for some reason. Adobe 8 was not in my add/remove programs list or anywhere I could find for that matter. I found out when going to "Help" and noticed it said "about adobe reader 8".

If you dont know how to set the default program for a file type, here are the steps for Win XP.

1)Find a file of the type you intend to set (in this case .PDF)

2)Right click on the file

3)Click properties

4)In the window that opens, click on the "Change..." button

5)In the window that opens there should be a list of various programs. You want to select "Adobe Reader"

6)Make sure the box in the bottom is checked that says "Always use the selected..."

7)Click OK, Click ok, try to reopen and print.

Hope that helps.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 28, 2011 2:12 PM   in reply to nullifidian

I followed everything everyone suggested including

-Re-installing

-Change document properties

-Printing as image

-Did not install Foxit because that seemed like a band-aid solution

Found something that worked for me, so passing it along:

Stopping & restarting the Print Spooler local windows service. Worked for me on Windows7 x64.

(Also Rebooting helped.  "Have you tried turning it off and on again?")

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 2, 2011 11:21 AM   in reply to Jamesva68

What worked for me is removing the printers through Windows and then re-adding them. The Adobe Acrobat print message was mis-leading. Our network printers had been renamed and Windows didn't get the info. Removing and re-adding the network printers was the solution, as was mentioned in other comments here. Thanks!

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 12, 2011 10:17 AM   in reply to mangosnap

I updated to Adobe Reader 10 and now my PDFs won't print - any of them - so I feel comfortable that they are not corrupt. I have a couple of questions....

When I installed Adobe 10, why didn't Adobe 8 "go away"? I still have the Adobe Reader 8 file and my PDF properties says it is using the 8. Shouldn't all of that have changed to the 10?

I lwas ooking into the Adobe 10 folder to see if I could find something to direct my files to open with and couldn't find anything that looked like it would do the job.

It seems as though there are a lot of "solutions" in this thread but I don't want to do these until I know what the deal is with the 8 vs 10 folders being on my computer. I also don't want to add an extra program that forces it to work unless I've no other option.

Thanks in advance for any direction on this....

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 12, 2011 11:46 AM   in reply to columbia93

This is not at all abig deal !

First, check the problematic objects not dispalayed correctly in the adobe reader then go to Illustrator and expand  them before printing. Effects like gradient can be the cause. Inspect each and every object or text until you get the PDF correctly.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 12, 2011 5:35 PM   in reply to thahaziyad

no offense, but you should read the thread before you make blanket statements like that. if it was a "problematic object" then people wouldn't be having trouble printing documents that had always printed in the past when they upgrade Acrobat, or they wouldn't be able to print them on another machine (which they often can), or it wouldn't print without issue using 3rd party software (which it often does).

The problem is the acrobat engine, because people with both Reader and Acrobat Pro of versions ranging from 8 to X have reported this same problem in a variety of scenarios with all manner of files, many times files generated with PDF-X compliance that will rip to a sensitive press, but won't print on a local machine. Mac and PC. Reader and Pro. v. 8, 9, and X. PDFs from Photoshop, Illustrator, MS Word, and InDesign. The only constant is Acrobat.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 14, 2011 4:35 AM   in reply to nullifidian

I have an identical problem as the TS.

I think the cause of my problem is that the PDF has been edited with CutePDF Pro. After adding form fields and check boxes, I have not been able to print the document anymore. The messages are the same as the ones that have been discussed here.

For as far as I have been able to read in this thread, there is no solution for this... :-( Or am I missing something?

Some more information:

Windows 7 Professional x64

Fresh installation of Adobe Reader X

HP LaserJet 5200n

Drivers: UPD PCL5 and PCL6. Dedicated driver for this printer, also does not work.

I've printed the document without the form fields without any problems, but as soon as I edited it with CutePDF Pro, things go wrong.

Thanks!

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 20, 2011 1:53 PM   in reply to roozbehf

Printing PDF from Preview worked for me too. Thanks!

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 3, 2012 5:51 PM   in reply to nullifidian

I have uninstalled 10 and reinstalled 8. I can now print PDF's, although I do have to take extra steps now that I didn't have to prior to installing 10. There is obviously a problem with 10 and it is unfortunate that Adobe won't respond. It is also annoying that I've taken the time to come to the forum, search, revisit, etc., and no one from Adobe answered the questions I had - regarding the printing issue as well as the weirdness of the files.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 3, 2012 5:57 PM   in reply to columbia93

This is a user to user forum, not a way of contacting Adobe...

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 4, 2012 5:16 AM   in reply to columbia93

Here there are several suggestion for getting Adobe's attention:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/943434?tstart=0

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 22, 2012 11:38 AM   in reply to nullifidian

We also experienced this problem on Adobe X, printing to one of our Engineering plotters, an HP Designjet 4000. We didn't have the problem under Adobe Reader, but when we installed the full version of Acrobat X, documents would no longer print on the Arch D paper roll we use for this plotter. I tried updating both Adobe and the HP DJ4000 driver to no avail. What finally worked for us was to  turn off the "Auto Portrait/Landscape" option in the Adobe print properties setup. We found that by manually selecting "landscape" mode the document would print successfully. I hope this helps others.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 9, 2012 2:07 AM   in reply to nullifidian

Foxit Fixed it for me

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 28, 2012 11:08 PM   in reply to nullifidian

Same problem here.

But we could fix it:

please check the security settings for the folder %programfiles%\Adobe\Adobe Reader 10.0\Resource\CMap

the correct security settings for this folder should be:

Everyone: read and execute

SYSTEM: Full control

Administrators: read and execute

This worked for us.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 12, 2012 4:36 PM   in reply to nullifidian

We may face this issue if any third party PDF printers (Any printers apart from Adobe) are installed as well, try removing them all and check.

If you do not have any third party PDF printers installed try following the below steps.

1. Click on Start > type Services.msc and open the Services window.
         In the Services window choose to Start the " Printer Spooler"  service, if it is already started choose to restart it and then try printing.
        If you still face the same issue, follow Step 2.
    2. Check if the application is updated, if not launch the application and then click on Help > Check for Updates.

3. If Step 2 does not help re-install the application.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 30, 2012 8:13 AM   in reply to lesyeux

Thanks, lesyeux - unchecking that option finally fixed the prob.

For german users:

Bearbeiten -> Voreinstellungen -> Allgemein -> Geschützten Modus beim Start aktivieren -> ausschalten

Adobe Reader X 10.1.4

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 26, 2013 4:50 PM   in reply to nullifidian

I solved this issue by installing NitroPDF reader.  I don't have a clue why installing another PDF reader would fix it Adobe Acrobat X, but it did.  Oh, and I didn't un-install X either.  Good luck young Padawan.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2013 8:06 AM   in reply to nullifidian

I recently upgraded to Adobe Reader 11.0 and had similar issue.

I solved it by doing the following

Edit -> Preferences-> Documents -> View Documents in PDF/A mode ........Make it as "Never"

Restart your adobe reader and now you should be able to print.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2013 10:10 AM   in reply to nullifidian

A temporary fix for this problem:

1. email yourself the document.

2. Click view.

3. Enter in the information.

4. Right click and print.

5. Clicking change under destination. (Google Chrome)

6. Select PDF.

7. Save the document.

This is a problem with permissions and is very common.

Hope this helped.

|
    Mark as:
1 2 3 4 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points