Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Differences between PDF folios and PNG/JPG ones?

Mar 20, 2012 2:54 PM

Would anyone be able to quickly summarise the subtle differences (apart from having the option to enable pinch/zoom) between these folio types. I have a multi-folio app on Newsstand which uses JPG folios but am keen to switch to PDF for the next issue. We use all overlay types and want to target problems early!  Thanks

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 20, 2012 3:04 PM   in reply to Yellow Christian

Text is way sharper but pages may take a second or so to pop into focus.

Oh, and files are smaller.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2012 3:40 PM   in reply to Yellow Christian

Yes, but note that if you use pinch and zoom the text will stay razor sharp on the static elements but be rasterized on the overlay portions.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 21, 2012 1:42 AM   in reply to Yellow Christian

Jpg/png folios work on Android devices, PDF folios do not!

(PDF ok on iOS and not ok on Android? Somebody please call Fringe Division, we must have crossed to that alternate world)

|
    Mark as:
  • Bob Bringhurst
    4,644 posts
    May 29, 2007
    Mar 21, 2012 10:57 AM   in reply to fredericbotton

Here are the differences between PDF and JPG/PNG articles that I'm aware of:

* PDF is not supported for Smooth Scrolling articles, even if you specify the PDF image format. For memory reasons, JPG or PNG is used instead. Enabling PDF for Smooth Scrolling articles is on the roadmap.

* It sometimes takes a moment for a PDF article to come into focus, especially on the iPad 1. With iOS 5.1, this load delay is rare, at least in my experience.

* PDF articles are not supported on Android devices. If a folio includes a single PDF article, it won't load in the viewer on a mobile device.

* Pages in PDF articles can pinch & zoom if enabled in Viewer Builder.

* The thumbnail previews of PDF articles do not appear in the Folio Producer Editor.

* Overlays should look and function the same whether PDF, JPG, or PNG. When you zoom in on an overlay in a PDF article, pixelation might be noticeable, but that's expected.

|
    Mark as:
  • Bob Bringhurst
    4,644 posts
    May 29, 2007
    Mar 26, 2012 10:32 AM   in reply to Yellow Christian

Single-page PDF articles are sometimes larger than JPG/PNG articles, but longer articles are always much smaller in my testing.

|
    Mark as:
  • Bob Bringhurst
    4,644 posts
    May 29, 2007
    Mar 26, 2012 10:57 AM   in reply to Yellow Christian

Not that I'm aware of. You can submit a feature request: www.adobe.com/go/wish

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 28, 2012 8:16 PM   in reply to Bob Bringhurst

Bob, the folio panel will not allow me to upload PDF articles that are any longer than 2048 px. Any advice?

|
    Mark as:
  • Bob Bringhurst
    4,644 posts
    May 29, 2007
    Mar 28, 2012 9:14 PM   in reply to Philip BNYC12

PDF doesn't work with Smooth Scrolling articles. Here's a link that explains all the differences I'm aware of:

http://blogs.adobe.com/indesigndocs/2012/03/differences-between-pdf-an d-jpgpng-image-format-for-dps.html

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 29, 2012 5:41 AM   in reply to Yellow Christian

Christian,

where you are getting this info about sizes of each folio?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 25, 2012 8:04 PM   in reply to Yellow Christian

Is there an easy way to convert an article that has been previously uploaded as PDF, to PNG/JPG? It seems like I have to delete and upload again fresh.

I have uploaded many articles and think I should have selected PNG/Automatic - but all the properties have been carefully entered.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2012 5:00 AM   in reply to Bob Levine

Is it on Adobe's roadmap to enable pdf rendering within overlays?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2012 12:46 PM   in reply to Axel | Comfi

Axel,

If I understand your question correctly - PDF's with overlays are supported starting from v.18, see here:

http://blogs.adobe.com/indesigndocs/2012/03/differences-between-pdf-an d-jpgpng-image-format-for-dps.html

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2012 1:12 PM   in reply to Yellow Christian

This is a question to everyone, now more tricky one:

In case of PDF folios, can there be a better way to create internal cross-links (navto), other than making them manually?

I mean, if these links (such as footnotes, indexes, etc) were already created in InDesign, and will remain if document is exported as regular PDF, maybe they can be somehow inherited by PDF folio articles?

|
    Mark as:
  • Casey Jensen
    293 posts
    May 4, 2011
    Apr 27, 2012 5:01 AM   in reply to SergeWerge

Serge, there really isn't special PDF abilities. PDF is really just an image format in this scenario. It adds pinch to zoom over the other formats, and that's it. Not to say that'll always be the case, but that's the current case.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2012 12:17 AM   in reply to SergeWerge

Serge,

No, that is not my question. I'll elaborate: the pdf format render beautiful text and vector imagery - but only if this text/illustrations aren't in an overlay. If you put text within a scrollable frame, it is turned into an image (png or jpeg, don't know, but guess png). If you do a slideshow of a bunch of vector logos, they are all turned into pixel images. If you turn a graphic containing text into a button, the text is also pixelised. So ... when zooming in, 'static' text is beautiful pdf, overlay text is pixels. So, will Adobe change this, and render overlay content as pdf?

Kind regards,

Axel

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points