Skip navigation
This discussion is archived
Noel Carboni 23,528 posts
Dec 23, 2006
Currently Being Moderated

"Quote" handling for IE10 getting irritating!

Mar 25, 2012 12:03 PM

Hi guys,

This week I'm immersing myself in a Windows 8 Consumer Preview, IE10 equipped virtual machine, and trying to use everything there without using my host Windows 7 system at all.  I'm evaluating Photoshop CS6 as well in that system, and so far everything is going very well.  I'm actually able to use Windows 8, with a bunch of tweaks to make it into a serious OS.

But one niggling little irritation remains, and I know of no workaround: 

Using this forum with Internet Explorer 10 and trying to put quotes around things results in this:

"XXXXXX"

When I type the text XXXXXX above, I simply typed double quote characters in front and back.  This is what it looked like in the editor:

DoubleQuotes.jpg

Please ask the Jive developers to fix this. 

Virtually all other sites handle double quotes properly with IE10, and as you can see even this Jive software gets it right in the thread subject.

Thanks!

-Noel

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 26, 2012 3:49 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Hi Noel

Curiosity question here. Why would it matter if the HTML entities were used as long as things display correctly?

As a side note, I'm not sure Adobe holds any sway over Jive. It's like us "telling Adobe" they need to fix something in Photoshop. It might happen and it might not. Most likely might not unless it was already on their scope of things to be fixed. Then it would be a total fluke that we requested and saw what appeared to be a quick fix.

Just wondering... Rick

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 7, 2012 8:31 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

For most people who regularly look at HTML code, "XXXXXX" and "XXXXXX" looks identical

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 8, 2012 3:30 PM   in reply to Pat Willener

Pat Willener wrote:

For most people who regularly look at HTML code, "XXXXXX" and "XXXXXX" looks identical

Shouldn't they also then behave identically?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 8, 2012 6:51 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Yes, I was trying to be cute - glad you caught me

But as Claudio asks, shouldn't they also behave identically?

Yes, if the code entered is indeed (I may have to resort to some tricks now)

"XXXXXX"

then any browser sould display it as "XXXXXX".  But if IE10 somehow manages to write that as

&quot&#59;XXXXXX&quot&#59;

Then the outcome will be what you see.

I do not have IE10; can you do some tests by entering some quoted text, then view it in the HTML editor?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 8, 2012 10:23 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Now let me try the same thing with Firefox: "ABC"

The HTML editor shows:

<body><p>Now let me try the same thing with Firefox: "ABC"</p>
    </body>

Now I will add a quoted string using the quot HTML entity in the HTML editor: "ABC" - it reverted to normal quotes in the standard editor.

This all does not make any sense to me; it's like the Jive editor is testing if 'MSIE 10' then act strangely.

P.S. looking at the page source after posting, your string shows as

&amp;quot;ABC&amp;quot;

mine does

"ABC"

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 9, 2012 6:58 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

And all these things occur only here in the forum editor, not anywhere else?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 12, 2012 1:04 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

I'm sending this along to the Adobe and Jive folks, but realize that Jive uses a 3rd party editor, TinyMCE, so I don't know how much control either will have over making changes to the editor.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 29, 2012 6:16 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

I doubt that since it ws just offered for download for about a week maybe less. And from My PC buddies they consider 8 cra. and won't be updating anytime soon.

I know some people still using XP. a Cousin of mine  still use XP. In fact I have several Cousins still using XP.

But your problem Should still be fixed.

Let's see if your problem show up when I type in SeaMonkey Mac.

"XXXXXXX"

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 29, 2012 7:02 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

I do not care about Windows 8; without actually having seen it, I am sure it will go the way of ME and Vista.

However, as far as I know, IE10 will be made available on Windows 7 soon.  So I think this is a good time to address this bug.

On the other hand, as I wrote earlier, &quot; and " looks identical to my eyes.  (But I know not everyone has a HTML rendering engine in their brain.)

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 30, 2012 9:11 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

I don't discount the hard sell from MS.  I am aware they have previewing for over a year. That is one reason  my PC Buddies and relatives are sticking with what they have some describe it as a POS.  As many reports on such news as ComputerWorld, cNet, and zdNet, there thing it’s a POS and as there are reports of it’s the greatest thing since sliced Bread.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 23, 2012 12:41 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Think about it.

I mean they have an issue on Macs with URL not work from Office Documents for 15 years.

And it has been proven time after time its with Adobe, Not MS, Not Apple.

And you think they are going to fix this problem? If so you smoking something illegal.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 23, 2012 6:13 PM   in reply to Phillip Jones

Phillip,

There IS a "war," but I only see the "battles." MS IE 10 has issues. Apple will not support BD, and many of their newer laptop devices have no multi-drive, or the ability to attach an external one. [Users are demanding that Adobe find a way to write a DVD, or BD, when there is no way to hookup, or us a multi-drive.] Apple does not suppor Flash, and releases QT Player versions, that do not work with Adobe programs. Battles everywhere.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 28, 2013 8:41 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Hmm…, I'm not aware of any updates other than Jive moving from one server farm to another.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 28, 2013 10:25 PM   in reply to adobe-admin

Got rid of the Trending Topics junk. Atleast it doesn't show up on the side bar. andstarted working 5 times faster when it was removed.

In another thread I posted the current look of the sidebar and Trending topics no where to be seen.  You could speed up matters even more by dumping all topics on all Forums that haven't had any activity in two weeks to an archive Server.  Not associate directly with the forums.

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points