Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Endless loop - backup

Mar 28, 2012 10:47 AM

Tags: #loop #western_digital

Win 7, LR4

Not really expecting an answer, just throwing this out-

I have a Western Digital desktop 1 TB backup, using the WD Anywhere Backup software. I have had zero issues using this over the last three years with previous LR versions, Win Vista, and now Win 7. This issue started with the LR 4 beta, and continues with LR 4. No other issues with any other program.

I back up my LR catalog daily when exiting LR. The backup process would go into an endless loop, cycling through optimize, integrity, and backup routines. It would get almost to the end, and start over. After several cycles, LR would stop responding and quit. I would also get a popup from the Anywhere Backup software, telling me there was an error in the backup process. Another popup would tell me it had quit and offer to submit the info to WD, which I did on several occasions. I finally figured out I could complete the backup process if I paused the WD backup process, but I started getting other error messages related to WD. I have now got it down to actually quitting the WD program before opening LR, and once I have closed LR, restarting the WD program and all is well.

I have not, as of yet, tried to get help from WD. I will in the near future.

Thanks for reading!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 28, 2012 11:08 AM   in reply to retiredff

Any chance that you can tell the WD backup software to ignore your Lightroom catalogue?

Hal

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 28, 2012 1:35 PM   in reply to retiredff

If a backup program takes a copy of the catalogue while LR has it open, the copy is likely to be in an inconsistent state, anyway.

What you can do is let Lightroom take the backup on exit and then have your WD backup program back up the backup copy that LR creates. It realy is just a straight copy.

Hal

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 29, 2012 7:27 AM   in reply to retiredff

Larry,

Sure, it could be a coincidence, but if so, you've got a problem that would be a lot harder to do something about.

Could you try, just as an experiment, excluding your lightroom catalogue from the backup, and see if the problem goes away?

Hal

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 29, 2012 10:02 AM   in reply to Hal P Anderson

I don't know if this is helpful or not, but I tried using the WD Anywhere Backup utility when I obtained it via a purchase of a WD My Book NAS. I gave it a good shot, but in the end I abandoned it as I found that it just didn't play nicely with some types of files, especially the database variety such as my Lightroom catalog and my Outlook pst file. Any change triggered an immediate backup due to the nature of its 'real time instant' capability, so it seemed that those files were forever being backed up. In the end it became a total PITA, though of course that may be me not fully understanding how to best use it.

Real-time backups are a nice idea, but in practice they can be quite problematical.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points