Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

New/Open File puts window BEHIND all my tool windows - UGH.

Mar 29, 2012 7:15 AM

I'm running PS CS4/mac on a Apple 30" display and have all my tool windows set up on the left side of the screen in three columns.  When I open up a file, it is placed BEHIND my tools in the upper left hand corner so I have to keep moving it over to the right - is there a way when you open or create a new file that the window opens to the right of my tools?  Very frustrating!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 29, 2012 7:25 AM   in reply to superbooty

tool windows: you mean your window panels?  Are you sure you have "docked" the panel strip against the tool one correctly?

G

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 29, 2012 7:42 AM   in reply to superbooty

Yes,  grab the tool box with mouse and drag to right, may have to go partly off screen.  When you see a blue line drop it and it will be docked.  File window will now stop at left edge of docked tool window.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 29, 2012 8:29 AM   in reply to superbooty

Your palettes are all free floating. That is, not docked to each other. Whenever you do that, your images will open behind them. As Grant H and Curt Y have both already mentioned, your palettes need to be docked to each other, not set apart with space between them as your screen grabs show. Even docked, the docked set must be against the edge of your screen, or that docked set will still be treated as floating.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 29, 2012 8:50 AM   in reply to superbooty

That is STILL not docked!

Check the help files on this

G

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 29, 2012 10:38 AM   in reply to superbooty

Since I've never set up my palettes any other way than "normal", I've tried to duplicate your setup. Seems to be that the Tools bar must be on the left, and the palettes at the right. Even properly docked against each other, if I try to put everything on the left as you have it, the images always display underneath. Though even with the palettes at the right, larger images will still go underneath them.

One thing I did try a little different was to put everything at the right. This works well, but again, wide images will still go underneath.

d.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 29, 2012 10:59 AM   in reply to superbooty

Heh! I lied, unintentionally. It all depends on how you dock your palettes. It must be done just right. Here's how.

Notice the position of my palettes on the right in my image above (exluding the Tools bar, that's already on the left). Once I drag them left, they collapse like this:

Incorrect.jpg

No good. Images will fall underneath. You have to drag the palette group until you see this:

Correct.jpg

Let go and the palettes will snap properly docked back to the sizes I had them at on the right.

Finished.jpg

Notice the dark gray in the blank area below the Tools palette. That's another indication the palettes are docked correctly. Done like this, images do properly stay to the right of the palettes.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 29, 2012 11:25 AM   in reply to superbooty

You can do them in any order. You just have to make sure to watch for the blue/gray docking bar to appear before letting go. In the example below, I docked the palettes far left, then the Tools bar following the same procedure. Images do stay out from underneath.

opposite.jpg

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points