Skip navigation
fatduck77
Currently Being Moderated

Older versions of Photoshop

Mar 28, 2012 11:04 AM

Tags: #cs2onmac

Hello

All right, I know it's 2012, but I've just inherited a MacPower G4 and would like to run Photoshop on it. My previous experience is with Photoshop 7 on PC.

From what I understand the latest version of Apples OS the G4 will run is 10.4. I think that means the latest version of Photoshop I can use is CS2. the machines got about 1.2GB RAM, but it's the pre-Intel version.

My question is how I might go about finding a legitimate version of CS or CS2? I have read the horror stories about eBay versions of the software and am not confident going that route.

Aside from stumbling across  someone lovely with a legitimate version who is willing to transfer the license and fill in the forms, is there a trusted place that sells or resells genuine, older versions of PS?

Thanks

Scott

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 28, 2012 11:18 AM   in reply to fatduck77

iIf you last used PS7 and were OK with that I would really suggest you buy, or at least take a trial, of Photoshop Elements.  Believe latest is version 10.  It is only $100 so a lot cheaper than Photoshop and the learning curve not as steep.

It will probably have more features than your old PS7, and should run just fine on an older machine.

Buying a legitimate version of CS2 may be difficult for the reasons you mentioned.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 28, 2012 2:29 PM   in reply to fatduck77

I have an old G4 Mac with 2GB RAM and CS3 on it. I believe it is about 10 years old now. It could run 10.5 but I only upgraded it to 10.4. It sits in my attic as a backup. It is terribly slow, even with small web size graphics. It cannot even display YouTube videos smoothly. You can find similar models on eBay for $50. Cheap $200 netbooks probably have more oomph than that G4.

Do not think that you've inherited anything beyond the usefulness of nostalgia. I'm all for trying to get the most out of technology before it hits the landfill but you will waste much time and money trying to rehabilitate something so old.

If you are willing to consider the limitations of Elements, then you probably would have no issue with installing GIMP for free.

http://gimp.lisanet.de/Website/Download.html

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 28, 2012 5:37 PM   in reply to fatduck77

The last G4 Power Mac was introduced 9 years ago in 2003.  That's as old as the Iraq war and older than Facebook. Better digital cameras of that day were ~5 megapixels. If you are limiting yourself to smaller images then you might be able to tolerate that Mac.

Buying old software is truly messy. This is complicated by activation. That license that you think has been purchased  legitimately as pre-owned software still has to be activated by Adobe.  By the time you discover that it cannot be activated, your transaction with the seller is complete and you cannot get a refund.

Mac is not essential for the professional graphic designer and photographer. One can use Windows computers at a much lower cost.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 28, 2012 6:05 PM   in reply to Marian Driscoll
    Mac is not essential for the professional graphic designer and photographer. One can use Windows computers at a much lower cost.

And the flaming begins in... 3... 2... 1!

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 29, 2012 6:23 AM   in reply to pf22

I think the platform bigots left some time ago.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 29, 2012 6:55 AM   in reply to fatduck77

Speaking of v7, I've been wanting to install my old copy of this, to run an old plugin that was never developed past v1.0 (Xaos Segmation). I've read that there are issuses installing Pshop v7 on a modern system, particularly with today's larger disk drives. Can anyone enlighten me as to what the specifics are?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 29, 2012 6:59 AM   in reply to Semaphoric

PS 7 will not recognize a drive over 1T.  So if you have that large of a drive you need to install the data and scratch disk on a partition or a smaller disk.  Think the program can be installed on the larger drive.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 29, 2012 7:29 AM   in reply to Curt Y

So, I can still use a modern OS with it? That's good.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 29, 2012 7:39 AM   in reply to Semaphoric

If I remember correctly some have it installed on Win7, but not positive on that.  You can definately run it if your OS allows you to run in XP simulated mode.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 29, 2012 12:52 PM   in reply to Semaphoric

Another option if you have an old os (nt4,98,me, 2000 or xp) just sitting around, you could use vmware player or virtualbox.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 29, 2012 4:40 PM   in reply to fatduck77

I do have an older laptop with XP on it that I use for my scanning (Microtek apparently will not be releasing a 64-bit driver for my ScanMaker 9800), but it shuts down spotaneously at random times - sometimes it'll run for days, other times, it shuts down seconds after booting.

If I put Photoshop on it, I'd likely end up here asking, "Can I recover from a .TMP file after a crash?"

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points