Skip navigation
j a
Currently Being Moderated

Unresolved Cross-Reference - please help!

Mar 23, 2012 6:50 AM

Hi,

I inherited a FrameMaker 9 project from another writer and now there are many Unresolved Cross-References that I am having a hard time fixing.

The file (book) was on a shared drive, but there was a strange permissions issue, and I had to copy the file locally to open it. Then, I renamed it.

I tried to point the links to the old file names, but nothing worked. Now, the TOC in the PDF is not working when I click the hyperlinks.

Any ideas? Thank you!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 23, 2012 7:06 AM   in reply to j a

What do you mean you "tried to point the links to the old file names, but nothing worked"? Unresolved xrefs can be caused by the destination file being in use, missing or inaccessible due to permissions. Why not try to fix the permissions on the network drive folder first?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2012 7:28 AM   in reply to j a

Ok, so you're working on all the files locally now, right? Yes, you've probably busted all the xrefs by copying the files. Now the only way to fix them is to either use the book update error report to find each xref that's reported as busted and redo it to fix it. Or you could run a list of Unresolved Xrefs (through Special > List Of > References) to create a separate LoR with links to repair each. You might have avoided this damage if you had zipped up the whole set of files on the network & unzipped them locally (I haven't tried this to see if it works safely) or used a plug-in like Archive or an archive-like Extendscript in FM10.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2012 7:35 AM   in reply to j a

> I copied the entire book from the network and contents to my local drive.

That's almost guaranteed to result in broken xrefs.

Instead: open the .book and each .fm file at the source (even if read-only).

Re-save the .book to local, then re-save all the component files.

This normally updates the xrefs.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2012 7:46 AM   in reply to j a

Are the permissions that messed up that you can't even see all files on the network? I still think it would be less work to have the network admin just fix the files' permissions so that you could work on them as they always have been.

Error7103's got a better way of preserving the xrefs.

Using the LoR, you click on the link, and then remake the xref to the intended location.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2012 8:29 AM   in reply to j a

So when you click on the hyperlink in the error report, and try to open up the xref, is the destination file accessible? Can you browse and replace the xref with a new one?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2012 9:09 AM   in reply to j a

Double clicking should open up the Cross-References pod window. If the destination file is open, reselect it in the Document field and replace the "bad" xref with a new "good" one.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2012 9:27 AM   in reply to j a

That's why it's honking as an unresolved xref too - fix the permissions on the files to at least read/write (preferably Full)

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2012 10:28 AM   in reply to j a

The easiest way is just to right-click on the file in Windows Explorer & select Security - you must have local admin rights to your own machine.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2012 10:29 AM   in reply to j a

For what it is worth...

As long as all the files are on the same drive, FrameMaker stores cross-reference target using relative pathways. It uses full paths when the target is on a different drive.

When you copy files from one drive to another drive using Windows Explorer, the cross-references will remain resolved IF the files are copied into a folder-subfolder structure that mimics the structure on the original drive.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2012 11:43 AM   in reply to j a

What does your IT dept have to say about all this?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 26, 2012 8:04 AM   in reply to j a

I think you need to figure out where you want the content located & then fix up all busted xrefs there.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 29, 2012 1:50 PM   in reply to j a

Whatever works for you - I still think your permissions are all messed up ;>)

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points