Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Printing Error: Printer selection failed. Restoring the previous selection.

Mar 19, 2012 4:36 PM

Tags: #cs4 #print_error #printer_selection_failed #restoring_the_previous_selection

Hello Everyone -

We have a Windows 7 Pro x64 computer running  InDesign CS4. This computer has not had any problems at all printing from within InDesign until today. When printing the default printer is now PostScript and when we try and change it we get the error "Printer selection failed. Restoring the previous selection." The printers are accessible via other program, Adobe or not and as far as we know, there were no updates, etc... installed.

Has anyone seen this issue or can give me some steps to troubleshoot?

Thanks

- B

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 29, 2012 4:53 PM   in reply to BrianM1357896

I have a similar problem with InDesign 5.5 which was recently installed as an upgrade from 5.0. This occurs when I attempt a print to pdf. I can export fine...just no printing. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

j

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 29, 2012 5:39 PM   in reply to jbeaver02

As a temporary work-around, export as a PDF and print from Acrobat or Reader.

I am using Win7 64-bit and (so far) have not had this happen to me so I do not know of what would cause it. I assume you both have tried uninstalling your current printer(s) and reinstalling them? Or looking to see if there are updated drivers?

Take care, Mike

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 30, 2012 5:08 AM   in reply to jbeaver02

jbeaver02 wrote:

I have a similar problem with InDesign 5.5 which was recently installed as an upgrade from 5.0. This occurs when I attempt a print to pdf. I can export fine...just no printing. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

j

Are you on Mac or Windows?

Under what circumstances are you trying to print to PDF? Can you do it from other applications?

|
    Mark as:
    May 9, 2012 2:04 PM   in reply to Peter Spier

I am suddenly having the same problem. It insists on inserting PostScript in the dropdown which also lists my own printer and which has always worked right up to today. Why can I not insert one of the choices offered. Why can I not change the PostScript selection?  There must be a simple solution.

YCheers,

Tony B

|
    Mark as:
    May 9, 2012 3:06 PM   in reply to highshore13

First, be sure the printer is online and working. If you can print from other apps, try reinstalling the printer, and try trashing your prefs: Replace Your Preferences and restoring to an earlier point in time from backup or System Restore.

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2012 1:48 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

Yes, printer onli nbe and working fine with MS Word output and other tasks.  Have today got ID to accept my printer rather than PostScript in the dropdown and it enabled me to print PDFs as it used to do.

However, when I try to print the PDFs  from Adobe Acrobat Pro absolutey nothing happens. Warning comes up telling me to select "print directly to the printer" option from Adobe PDF printer properties Advanced tab.

There is no such seletion offered in the Advanced tab. So again I am stuck - this time totally unable to print out from Adobe Acrobat.

Cheers,

Tony

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2012 6:15 AM   in reply to highshore13

You may need to move this to the Acrobat forum, but is there a Checkbox in your Acrobat print dialog that says Print to File?

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2012 5:49 PM   in reply to BrianM1357896

Having the same problem - can't select any other option to print (including printing to a pdf).  How do I fix this???

ETA:  I've renamed the SavedData and Defaults preference files but when I try the ctrl+alt+del when starting ID, I just get the windows task manager screen.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 22, 2012 1:44 PM   in reply to fifteen89

I just ran across this issue on Indesign 5 with windows 7.  I don't know if the solution works as it wasn't on my PC, but someone I was helping troubleshoot printing problems and I haven't had a chance to test it yet.

Fifteen89, The article said Ctrl+Alt+Shift. I almost didn't catch the difference since I'm used to using the Delete with that combination instead of shift. Its an old article, so I hope you've figured it out, but maybe it will help the next person.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 29, 2012 2:23 AM   in reply to BrianM1357896

Getting exactly the same problem. I am using Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit + Adobe InDesign CS6 (via creative cloud) and have had the same problem with previous versions of InDesign in the past.

Scouring the 'net I have seen exactly the same problem reported on various Mac OS as well, using various releases of InDesign, so it isn't just a Windows' problem.

In all cases, including my own, the user's printer(s) work fine in all other applications so it seems to me that this problem is most certainly a bug in InDesign, without any shadow of doubt. As this is a program that has a primary function in life to produce printed output above all else, this seems to me a very serious bug indeed and it is about time Adobe sorted it out!

There are well documented work-arounds. I favour the 'export as PDF' and then print from that but it is an extra and unnecessary stage in the workflow that just wastes time.

Experimenting with InDesign yesterday it seems to me that this bug, in InDesign CS6 anyway, manifests itself only when you load up and modify a job created on a previous version of the software. Starting a job afresh in InDesign CS6 seems to allow the print section of the software to work just fine.

I was on the verge of signing up for a year's worth of Creative Cloud but having been plagued with this annoying bug during the trial period I am seriously looking at alternatives to Adobe software and am finding many interesting and useful alternatives out there.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 29, 2012 2:49 AM   in reply to pete_king_46

So true - there are indeed "many interesting and useful alternatives out there", all of which seem to do the job equally as well and at considerably lower prices. It's a  message Adobe really needs to heed, especially as it seems reluctant to fix obvious, well-documented and persistent bugs such as this.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points