Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Setting Adobe default application version not working

Mar 28, 2012 6:41 AM

My company has nearly all adobe applications installed from PageMaker 6.5 through InDesign 5.5. We use them all frequently. I'm trying to set my defaults on the Mac Pros and it is not working.

Specs if Needed:

OSX 10.6.8

Model Identifier:          MacPro5,1

Processor Name:          Quad-Core Intel Xeon

Processor Speed:          2.8 GHz

Number Of Processors:          1

Total Number Of Cores:          4

Memory:          6 GB

Boot ROM Version:          MP51.007F.B01

+BootCamp dual boot Windows 7

We proof out all files in the version that it comes to us. Our customers are on different versions than the most current, and it's driving us crazy that we can't set the defaults for each Adobe application (ONLY IN OSX 10.6). For Instance,

We want for Defaults:

Photoshop = CS4

InDesign = CS4

Illustrator = CS5

etc. instead of everything opening in CS5.5

The Finder will not allow us to make the change to open all of a certain file type in the version we want by default. We also use a third party application that allows us to "double click" InDesign files and open them in the correct version. This saves valuable navigation time and because of the OS's problem with using the correct icons, it also saves us time dealing with the "Untitled" document when we accidentally convert by opening in the wrong application by mistake. We have gone through Onyx utilities and massive permissions troubleshooting to no avail. Does anyone know how to set the default for ALL files of a type for Adobe Apps? This has been thoroughly tested and is not working on 10 plus machines (although the entire division of hundreds have the problem), and only effects Adobe apps. There is no reason why the app should not be able to tell which version document is being opened, even when the extension is the same.

Any Ideas?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 28, 2012 3:21 PM   in reply to Seth McGraw

What "third party application" are you using? (And is it only for InDesign?) Is this Rorihiko's Soxy? If it's not working, have you contacted the company that made the software?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 28, 2012 3:55 PM   in reply to Tom Usrey

Is there a way of setting Mac's to default to an earlier version of Indesign without using a 3rd party application, With windows you can edit the registry to make it default to CS4.

At work here we have both CS4 an CS5.5, but 5.5 is more for customers that bring work to us that we can open them.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 28, 2012 4:22 PM   in reply to mckayk_777

I told him about Soxy in another forum where he posted. He doesn't want to pay for a solution.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 28, 2012 9:51 PM   in reply to Seth McGraw

Seth,

I told you what I use myself, and what others have recommended. This forum is read by many knowledgeable users, and is perhaps the best place to get an answer from expert-level InDesign users. Let's see what others think.

Steve

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 29, 2012 6:35 AM   in reply to Seth McGraw

Seth,

Here's my take on it. If the OS will not allow you to do what you need (and I wouldn't wait, hoping Apple will fix this problem for you), but a third-part plug-in will, then it becomes a matter of cost versus return. Ten licenses of Soxy will cost you $159.00. How much time (and thus money) will having it save you over a year?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 29, 2012 7:37 AM   in reply to Tom Usrey

I should have said "How much time (and thus money) will having it save you over the lifetime of the computers?"

The license is not time-limited, but a license is only good on the computer where it is initially installed. So if you keep your computers for five years, the cost (if you have 10 computers) would be about $3.20 a year per computer. Is it worth that much to solve your problem?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 29, 2012 3:23 PM   in reply to Seth McGraw

Seth,

You keep saying this should be part of the core function of ID, but opening a file on double-click is an OS operation, not something Adobe controls. Your beef is with Apple.

That said, you should contact Rorohiko and find out if they would issue the kind of site license you need (or retrain the staff).

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 29, 2012 3:33 PM   in reply to Seth McGraw

We have the same problem here Tom, and the simplest answer to it is when the OS starts up have Indesign start with it. you can do the same with illustrator and photoshop but that starts to slow down the startup of the machine, unless you have them on a schedule startup so many minutes before people show up.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 29, 2012 4:41 PM   in reply to Seth McGraw

I know you're frustrated, but you're not speaking to Adobe employees. We are merely users like you.

You could make a feature request to Adobe but that's a long-term solution.

I'd bet the guy at Rorohiko would love to negotiate a license for several hundred computers.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 29, 2012 9:11 PM   in reply to Seth McGraw

I know no more than I knew this morning or yesterday. If I had an answer, I would have given it to you. Sorry.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 30, 2012 5:23 AM   in reply to Seth McGraw

Seth McGraw wrote:

I thought you did work for Adobe, sorry Steve.

Adobe employees, on the rare occasion that you see them here, are clearly identified with a badge below their avatars. Everyone else is just a volunteer user. ACPs are awarded that designation for demonstrated proficiency and their willingness to help others, but we don't work for Adobe and have no real inside track with the engineers.

You said only Adobe apps behave this way. What other applications do you run with multiple versions? Do they use the same name for the executable on all versions (a la InDesign.exe) and or the same file extension for each version (a la .indd as opposed to .pm6 and .pmd)?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 30, 2012 7:02 AM   in reply to Seth McGraw

No problem. Ranting comes with the territory. ;-)

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2012 5:26 AM   in reply to Seth McGraw

Hi Seth,

RorohikoKris here. Just to let you know - we regularly deal with large accounts, and we do have a special type of Soxy site license for sites with > 100 users. These licenses are completely different to our 'normal' licenses, which you're referring to. Instead of 'per-install' these are 'per-user', they are floating, and they are made to be easy to deploy - no activation needed, no license files; simply install the software and that's it. Feel free to contact us for more info.

Cheers,

Kris

|
    Mark as:
  • Casey Jensen
    300 posts
    May 4, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 13, 2013 2:38 PM   in reply to Seth McGraw

I built a little tool to resolve this problem for InDesign CS3-CS6. No guarantees are implied, and it's beta. It requires a system restart after installation.

The installer installs a small python script, an automator app, and a python module. It switches the default opener for .indd to the app. The app grabs the source document and passes it to the python script. The python script reads the xmp of the file to determine which version of ID the file was created with, and launches the corresponding version. The script is very basic, and requires the apps to be located in their native locations (Although it could be edited via a text editor). I'll probably add some more error handling at a later point in time.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points