Skip navigation
BobbyYoder
Currently Being Moderated

Parallel Text???

Mar 26, 2012 9:57 AM

I am trying to do a parallel Bible layout of 3 different translations and need the verses to line up with each other from the 3 different versions. For example, when you would look at verse 3 in a specifice chapter, the top of that verse would line up in all three versions (columns). How can I do this???

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 26, 2012 2:32 PM   in reply to BobbyYoder

One possibility would be to create a table with 3 columns. Each verse fills the same raw in a different column with on of the languages.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 29, 2012 5:47 PM   in reply to Willi Adelberger

I'm also doing page layout of documents with parallel (multilingual) columns, and I think it would be great if InDesign could handle this. I would save so much time! The table solution is not working for me, because I would have to manually break paragraphs at the bottom of each page. Plus, my client is updating the documents each quarter. So manually split tables will have to be fixed all along the document, again and again.

A long time ago, I've suggested this feature through "Feature Request" form. I wish InDesign could do this, just like WordPerfect of Word...

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 30, 2012 5:06 AM   in reply to BobbyYoder

You can have parallel threads -- you need to create master text frames and link them in two threads -- it's the paragraph synchronization that's the problem. One, really ugly and time consuming, method of dealing with this would be to set your style to have the first line align to a grid, then run through the document and add additional space before or after paragraphs to push the first lines onto the same grid line.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 30, 2012 6:00 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

Yes, that's what I do now: I manually insert empty paragraphs all over. And each time I insert an empty paragraph, I'm sorry that I have to manually do something that I was doing automatically 20 years ago in the old WordPerfect.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 30, 2012 3:47 PM   in reply to Philippe_Lanthier

Space before, or space after would be preferable, in my opinion, to empty paragraphs. Space before/after is ignored at the top of a column, but the empty paragraph is not.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points