Skip navigation
gw70115
Currently Being Moderated

Will Adobe Reader (iOS) be able to handle acrobat file with video?

Mar 28, 2012 3:48 PM

I have created power point slides with embedded video.   I used Acrobat to make a pdf version of the power point slides.  All of the Action Buttons and Video displays perfectly in Windows.

I am interested in have this pdf file be display on an iPad (now or sometime in the future).   Does anyone know if that is in the works for Adobe Reader for iOS (iPad) ??    If so, possible time frame ???

Thanks,

G

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 30, 2012 7:51 AM   in reply to gw70115

Unfortunately the current version of Adobe Reader for iOS doesn't support playing videos embedded in PDF.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 30, 2012 10:48 AM   in reply to gw70115

I don't know at this point -- especially since Adobe doesn't discuss future products.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2012 8:54 PM   in reply to gw70115

I too have an interest in getting Adobe Reader for Android to play video embedded within a PDF document? Adobe Reader on my PC plays them perfect. I have about 1000 pages of medical teaching material and about 100 associated video clips. I desire to place that all into PDFs with all the videos embedded into the PDFs. I would loan each of my students an Android tablet loaded with the teaching material. The material needs continual updating and the tablets could be updated every few months. My students would carry these 7 inch tablets permanently in a coat pocket ready for instant fact review as needed. There is no other simpler short cut between my permanent studying and rewriting of teaching material and my students' access to it. When is Adobe going to add this highly desirable embedded video playing ability to Adobe Reader for Android?       

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2012 8:22 AM   in reply to Rawcinante

On ios, we do support playing videos that are embedded as part of a portfolio or as an attachment on a regular document. The key is that the video must be in a format that the device can play. See video formats listed here under Video technologies:

http://developer.apple.com/library/ios/#documentation/Miscellaneous/Co nceptual/iPhoneOSTechOverview/MediaLayer/MediaLayer.html

I tested such a sample PDF recently. Unfortunately, our forums don't have a means of posting these files. If you'dl ike to see a sample, please email adobereader-ios@adobe.com and request the embedded video sample from me (Pat W.)

Thanks!

Pat

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2012 8:32 AM   in reply to Pat Wibbeler

You could send the sample to me and I could post it permanently in this forum. Send me a PM and I'll forward my email.

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2012 10:31 AM   in reply to gw70115

I'd like to clarify "embedded". It's not "inline" in the document. Right now, we support an attachment or bundling in a portfolio. Further, I'm not sure that powerpoint will encode or export the video in the correct format for ios to understand.

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2012 11:14 AM   in reply to gw70115

I don't know what PowerPoint does with an embedded video. It may (or may not) encode it. The only way to know is to try. Note that not all mp4's will play on the ios devices. If you have the mp4, you should be able to email it to yourself and see if the iPad will play it.

Unfortunately, we don't support links in portfolios. The portfolio will show up on the Reader with a list of the embedded files. If you want to include content and the mp4 in the PDF, I'd recommend a flat PDF document with an attached mp4 file (attachment added using the attachments tab in Acrobat - the little paperclip on the left).

Pat

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2012 11:17 AM   in reply to Pat Wibbeler

LoriAUC was kind enough to post some sample files here:

http://forums.adobe.com/docs/DOC-2061

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 17, 2012 8:02 AM   in reply to Pat Wibbeler

@ Pat Sorry:

I'd like to clarify "embedded". It's not "inline" in the document.

Sorry: inline is streaming linking video?

many thanks.

f

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 18, 2012 4:17 AM   in reply to Folobo

Hi,

My meaning was that the video is packaged with the PDF (Embedded) . This means one copies  only a single PDF file to  the PC. It works fine on PC. The video works. It doesn't work on android systems and MAC systems as I can determine. I don't want to go the streaming route as that complicates things and requires an internet connection and more problems.

Robert

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 18, 2012 5:25 AM   in reply to Rawcinante

Many thanks Robert.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status