• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Mac OSX Player Issue: kernel: IOSurface: buffer allocation size is zero.

Jul 28, 2011 Jul 28, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We posted a blog entry trying to investigate the Console.app error log messages that appear when using the Adobe Flash Player on OSX (32bit and 64bit affected, 10.7 Lion, Player version 10.3 and 11.0).

find our Blog entry here: http://www.nanofunk.net/mac-osx-lion-10-7-system-freezes-kernel-iosurface-buffer-allocation-size-is-...

The Message that appears is

kernel: IOSurface: buffer allocation size is zero

To reproduce the issue, use this steps

1. click on "Clear Display" in Console.app
  2. go to http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/ and the error will show up in the console.

Sometimes, this freezes the whole OSX system, with a spinning beachball for at least 20seconds, up to five minutes.
This is inacceptable. We are hoping to hear back from Apple or Adobe ASAP.
Please try to reproduce this on your OSX installation and post the results to this thread.
thanks,
nanofunk.net

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 28, 2011 Jul 28, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue. The link you supplied does not cause the message to appear in my console, but other webpages with video players cause the message (youtube, any webpage with a flash video player). It happens in safari but not firefox. It caused my system to freeze at least 5-6 times over the past 5 days I have had my new MacBook Pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 12, 2011 Oct 12, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

october 2011, mac os lion 10.7.1 with updated current flash player - the issue still happens, though thankfully I cannot perceive a freeze on my system, but my console is full of "buffer allocation size is zero" messages when I visit flash pages, e.g. youtube. Is anyone investigating at Adobe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 03, 2011 Nov 03, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue with pages of this error message.  Apparently, many others are as well.

Does anyone from Adobe monitor these forums?  Can they acknowledge monitoring this forum, or that this is as issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 15, 2011 Nov 15, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apparently hoping from any response from Adobe is asking too much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 26, 2011 Dec 26, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

chad.furstenberg wrote:

Does anyone from Adobe monitor these forums?  Can they acknowledge monitoring this forum, or that this is as issue?

The only way to make sure that a bug gets noticed the the Adobe developers is to file a bug report at https://bugbase.adobe.com/

Once you have done this, please post the bug id or bugbase link back here in the forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 27, 2011 Dec 27, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

here is the post in the adobe bugbase

https://bugbase.adobe.com/index.cfm?event=bug&id=3077658

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 09, 2012 Jan 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it looks like the adobe people are not really responsive at all. I thought a company that big needs at least any kind of support or responsiveness, but that does not seem to be the case. Please, everyone affected: please do add comments to the adobe bugbase, so we can get that nasty issues sorted out!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 21, 2011 Dec 21, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok, we have 6 months later, Apple Mac OS X 10.7.3 and there is still no update on this issue. The amount of the messages in the log file are less, but not entirely away. What is the problem, Adobe? Why do bug fixes take so long? Why do we Apple users have to suffer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 26, 2011 Dec 26, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the poll on insanelymac.com shows, that various people with flash versions 10 and 11 are affected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 11, 2012 Jan 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everybody, I am an italian MacPro running lion 10.7.2 owner and have experienced the same Console.app error with same freeze of my Mac (30 to 60 seconds).I think it's time Adobe fix the problem! I am forced not to use flash player on my mac, and I NEED it! Came on! Fix the problem Adobe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Jan 11, 2012 Jan 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To reproduce the issue, use this steps

1. click on "Clear Display" in Console.app  
  2. go to http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/ and the error will show up in the console.

Well, nanofunk.net, if clicking "Clear Display" in Console.app puts your system into an unstable state, DON'T DO IT!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 12, 2012 Jan 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fwiw, I was able to reproduce the console message, but I haven't seen any hangs / pauses when Flash Player is rendering swf content.  I've gone ahead and opened an internal bug against this and linked it against your external report.

I would strongly recommend that anyone effected by this issue go to the external bug report and cast your vote for a fix.

Thanks,

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 29, 2012 Mar 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

we have 8 months later and still the issue is there with adobe flash player 11.2. this is ridicolous. people, start boycotting the flash player. this is unacceptable.

i just blogged about this issue again and recommended uninstalling flash air and flash player until adobe resolves all the issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 30, 2012 Mar 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fwiw, this bug is being actively investigated.

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 31, 2012 May 31, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as I've been able to discover, this bug is specific to WebKit browsers running (Chrome and Safari are based on WebKit).  Perhaps it is related to those browsers running plugins (like Flash) and using an IOSurface to pass the rendering data back from the plugin.  This issue was constant on my late 2010 MBP and would freeze the machine entirely once a day.  Having switched to using Firefox or Opera I no longer see ANY messages for "IOSurface: Buffer allocation size is zero".  Thankfully, this also comes without any more freezing when time machine starts up or at any other time.

It looks like there are a lot of changes going on in WebKit relating to IOSurface usage (http://svnsearch.org/svnsearch/repos/WEBKIT/search?logMessage=iosurface).  Hopefully this will be fixed very soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 01, 2012 Jun 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Shane,

Would you mind adding your notes to this bug report?

Thanks,
Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines