Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Pattern fill warp / distort irrespective of path

Mar 31, 2012 5:02 AM

Hello

In Illustrator I am trying to distort a pattern fill yet keep the path of the shape the same. I want to have quite fine control over the pattern I'm distorting.

I am trying to use the envelope distort tool (with the pattern fill selected in Envelope options) with a 1x1 mesh but I can't seem to get it to work. Hopefully the image below shows what I am trying to do. The result is a photograph of what I want to create in Illustrator -- I can't seem to do it. Please help!

jb.jpg

Thanks in advance ...

John

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 31, 2012 5:23 AM   in reply to johnb1977

Make the lines slect them all or make a group and the go to Envelope Distort>Make with Mesh or Make with Warp

Now if you don't want gaps of any kind then you are either limited by the curves you create with the mesh or you make on of the colors a rectangle that is behind the other  color which ill be the strokes.

Also use your shape as a guide then use it as a clipping mask once you have the mesh correct to your liking.

Screen Shot 2012-03-31 at 8.20.18 AM.png

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 31, 2012 5:49 AM   in reply to johnb1977

Note: If you use a pattern, make sure you choose "Distort Patterns" in the "Envelope Distort Options".

Also, the background could be set as a different fill in the Appearance Panel, making it easy to update.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 31, 2012 6:12 AM   in reply to johnb1977

You're kind of approaching it backwards.

Essentially, you want to be able to start with a rectangular piece of striped fabric, and then "drape" it. So do that; draw your initial piece of fabric, and then drape it. Said another way...

You want the stripes' distortion to be determined by the final outer shape. So it's working backward to draw the final shape and then fill it with stripes.

So don't apply the Pattern Fill to a path already drawn in the final shape; apply the Pattern Fill to a simple rectangle (thereby creating your piece of "fabric." Then apply a 1 row, 1 column Mesh Envelope to it (thereby making your "fabric" moldable). Then shape the Envelope.

Just as when drawing efficient and supple paths, keep things as economical as possible. It's far easier to keep control of fewer meshPoints than many. Create mesh cells only as they are actually needed.

JET

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 31, 2012 7:54 AM   in reply to JETalmage

If I have a pattern-filled object, after converting to a 1 column, 1 row gradient mesh, the pattern disappears. How did you make the pattern stay when your object was converted to a gradient mesh?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 31, 2012 8:26 AM   in reply to jay fresno

I didn't convert it to a Gradient Mesh. I applied a Mesh Envelope to it.

JET

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 31, 2012 9:11 AM   in reply to jay fresno

My misunderstanding. I created a gradient mesh instead of using envelope distort, make with mesh. But, it still doesn't work for me. When I move handles around, the shape changes, but the stripes don't. What step am I missing?

Untitled-2.png

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 31, 2012 9:13 AM   in reply to JETalmage

JET,

Our posts must have crossed each other. Thanks for the further explanation! It's working perfectly now. Very clever technique.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points