Skip navigation
Ossy2
Currently Being Moderated

Lightroom 4 Failure to download images from 5dmk11

Mar 30, 2012 3:27 PM

Tags: #lightroom #images #4 #to #failure #download_

I have been using Lightroom 2 for 2 half years with no problems I have a Canon 5D Mk11, I upgraded to Lightroom 4 yesterday and I have found that I cannot download any images from my camera.

Has anyone had this problem?

If so can someone please tell me how to get around the problem.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 30, 2012 4:04 PM   in reply to Ossy2

Works here.

OS?

Transfer method? (Cable, Card Reader, Copy to Folder and import?)

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 31, 2012 7:01 AM   in reply to Ossy2

Use a card reader.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 31, 2012 7:10 AM   in reply to Ossy2

A Card Reader will fix your issue, likely. Camera direct connection tends to be the most problematic.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 31, 2012 9:31 AM   in reply to Ossy2

How old is the card reader? older ones from a few years ago will be slower than the ones made more reciently.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2012 7:21 AM   in reply to Ossy2

I like the Lexar USB3.0 Dual Slot reader.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2012 8:44 AM   in reply to Ossy2

There are some issues with the 5D MKII and certain apps on Snow Leopard, and apparently now LR4. Why not use Canon's EOS utilty that came on the software CD with your 5D MKII? I also suggest installing Canon Digital Photo Professional, which will allow you to read all picture information including Canon's proprietary data (such as micro focus adjustment settings, etc)...which LR can't read. Even though I do 99% of my image processing in LR, I find them very useful from time to time. The latest versions that are supported on Snow Leopard are:

EOS Utility 2.10.4 Updater for Mac OS X 01/27/1217.88 MB
    Digital Photo Professional 3.11.4 Updater for M... 02/13/1273.10 MB

Available here:

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/eos_slr_camera_systems/ eos_digital_slr_cameras/eos_5d_mark_ii#DriversAndSoftware

You will need to install them first from the Canon CD that came with your 5D MKII, and then download and install the above updates.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 7, 2012 10:32 AM   in reply to Ossy2

You can report this as a bug here:

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family

You can also download and try LR4.1 RC here:

http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/lightroom4-1/

It will install as separate application and will not overwite your current LR4 installation or affect LR4 on uninstalling LR 4.1 RC.

IMHO -  I never use LR's 'Card' or Camera' import tools. There have been numerous issues posted in the LR forums of users "losing files" during LR import direct from camera or memory card. I'm sure most of these are due to "user error" or "equipment malfunctions," but that's my point "It Happens!"

I use Windows Explorer or the Canon EOS Utility to transfer image files direct from the camera or card reader to a target hard drive folder. Only after all files have been transferred to the hard drive folder do I import them into LR. If you have mutiple memory cards you can import and start review of the first card's files in LR while the others are downloading. It doesn't take much longer using this two-step procedure, but lost images can mean having to reshoot a job, or worse, lost forever. Before deleting or formatting a memory card, I also check the files imported into LR for editing ability and in Windows Explorer for file count match of the hard drive folder to memory card .

Knocking on wood, I havent lost a single camera image file since LR 1.0.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 7, 2012 7:24 PM   in reply to Ossy2

All previous release candidate (RC) versions had the ability to be installed as a "standalone application," at least on Windows OS platforms. I uninstalled LR4 before loading LR4.1RC, so was not aware of the behavior you experienced. Not sure why they made this change, but LR4.1RC is what you want to be using anyhow until the 4.1 final release is available.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points