How would it change things?

What would hope that it would be?

Replies
  • joe bloe premiere
    4,391 posts
    Dec 6, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 30, 2012 6:21 AM   in reply to wolverine.ks

I would never consider a touch interface.

The thought of greasy fingertips on my displays makes me cringe.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 30, 2012 8:26 AM   in reply to wolverine.ks

There are just too many functions that require more 'interface' than a touch screen can provide.  Consider that you have two mouse buttons, a scroll wheel, a full 104 keyboard interface and all the combinations that those are capable of, being replaced with just a couple of fingers.

I just don't think it can be done effectively.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 30, 2012 8:31 AM   in reply to joe bloe premiere

Touch screens are very bad for repetitive and precise motions---exactly the sorts of motions that are needed for video editing---so it is hard to imagine the complete interface of Premiere Pro working well as a touch-based interface.

That said, there are several Adobe companion applications for tablets that use touch interfaces:

http://www.adobe.com/products/touchapps.html

You can submit feature requests here: http://www.adobe.com/go/wish

( more on feedback for Premiere Pro )

|
    Mark as:
  • joe bloe premiere
    4,391 posts
    Dec 6, 2009
    Mar 30, 2012 8:52 AM   in reply to Jim Simon

I just don't think it can be done effectively.

Don't underestimate the magicians at apple... I'll bet we see it in FCP XI.

So simple, granny can do it on her phone!

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 30, 2012 9:59 PM   in reply to joe bloe premiere

I'll bet we see it in FCP XI.

Considering the professional joke that is FCP X, that's not saying much.

|
    Mark as:
  • joe bloe premiere
    4,391 posts
    Dec 6, 2009
    Mar 31, 2012 5:43 AM   in reply to Jim Simon

But just think...

if they make it simple/stupid enuf that granny can edit on her phone, it might

move some of the lame-brained, pitifully uninformed, questionably licensed,

'I wanna post to YouTube' questions to the FCP forums instead of here!

There should be a special font for sarcasm.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 31, 2012 7:33 AM   in reply to joe bloe premiere

You're doing quite well without a special font.

joe bloe premiere wrote:

|
    Mark as:
  • joe bloe premiere
    4,391 posts
    Dec 6, 2009
    Mar 31, 2012 8:34 AM   in reply to Jerry Klaimon

Great!  Thanks!

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 31, 2012 10:12 AM   in reply to joe bloe premiere

Oh, but there is:

https://www.google.com/search?aq=f&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=sarcasm+ font

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2013 4:05 PM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

Todd_Kopriva wrote:

Touch screens are very bad for repetitive and precise motions---exactly the sorts of motions that are needed for video editing---so it is hard to imagine the complete interface of Premiere Pro working well as a touch-based interface.

That said, there are several Adobe companion applications for tablets that use touch interfaces:

http://www.adobe.com/products/touchapps.html

You can submit feature requests here: http://www.adobe.com/go/wish

( more on feedback for Premiere Pro )

I think you missed the point. You're supposed to use your imagination for this one.

I think touchscreen monitors would just be a level of functionality in an ideal set-up. You should ideally be able to edit with 1. mouse and keyboard, 2. control surface (like Avid MC) 3. touch screen interface for the timeline and effects.

Say I had 6 monitors. 1 plasma TV program monitor, 1 for source media, 1 for timeline, 1 for effects, and 1 for desktop or audio mixer. If my monitors were all touch screen except the plasma, then I would work on the timeline with the mouse and key then I could add effects with my left hand and use the control surface for adjustments and keep the mouse in the timeline to keep things fast and focused.

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2013 5:44 PM   in reply to joe bloe premiere

Well, there are many, who wish to do photo editing on their smartphones. Heck, I hate using Photoshop on my 17" laptop, and head to my dual 21" monitors, wishing that I had dual 30" screens. I cannot even type a quick text message on my Droid, without having to make corrections. Guess that I am just too old, with fingers too fat, but tiny screens do nothing for me. By next year, you will likely see the full CC suite on a smart-watch...

As for touch-screen, my truck has one for most functions, but I am more comfortable with the joystick model on wife's car. Also, I have to clean that touch screen every couple of days, and I do not allow eating in my truck - just finger grease.

For my workstation monitor setup, reaching over the tablet, to touch my screens would not be a good thing. In other setups, it might well work just fine.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2013 8:59 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

When I picture using a touch screen to edit, I picture a big glass plate in front of me at a slight angle, reaching from the front of my desk up to the bottom of my two monitors. So the touch screen would be about 48 inches by 24 inches. 

I could make a hand gesture to call up a keypad for minor typing, but I could pull the old keyboard out from underneath the desk like people sometimes do already.

I would want all of the tools that I used regularly on the screen but I could add or subtract as necessary. My finger would be the mouse, I wouldn't need to hold a plastic one in my hand.

I want a jog wheel and shuttle, I want to be able to gesture against the glass to increase the timeline scale, or decrease it. I would want a large thumbnail of the actual Premiere Pro desktop in the corner so I could tap on the window I wanted to work in - but the greasy fingers would be on the touch screen in front of me and not on my monitors.

I want to be able to draw on the glass too, and have it show up in Photoshop or Illustrator (as vector art). I want to be able to adjust audio using all ten fingers like in a studio and not just one track at a time. It would need to be adjustable to fit different sized hands, and to accommodate different hand positions.

These are all tasks that are possible today. No new technology required. We just need a new design for the touchscreen to sit on the desk properly and at the correct incline for comfort. How hard could this be?

If someone could find enough applications in other fields to make it profitable to build, it could be a hit. If an accountant or stock broker could use such a thing, or teachers. Who knows. It just needs to be enough people so that it could be mass produced at a reasonable price. We just need one touch screen to control the activities on our regular monitors.

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2013 9:49 PM   in reply to Steven L. Gotz

Steven,

Sounds like you are talking about the "video table," from Hawaii 5-0, where you throw up an Image, or video Clip, and it appears on a 120" x 48" video wall, and you then edit via geatures. Just don't scratch your nose, while editing, as you never know what THAT will lead to...

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2013 10:06 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

the "video table," from Hawaii 5-0

Pfft!  CSI:Miami was doing this several seasons before anyone even thought of rebooting that show.

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2013 10:17 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

Ah, that was the series that generated this version of Photoshop:

Photoshop CSI.jpg

Have not seen a PrPro CSI version, but maybe that is only for the CC.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2013 6:21 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Bill,

Actually, that is probably close. I watch CSI when I can but I gave up on Hawaii Five-O after the first season. I don't need the unrealistic CSI stuff, just the control surfaces.

I don't see any technical difficulties with what I want. If the X-Box or Wii can detect my movements, (I forget which - or is it both?) and touch screens are common, why not touch screen control surfaces.

I believe someone is close with an iPad version, so why not something big instead of small? Something that uses a relatively large pixel count.

Even if it needed a separate graphics card, most of us have room, but it would be better if it had the card built in, I think.

Having said that I don't need the CSI magic, I am pretty amazed at what I saw in my models eyes. Especially the picture where I caught you sneaking wine from someone else's cellar.

Seriously, just think, a gesture and you can pick up the light pen and use the entire surface to draw a picture. Think of having a huge screen to use more than one finger to rearrange icons (now that we will be able to sort the darn things in Premiere Pro CC).

I eventually can picture a huge video wall that eliminates the need for control surfaces within a decade or two. We stand in front of it and basically dance around getting everything done. We all lose a lot of unnecessary weight and live a lot longer because of all of the cardio work. Hey! It could happen!

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2013 8:16 AM   in reply to Steven L. Gotz

Steven,

Putting on my "futurist hat," I can just imagine an editing suite, where every editor is doing their work Gangnam Style...

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2013 8:30 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Ah, that was the series that generated this version of Photoshop:

Dude, that was awesome!

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2013 7:28 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

I am familiar with the style but I am not inclined to give anyone that blatantly anti-American any credit for anything.

I would prefer something along the lines of how a puppeteer (Marionettes) moves.

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2013 7:39 PM   in reply to Steven L. Gotz

Well, this thread got non-sensical quick.

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2013 7:42 PM   in reply to Chris Cawley

We do have a habit of doing that in the Lounge Chris.

If you insist on a reality based answer, there is a company that was tring to crowdsource startuip capital to create a touch screen interface on an iPad.

However, as suggested by Joe in post #1, fnger marks on an editing screen would just get in the way. I believe it should be a separate interface, not on the actual screen you are using to see the program.

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2013 7:47 PM   in reply to Steven L. Gotz

Steven L. Gotz wrote:

I don't need the unrealistic CSI stuff, just the control surfaces.

I don't see any technical difficulties with what I want. If the X-Box or Wii can detect my movements, (I forget which - or is it both?) and touch screens are common, why not touch screen control surfaces.

It's not about hardware, it's about the programing within Premiere Pro to respond to a touch screen monitor.

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2013 7:54 PM   in reply to Chris Cawley

Yes. And no.

There is already hardware that can do some of what I want in software. So I have to assume that the interface I want can mimic the existing hardware.

Also, writing programs to control other programs is not all that difficult. Tedious perhaps. I have written programs to control other programs - back in the Windows 3.1 world - but nothing current. I doubt it is that different.

But there is probably a collection of tasks that would need Adobe's cooperation. Since they are designing a new pen and ruler, perhaps the interface could be an Adobe product.

They could hire me to act as a user interface advocate. I am available and I live in the San Francisco Bay area again.

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2013 7:55 PM   in reply to Steven L. Gotz

Steven L. Gotz wrote:

We do have a habit of doing that in the Lounge Chris.

If you insist on a reality based answer, there is a company that was tring to crowdsource startuip capital to create a touch screen interface on an iPad.

However, as suggested by Joe in post #1, fnger marks on an editing screen would just get in the way. I believe it should be a separate interface, not on the actual screen you are using to see the program.

How would they get in the way? Are you talking about only using 1 screen to edit in Premiere? I'm talking about using 4-6 screens. The Program being a plasma TV the Source being a Dell Ultrasharp or something... which you wouldn't put your fingers on... using a touchscreen monitor for your timeline, project folder, and effects is the only thing that I'm saying.

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2013 8:00 PM   in reply to Chris Cawley

OK. I get it. But I would prefer the screen laying almost flat in front of me instead of having to reach out in front of me. My arms would get tired.

If it was a nice large interface (screen) then I might be happy standing up to edit, but I still want it laying flat.

However, as soon as you suggest multiple screens, people with laptops begin to yell "Me too!". (I edit on two monitors and a HDTV.)

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2013 8:03 PM   in reply to Steven L. Gotz

Yeah just build a rig. Production gets expensive customized rigs, post-production should think the same way.

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2013 8:06 PM   in reply to Chris Cawley

There you go!

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2013 8:18 PM   in reply to Chris Cawley

Fortunately, or unfortunately, that is often part of The Video Lounge.

Here, we often rely on "free-form thoughts," and those CAN lead to "thread drift." Still, a lot of interesting material often flows openly.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2013 6:37 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2013 8:37 PM   in reply to Steven L. Gotz

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2013 10:44 PM   in reply to Kevin Monahan

Uh, Kevin? Not to suggest that you should read all of the posts on the forums, but if you look closely, you might notice that the post just before yours linked to a discussion about that topic.

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2013 10:27 PM   in reply to Steven L. Gotz

Don't knock anyone who's spreading the CTRL+Console love! We're a small shop and could use all the help we can get making creativity more intuitive and perhaps change the way we all will use computers!

Thanks Kevin!

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2013 10:30 PM   in reply to Steven L. Gotz

Reading over your 'I have a dream' post Steven, we must have a mind-share, because we're building many of the features you imagined.

When I picture using a touch screen to edit, I picture a big glass plate in front of me at a slight angle, reaching from the front of my desk up to the bottom of my two monitors. So the touch screen would be about 48 inches by 24 inches.

While we're not in the hardware business, we are taking a device many of you already own (an iPad) and turn it into the touchscreen interface for your computer. We even have the infrastructure for multiple devices hooked up to the same computer that we plan to exploit down the road. By separating the interface from your content creation, there's no smudges to deal with and you can keep the ergonomics that we all need so that our wrists don't dissolve into mush from editing day in, day out.

I want a jog wheel and shuttle, I want to be able to gesture against the glass to increase the timeline scale, or decrease it. I would want a large thumbnail of the actual Premiere Pro desktop in the corner so I could tap on the window I wanted to work in

Jog & shuttle = CHECK! And a pinch to zoom on the timeline. Speaking of gestures, we have gestures for jog & shuttle too (and In, Out, Insert, Overwrite and more) so that you can cut a whole sequence without having to look at the interface. Oh and edge swipes that move you from source to program window!

I want to be able to adjust audio using all ten fingers like in a studio and not just one track at a time.

Coming soon after launch!

We just need a new design for the touchscreen to sit on the desk properly and at the correct incline for comfort.

How hard could this be?

Not hard at all. I was using a custom angle case I built, but it turns out the Smart Cover angles the iPad just right for me.

If someone could find enough applications in other fields to make it profitable to build, it could be a hit. If an accountant or stock broker could use such a thing, or teachers. Who knows. It just needs to be enough people so that it could be mass produced at a reasonable price. We just need one touch screen to control the activities on our regular monitors.

Consider this the first salvo in the touchscreen interface that I believe may have a huge part of our computing future. And something that's already mass produced by Apple. We're starting in video, soon after adding Lightroom and an audio fader console and then continuing on as far as it will take us.

But we depend on dreamers and supporters like you to make it happen! You can be notified when we launch by signing up here:

http://goo.gl/BDkoF

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 1, 2013 9:55 AM   in reply to wolverine.ks

I'm a latecomer to this conversation.  Many of you seem to feel you would not like touching Premiere.  It's funny because I actually found this thread searching all over Google, Youtube, and finally these forums to find out if anyone was successfully editing in Premiere Pro on a touchscreen monitor on Windows 8.  I do not have a touch screen and I really don't care to have one, except for specifically when working in Premiere Pro CC

I'm a keyboard freak (as I'm sure most editors are).  If it can be done with a keyboard, I will not touch my mouse.

It's frustrating to do something as tactile as editing video with a mouse.  I currently edit on dual screens, as many of you do.  I have a layout setup that works for 99% perfectly for my workflow, so that I never have to switch workspace layouts.  Mousing from one universe to another is always a great journey that can't always be shortened with a keyboard shortcut.  Just enabling and disabling tracks, or soloing and muting tracks, with ever decreasing target sizes is cumbersome and slows me down:  Target a track with the mouse, return to the keyboard to make a cut (ctrl+K), return to the mouse to turn some tracks back on.  Turn on the Ripple Edit tool with the keyboard, return to the mouse to drag a clip's handles, and on it goes.  If I could perform the functions of the mouse with my fingers on a touch screen, the drawbacks of the back-and-fourth movements of the mouse could be minimized.

I have great hand-to-mouse coordination, but even so, the mouse is not as natural as a stylus.  Yet, I also have issues editing video with my Wacom tablet.  The Intuos 4 and 5 are awesome for drawing, painting or airbrushing in Photoshop or After Effects.  But these devices are too often too sensitive and click before I intended to, or pick something up to drag it when I didn't mean to.  Also, the way they map to the screen, being different than a mouse (and that's good) makes muscle memory difficult to retain from mouse to wacom tablet and back again.  Finally, keeping hold of the pen is not the best position for typing keyboard commands.  So that's a slow down, too.

For me, the editing experience is a tactile one.  A process which would ideally involve my arms, hands and fingers—much like the days of editing on a Moviola.

If you've ever tried editing in iMovie (I think) on the iPad it's a hopefull experience.  Garage Band, too.  But 10" inches is far too small to be useful to me when editing in Premiere (not speaking of control surfaces, but rather editing on a touch screen).

So the question I'm trying to solve is whether Premiere Pro CC, running on Windows 8 with a 5- or 10-point touchscreen (ideally 27" at 2560 x 1440 or better, though I understand that no capacitive touch screens exist, yet, in that size/resolution combination) works.  Or does an application (i.e. Premiere) need to be touch-enabled for it to respond to anything in the Windows 8 touch environment?  In other words, if I was running Windows 8 with something like a DELL S2340T, which lays at any angle you choose (almost flat is perfect for editing, in my mind), would I be able to work inside Premiere Pro CC using touch?  Or is there something Adobe has to do to make it possible?

Speaking of Intuous, the Cintiq HD monitor/tablets should make this possible for even Windows 7.  Why isn't it possible to "touch" Premiere, right now?  Is there something I'm missing?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 26, 2013 10:05 AM   in reply to Chris Cawley

THe issue is that you and one person in Alaska have this specific set up. Adobe is not going to spend 500 000 bucks in r&d for you and your Alaskan friend. 99 percent of desktop users have 1-2 monitor, 1 keyboard, 1 mouse. You are going to have to wait till you are not a minority. Also, I'm from the future. Surface tablets flopped, also google glass is now available in contact lens form.

im not trying to be insulting, as I'd like to see the same thing you are looking to see, but if adobe is doing anything touch... It will not be on the osx or windows platform as of yet I assume.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Incoming Links

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points