Skip navigation
dogdayz
Currently Being Moderated

Installing 7.0 - "won't open install file....not being supported any longer"

Dec 6, 2010 2:13 PM

Purchased the Pagemaker 7.0 and just tried to install and this came up......."You can't open the application Install Adobe® PageMaker® 7.0 because the Classic environment is no longer supported."  Can anyone help me with why this is happening and how to correct?

Thanks for your advice. 

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 6, 2010 2:21 PM   in reply to dogdayz

Forget it. You cannot install PM 7 on an Intel Mac or on Leopard/Snow Leopard.

Time to move to InDesign: http://amzn.to/hrwJOU

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 6, 2010 2:45 PM   in reply to dogdayz

Most people who buy PageMaker do so because they already know how to use the program. If this is why you bought it, InDesign will be fairly familiar to you. If you haven't used PageMaker before, I would also advise you to avoid it because it is old and no longer supported. If you really want to use it on a Mac, you should buy an older Mac like a G3 or G4 that will boot into OS9 and forget about using the Classic Mode of OSX. There used to be a sticky thread on the PageMaker forum where all sorts of problems were reported using classic with PM.

Depending on where you bought your software, there may be a way to get a refund, or at least a trade-in to get InDesign instead. If you are stuck with it, you can use your PageMaker serial number to get an upgrade price to InDesign (like in Bob's link), and hopefully the cost of PM and ID won't be more than if you just bought ID to begin with (and that's only if you can't get your money back for PM).

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 6, 2010 6:02 PM   in reply to dogdayz

And then there is always the question on why does Adobe keep on selling a pro

duct that, by their own

news, has been officially dead for years...

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 6, 2010 8:35 PM   in reply to Claudio González

I imagine a conversation between the programmers and the sales staff:

P: I see we still sell PageMaker.

SS: Yes, we sell one now and then.

P: Why? The software is out of date!

SS: Yeah, but people give us money for it.

P: But don't those same people call to complain when they find they can't run it on their new computers?

SS: That's customer service's problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 31, 2012 5:37 AM   in reply to dogdayz

I use InDesign CS3 on a MacPro (intel), with Snow Leopard. It can recognise my old PM6 files but not earlier Pagemaker files.

I can't convert the older files to PM6 because PM6 only works "on a Classic environment".  I just tried to download PM7, hoping I could use that.  But PM7 won't work on my Mac either.

Is there ANY way I can open older-than-version-6 Pagemaker files?  Or are they lost forever?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 31, 2012 5:42 AM   in reply to Why_me?

InDesign can only open PM6 and later files. Unless you can find someone still running PM 6, 6.5, or 7 you won’t be able to open them.

Worth noting, too, is that PM could only open files of the same version if you were going crossplatform. So someone running PM7 on Windows will not be able to open them.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 31, 2012 1:48 PM   in reply to Bob Levine

Thanks Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 31, 2012 2:04 PM   in reply to Bob Levine

Worth noting, too, is that PM could only open files of the same version if you were going crossplatform. So someone running PM7 on Windows will not be able to open them. 

The link is the converter to go cross-platform for the pagemaker file:-

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=39

never used it hence can't say how reliable and good it is.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points