Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Flickr publish fails: "invalid at the top level of the document"

Mar 30, 2012 2:08 AM

Title says it all really - 3.6 was fine, I didn't try publishing between buying 4.0 and trying 4.1b, and now I can't update my photostream on Flickr. LR appears to hang for a minute, then tells me "can't update this collection. An internal error has occurred: Invalid at the top level of the document"

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 30, 2012 2:38 AM   in reply to cdeverett

Yep.  Same error here.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 30, 2012 3:34 AM   in reply to cdeverett

I also have the same problem. V 4.1rc.

Publish error.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 30, 2012 7:44 AM   in reply to DdeGannes

I'm getting a different error.

An internal error has occurred: Error Domain=NSXMLParserErrorDomain Code=4 "Line 1: Document is empty

" UserInfo=0x1426b1800 {NSLocalizedDescription=Line 1: Document is empty

}

The problem only occurs with the Flckr Publish Service that ships with LR4.1RC (it was not present for me in LR4.0)  The error does not express itself when using Jeffrey Freidl's Flickr Plugin.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 30, 2012 10:14 AM   in reply to cdeverett

Same issue here.  At first I was getting the same error as clee01lisme, so I assume we're both on a Mac.  For some odd reason I started getting a different error when trying to publish a bit later:

An internal error has occurred: Error Domain=NSXMLParserErrorDomain Code=23 "Line 21: EntityRef: expecting ';'

" UserInfo=0x111052e00 {NSLocalizedDescription=Line 21: EntityRef: expecting ';'

}

Seems to me some settings xml file is corrupt.  If someone could at least point us to the right one, perhaps it could be manually fixed?

I was pretty eager to get some photos up on Flickr, so I downgraded back to 4.0.  Now, I get a permissions error when I attempt to publish, and the plugin settings page doesn't give me an option to log out (even though I deauthorized Lightroom in Flickr, attempting to reset everything when I first got the permissions error).

All in all, everything's completely hosed for me now with Flickr publishing. 

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 30, 2012 10:26 AM   in reply to cdeverett

Same issue here. I was using 4.0 with no problems uploading to flickr on a Mac. As soon as I uploaded to 4.1 it started giving me the eror as well. I use it daily, so it's quite frustrating.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 30, 2012 10:45 AM   in reply to tharn

This is a known bug that we fixed internally. Some background: Flickr annouced that they will deprecate the old user authentication API in July. This particular LR 4.1RC has updated the Flickr plug-in to use their authentication API of the future. However, the old user authentication token (incompatible with the new one) is still cached on in the old Flickr publish service created in the earlier version of LR.

The current workaround is to create a new Flickr publish service in LR4.1RC and use that instead of the one created earlier.

-Simon

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 30, 2012 11:03 AM   in reply to simonsaith

Thanks Simon.  Good to know it's already been fixed.

And thanks for the workaround.  However, I'd really rather not clutter up my library with another publishing service that I'll have to maintain indefinitely (if I want to maintain the two way linkage to Flickr).  And moving all my already published photos to to a new service would mean breaking the linkage and republishing hundreds of photos.

Any tips on how I can restore the functionality in the non-RC 4.0?  At appears the Flickr authentication was broken, and I can't seem to find any way to reauthenticate in 4.0.  I'm afraid I made things even worse by deleting the Lightroom permissions in Flickr, in an attempt to reset everything and trigger the prompt to authenticate.

Thanks again.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 30, 2012 11:34 AM   in reply to cdeverett

I agree, setting up another publish service is going to just mess things all up. I like Lightroom because I can keep things organized. That's not going to work if I have to create another one. How do I revert back to 4.0 and get things working the way they were previously?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 30, 2012 11:46 AM   in reply to cdeverett

This is crazy! I have a few photos I need to republish after making some tweeks. I can't republish shots using the original Flickr service from 4.0 or earlier because of this so-called "fix" in 4.1RC. If I create a new Flickr publishing service, it'll work fine for new photos going to Flickr, but doesn't help me republish my old photos. If I publish those old photos via the new service, I'll end up with 2 copies (albeit, slightly different) of the image on Flickr. This is madness!!!!!

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 30, 2012 6:25 PM   in reply to cdeverett

I removed V 4.1rc and re-installed V 4. and publish to Flickr works as expected. Will await the final release of V 4.1.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 30, 2012 7:16 PM   in reply to cdeverett

I removed 4.1rc and re-installed 4.0 but the Flickr publish is not working. I'm on a Mac. This really needs to be fixed.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 31, 2012 9:29 AM   in reply to cdeverett

Slightly off topic, but I just tried to update V4, and it tells me it's up to date. Where can I get a new update from and does it fix performance issues?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 31, 2012 3:16 PM   in reply to howmanypigginnamesdoitry

You can get the new update to LR 4.1RC from

labs.adobe.com

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 31, 2012 3:15 PM   in reply to cdeverett

I enountered the problem of not being able to upload to Flickr after installing LR4.1RC and the message "can't update this collection. An internal error has occurred: Invalid at the top level of the document".

I found a workaround that solved my problem.  (Your mileage may vary.)

I shutdown LR4.1RC and then replaced Flickr.lrplugin in C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4\ with the Flickr.lrplugin from LR3.6.

When I restarted LR4.1RC and attempted to publish to Flickr, the plugin reported an authorization error. I right-clicked on the Flickr publish service and chose Edit Settings...

Under the Flickr account section, I saw that I needed to log-in again. I pushed the Log In button and reauthorized my Lightroom Publish Connection.

After that, I was able to publish without a problem to Flickr using the LR3.6 Flickr plugin.

I'm happy

GeorgeOfTheGorge

http://www.flickr.com/photos/georgeinthegorge/

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 31, 2012 4:04 PM   in reply to cdeverett

Note, after installing the 3.6 Flickr plugin, I too got the authenication error when trying to publish and was not offered the chance to log in again.

At that point, I right-clicked on the Publish service for Flickr and selected Edit Settings... In that dialog, I had a Log In button that was enabled. Once I pressed that button, the plug-in went through the authenication process. After that, publish worked and has continued to work for me (your mileage may vary).

Earlier, I had expreimented with many other ideas for getting the 4.1RC Flickr plug-in to work before trying the 3.6 plug-in.  In that process I verified that I could create the error message "invalid at the top level of the document" using the 4.1RC Flickr plug-in by (1) creating a new Flickr publish service, (2) testing that the new service worked by uploading from it, (3) deauthorizing Lightroom on the Flickr website, (4) attempting to publish again from the new Flickr publish service. At that point the publish failed with the message ""invalid at the top level of the document".

My guess is that this problem revolves around the handling of the authorization token. I note that the LR4.1RC Flickr plugin is about 5KB larger than the LR3.6 Flickr plugin on my system. This suggests that there are coding differences between the plugins.

I should point out that I was careful not to delete my original Flickr publish service. I noticed that creating a new service and publishing previously published images to Flickr allowed duplicate images to be loaded into my Flickr photostream. These duplicate images did not have comments and appeared as new additions to my stream. If you value your view counts, comments and favorites, be very careful and don't make changes you don't understand. Operations such as removing and republishing images to Flickr might lead to the loss of this information.

Message was edited by: gpiii

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 31, 2012 3:55 PM   in reply to cdeverett

George,

Thanks a bunch for the tip....

Works perfectly on my iMac. 

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 31, 2012 4:06 PM   in reply to PRR_Cabin

Thanks, it feels good to be able to help someone else and return the favor that many have provided me through these forums.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 31, 2012 11:54 PM   in reply to cdeverett

I also tried the 3.6 Flickr plugin, but getting an authentication error message. The "login" button on the publish settings is disabled. So I'm still stuck and have images that are waiting to be "republished", with no way of publishing them....

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 1, 2012 11:05 AM   in reply to DangermanUK

I have the same issue as DangermanUK... even if I downgrade, my login button on the publish settings page is disabled (so I don't have any way to reauthenticate), and I get a permissions error when I try to publish. 

I caved and just created a new publish service, which works fine.  Just a bummer I'll forever have to maintain a "4.1 RC" publish service, unless I want to delete and publish them all again.  And still no way to republish old photos...

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 1, 2012 11:48 AM   in reply to MrSincere

This is not a recommendation, but out of curiosity, did you go to the Flickr site and remove permissions for Lightroom from the "Apps you're using" tab of the "Apps Garden"?

FYI, it is likely that I removed premissions for Adobe Lightroom before I downgraded the plugin to version 3.6. I'm not suggesting that you do this.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 1, 2012 2:40 PM   in reply to gpiii

Thanks for the tip gpiii, but that was actually one of the first things I tried when I saw the login button was disabled.  It didn't make a difference in my ability to login again, as I'd hoped it would.  LR still thought it was logged in, no matter what I did.  Thanks though.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 2, 2012 10:42 AM   in reply to MrSincere

Same here. I uninstalled 4.1RC and reinstalled 4. The Logon button on the Flickr publishing service is still disabled, so I'm totally fed-up now!! I can't update any of my photos which are already published on Flickr. I sincerely hope Adobe sort this mess out....and soon!

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 4, 2012 2:31 AM   in reply to simonsaith

simonsaith wrote:

This is a known bug that we fixed internally. Some background: Flickr annouced that they will deprecate the old user authentication API in July. This particular LR 4.1RC has updated the Flickr plug-in to use their authentication API of the future. However, the old user authentication token (incompatible with the new one) is still cached on in the old Flickr publish service created in the earlier version of LR.

The current workaround is to create a new Flickr publish service in LR4.1RC and use that instead of the one created earlier.

The work-around is, as folk have said, a real kludge - messy and difficult to adminster.  And, presumably, once done, you have to live with it forever, as  re-integrating to a single Flickr collection without loosing comments will be impossible.

@Simon: Are you saying that the Final Release will correct this bug, by updating the old user authentication token suring the update process?  (In which case, waiting for the Final is the sensible thing to do.)

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 4, 2012 4:37 PM   in reply to cdeverett

Flickr LR4.1RC

This worked for me replace the Fickr plugin with the LR4.0 plugin

Right click on Flickr in LR4.1RC a dialogue box pops up with setting .. click on SAVE and exit

upload to flickr will now work

Windows 7 64 bit here

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 4, 2012 7:07 PM   in reply to simonsaith

So I created a new publish service for Flickr and it worked fine for a few days. It just stopped working when I updated some keywords on a photo I published earlier today. It gave me the error message that was stated in the original post. Looks like your workaround is also busted.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 7, 2012 1:47 PM   in reply to cdeverett

Mine is working correctly in 4.1 RC.  I can publish and republish without error.

I have to admit that I did so many things I'm not sure what fixed it.

But I have it working correctly on both my iMac and MBP.

Here is what I think I did:

Replace the 4.1 RC Flickr.lrplugin with 3.6

Chose a backup lrcat before the 4.1 RC install

Deauthorized LR on Flickr

Published a photo which gave me a login error

Went to the Flickr Publishing Manager and logged back in

VIOLA

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2012 10:50 PM   in reply to John Boyzo

Can you elaborate?  I did the same but it still fails.  I copied the Flickr.lrplugin from a Lightroom 4.0 backup, overwrite the 4.1RC1 version, lightroom then asked me for a Flickr API key which I generated and configured, but I still cannot publish.  Did restart Lightroom.

|
    Mark as:
    May 30, 2012 5:14 AM   in reply to tharn

Yeah, me too.  Broken in 4.1 final.  This after it took all day yesterday to re-upload after I blew away the old publish connection and made a new one.  I am dismayed.

|
    Mark as:
    May 30, 2012 5:48 AM   in reply to 5tonsflax

Not sure if relevant, but anyone reading this thread will be interested in Flickr publishing so you may also be interested in this thread ..

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4450186#4450186

In summary, it appears that one of the RC's introduced a bug where if a CR / LF is present in the caption the LR reports it cannot connect and suggests you check your connection or it reports a problem with the "top level document".  A problem report was raised on it during the RC trials and if relevant to you then you may wish to add your vote.

The problem report is here ...

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/lightroom_4_1_rc 2_a_cr_or_lf_n_the_middle_of_a_caption_causes_failure_to_connect_to_fl ickr

Just thought you ought to be aware of it.

Alan.

|
    Mark as:
    May 30, 2012 11:21 AM   in reply to PRR_Cabin

After reading this updateed thread, I D/l'd and installed LR4.1.  I embedded a CR/LF in to a caption and republished, I did not have any problem. This was on a Mac, so maybe it inserts LineFeeds differently from Windows/DOS

|
    Mark as:
    May 31, 2012 6:49 AM   in reply to cdeverett

This worked for me and it was quite simple.

After I got the error I went to plug-in manager and saw the status for the Flickr plug-in as "enabled, may not work."

I disabled the plug-in. I closed the window and then reopened plug-in manager and enabled the plug-in.

Next I went to Publishing Manager (The + sign next to Publish Services in the right column) and went to my Flickr service.

I authorized the account again, getting Flickr's new API key.

Viola, it works. I was given to option to republish all, which you can choose to do or not. I chose not.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points