Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Creating books

Mar 11, 2012 12:28 PM

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 11, 2012 12:28 PM   in reply to Community Help

I've just hit the "copy layout" in the Book module problem. When you copy layout of a page the image on the page is copied or referenced. When you paste a page from the copied layout the image isn't shown. Go ahead and put your new image in. Now go out of the module and come back. The original, copied, imgage now shows up on all of the pages that were created from the copy. Delete from one of them to replace the image and all the images on all the pages disappear. The multiple images that had been dragged onto those pages are still marked as being used.

When does ver 4.1 come out?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 31, 2012 2:31 PM   in reply to Community Help

I’m creating my first Blurb book inside of Lightroom 4. There are some 175 images in my collection/filmstrip.  I was about 80% complete with the book, when I selected an image to go into the Development Module for adjustments.  When done I returned to the Book Module. But the book was gone! The filmstrip at the bottom of the page is there indicating images are in the book, but the book itself is empty with only a cover and two blank pages.  If I add an already “used” image, the filmstrip counter goes from 1 to 2.

Trying to fix this problem, I backed up and optimized my catalog. But upon restarting Lightroom no change… and no book!

Any suggestions as how to get my book back? Or do I have to start over!

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 31, 2012 4:53 PM   in reply to dadod

I too just lost books - lost two books after several weeks of working and I just announcement yesterday that one of the books would be available next week via Blurb.

I was typing in text from one book to another on the book jacket flaps. Went back to my first book and it was reset to the default template - NO BOOK! I switched over to the second book and the same thing. NO BOOK - just a default blank cover and a blank page... yes all my images are still in the film strip. Yes my books are listed under collections. Yes I saw undo and red steps though the layout only showed the default template as if it was a new book using LR's default for starts.

This is more than a serious bug, Adobe and Blurb. This eliminates my trust in LR4 as a professional tool for book making. This need to be made public before others buy the program and use the book module for professional projects.

Now I have to recreate these books using InDesign which has been flawless with my last couple books with Blurb. So disappointed. IF ANYONE HAS HEARD OF A WAY TO RESTORE A BOOK after it has disappeared... please tell me? Please?

OS10.6.8 Quad Core Mac Pro 14GB RAM LR4 (not beta)

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 20, 2012 10:08 PM   in reply to dadod

me too, not only me.

gone / lost / missing

my work. but how backup? this workformat?

PDF is just output data not can modify book layout in lightroom.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 23, 2012 3:53 PM   in reply to Community Help

I inadvertently hit "Create Saved Book".  Now I can't continue to use quick collections to gather and finish the book.  Is there any way that I can reverse this error or do I need to start al over again?  I'm about 52 pages int a 100 page book and I am not looking forward to rebuilding al those pages.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2012 4:58 PM   in reply to JakeM33

I'm getting ready to begin my first book in the new Book Module and am concerned about the problems stated above. Some of these posts are nearly two months old, but I haven't seen a useful reply from the folks at Adobe. Can we have some help in avoiding these issues? Thanks

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2012 6:23 PM   in reply to weston10

I wholeheartedly agree.  I'm having a number of challenges with the book module.  Third party instruction books are as yet not available and there have been any number of problems I have encountered in trying to get a book through the system.  When no response was forthcoming I called Blurb direct.  They just referred me back to Adobe!

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2012 6:30 PM   in reply to Tom Angell

Tom Angell wrote:

Third party instruction books are as yet not available and there have been any number of problems I have encountered in trying to get a book through the system.

Well, there is good reason for that ... we are currently working with Lr 4.1 RC 2 ... as long as we are working with a Release Candidate, there is nothing to write down in a book as everything is subject to change ... it would be a disservice to those that would purchase the resulting books, if the information would turn out to be grossly incorrect due to changes in the final release ...

Best thing to do until Lr 4.1 is deemed as final release, is to hold off on anything that is a major project ... and tread lightly with any projects in the interim ...

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2012 6:43 PM   in reply to Butch_M

What happened to the vetting process?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2012 6:53 PM   in reply to Butch_M

I had no idea that this was not a fully vetted version.  I only purchased it after it was advertised as such.  I am an ardent fan of Lightroom 3 and  am somewhat miffed if this new release was let out without proper warning that it was only a "Release Candidate".  I have put a lot of time into trying to complete a 100 page photo album only to have it twice disappear after 70 or so pages.  BTW, I just received notice from Amazon that my order for Kelby's new LR4 book will be shipped on May 14th.

|
    Mark as:
    May 1, 2012 9:17 AM   in reply to Tom Angell

Me too,Tom. My experience with Adobe has always been good and I would not expect them to release a product that was not fully ready.

I pre-ordered Scott's book some time ago and am looking forward to receiving it, however, having the book at hand will not resolve this issue. Hoping for LR 4.1 soon and that it will be a cure for this natty problem.

BTW, LR4 did seem to be made available awfully soon after the Beta was released. Maybe they were in such a hurry for production, they just didn't give it enough time.

|
    Mark as:
    May 1, 2012 10:20 AM   in reply to weston10

When Butch wrote that the version we had was not a full release I went to my "about Lightroom" and checked mine.  It said it was version 1.0 and there was no mention of  any other number or caveat.  As a consequence I'm not sure he was correct.  We can only hope that Lightroom is monitoring this Forum and will chime in on our experiences.

Tom  Angell

Re: Creating books

created by weston10 in Photoshop Lightroom - View the full discussion

Me too,Tom. My experience with Adobe has always been good and I would not expect them to release a product that was not fully ready.

I pre-ordered Scott's book some time ago and am looking forward to receiving it, however, having the book at hand will not resolve this issue. Hoping for LR 4.1 soon and that it will be a cure for this natty problem.

BTW, LR4 did seem to be made available awfully soon after the Beta was released. Maybe they were in such a hurry for production, they just didn't give it enough time.

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: Re:  Creating books

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at Re:  Creating books. In the Actions box on the right, click the Stop Email Notifications link.

Start a new discussion in Photoshop Lightroom by email or at Adobe Forums

For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to http://forums.adobe.com/message/2936746#2936746.

|
    Mark as:
    May 1, 2012 10:33 AM   in reply to Tom Angell

There were a great many users having problems and difficulties with Lr v4.0. This after over 300,000 users participated in the public beta of Lr 4. Since then Adobe has released two different RC (Release Candidates) from Adobe Labs to address those issues, Lr v4.1 RC1 and Lr v4.1 RC2 respectively ... these RC versions have added fixes, supported new cameras and even added at least two new features as well. Specically color fringe correction controls in the Lens Correction tab and jpeg export in the Book module. Thus, the final release of Lr v4.1 may be considerably different than 4.0 in a few respects.

http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2012/03/lightroom-4-1-now-avai lable-on-adobe-labs.html

http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2012/04/new-color-fringe-corre ction-controls.html

http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2012/04/lightroom-4-1-rc2-now- available-on-adobe-labs.html

|
    Mark as:
    May 1, 2012 10:46 AM   in reply to Butch_M

Thank you for this clarification.  I was unaware of it.  It confirms that the problem I had was not just me accidentally  hitting a key in error and lets me know that Adobe is aware of it and doing something about it.  I only wish that they had sent out some type of form letter letting all those who had already purchased the product know the above so that we hadn't wasted days reconstructing books only to have them disappear once again.

|
    Mark as:
    May 1, 2012 10:46 AM   in reply to Butch_M

Is it available? I have not been prompted to update.

|
    Mark as:
    May 1, 2012 10:47 AM   in reply to Butch_M

Oh! And does the update solve the Book Module problems?

|
    Mark as:
    May 1, 2012 10:49 AM   in reply to weston10

I just tried to install the new version and it failed twice!  I have no idea what to do now.

Tom A

|
    Mark as:
    May 1, 2012 10:51 AM   in reply to Tom Angell

Yes, we can hope they are monitoring our comments and experiences.

I believe they would not want their loyal fans to be unhappy with this new release/module.

|
    Mark as:
    May 1, 2012 10:59 AM   in reply to weston10

weston10 wrote:

Is it available? I have not been prompted to update.

http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/lightroom4-1.html

|
    Mark as:
    May 1, 2012 11:06 AM   in reply to Butch_M

Thanks to everyone for the helpful information.

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2012 4:47 PM   in reply to dadod

The same thing just happened to me – just finishing up a book and suddenly, nothing but a blank cover followed by two blank pages. Then I checked on the other books I've made, and they are all gone as well – blank cover and two blank pages. Filmstrip intact along the bottoms of the pages. Am I missing something?

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2012 5:40 PM   in reply to Alison Shaw Photography

The only advise that I can give is to go to the Adobe page and upgrade Lightroom software to version 4.1RC.  That stands for "Release Candidate".  In the little blurb attached they imply that it may have corrected that problem but needs a bit more testing before its official release.  As far as getting your book back you should look into the Apple  history thingie (this of course assumes you are using an Apple), go back a few days and see if you can pick it up there.  Others have said this works.  I haven't tried it as I was more comfortable just recreating the book I was working on from scratch.  As for your other missing books I have no separate suggestion though you might want to check the left hand column and see if they didn't end up over there under the collection of images you were working from.  I know from personal experience how frustrating this is.  Please know that I feel your pain.

Tom Angell

|
    Mark as:
    May 23, 2012 12:39 AM   in reply to Tom Angell

Tom Angell wrote:

I inadvertently hit "Create Saved Book".  Now I can't continue to use quick collections to gather and finish the book.  Is there any way that I can reverse this error or do I need to start al over again?  I'm about 52 pages int a 100 page book and I am not looking forward to rebuilding al those pages.

You'd need to go back to Library to do this, dragging additional images into the book collection. One idea is to set the book as the Target Collection (via right click) which allows you to hit B to add images to it.

Each book should be explicitly saved with Create Saved Book.

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2012 5:53 AM   in reply to Tom Angell

Thank you, Tom. Spent two hours yesterday on the phone with Adobe tech support. And yes,  we were able to go back to the last time I'd backed up my Lightroom catalog, which restored my missing books. He agreed with your suggestion of going to LR 4.1. In addition to problems with disappearing books, I am having major problems with synchronizing folders in order to import new images which have been added to those folders – the tech guy felt like LR 4.1 would likely solve both problems.

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2012 8:27 AM   in reply to Alison Shaw Photography

So happy to hear things went well.  I'm a bit perplexed that they don't let folks know that this problem exists.  We aren't the first to discover and report the problem!  BTW, I've been told that the complete name for the new version is LR 4.1RC.  The RC stands for 'release candidate  (i.e., not yet fully vetted ergo not as yet a true new version).  In any event it does seem to work correctly for me since I installed it.

Tom Angell

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2012 11:12 AM   in reply to Tom Angell

Unfortunately, upgrading to LR 4.1 RC has solved neither my disappearing-Blurb-book problem or my synchronization problems. I've lost two more book attempts since upgrading to LR 4.1 RC. At least at this point I know how to recover my books by going to a saved version of my Lightroom catalog – small consolation, though!

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2012 1:23 PM   in reply to Alison Shaw Photography

Sorry to hear the problems persist, especially after installing their newer version.  You can always just make a collection, move it over to the Blurb site and finish the book there.  Their program is very similar but it certainly isn't as clean as creating and publishing the book from inside of Lightroom.  I wish I had some other, better advise for you.  I can vouch for the finished quality of books made by Blurb, they're great. Courage!

Tom Angell

|
    Mark as:
    May 28, 2012 2:23 PM   in reply to Community Help

Oh, man. I had hoped that I had just hit a wrong key...just as all the rest of you, but now it sounds like we are all in the same boat...spent hours creating a book only to lose it because the program is faulty. I found this forum when I searched on the topic of how to "create saved book" since my LR4 isn't showing it at the top. Yes, it's true, I just went through the entire process of creating the entire book again that was lost. This is a very special book as my dear friend's 50th wedding anniversary is fast approaching and I am re-creating her diary from the first year they dated (back in the 1950's) and am using photos from that time as well. I hate to think that my current work in LR4 is going to lost as well. I really think that the Adobe folks should have alerted people using LR4 that the book module does not work correctly...especially since we all now have the final version (or so it's supposed to be). I also think that the folks who have made the online training videos (Julianne Kost for Adobe and Matt Kloskowski from Kelby Training) should put a warning at the beginning of their videos that this problem exists. I am very, very disappointed in Adobe.

|
    Mark as:
    May 28, 2012 5:51 PM   in reply to beva7

This is a recurring problem that has not ben entirely solved.  Moreover, you are right, Adobe has not reported it to their customer base.  They have brought out a revision called LR4.1RC.  Rc stands for release candidate meaning it needs more testing before it will be officially released.  I thought it solved this problem but I recently lost yet another book using it.  You can recover your book by using the history app on the Mac.  If you are not using a Mac I have no idea what you can do.  It is a real pain in the *** and I am going back to exporting my images to Blurb and finishing in their app till this problem gets truly resolved.

Tom Angell

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 8, 2012 3:05 AM   in reply to Community Help

The instructions say <<< In the Background panel, select the Background Color option and click the color swatch to choose the color. >>> But I can't seem to find any way of changing the background colour from the default, white. (I want it black!)

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 25, 2013 10:17 AM   in reply to Community Help

How do I flip an image in the opposite direction to get a mirror image.  In this case from right to left?

thanks, Judy

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 25, 2013 11:08 AM   in reply to jbb875

Judy, see my reply in your other thread.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points