Skip navigation
Melissa Retter
Currently Being Moderated

Viewing channels in spectrographic display

Mar 27, 2012 4:08 PM

Tags: #spectrogram_view #switching_channels

Hello all,

I'm a long-time user of AA 3 and am getting comfy with CS5.5.  I work with spectrogams a lot, in the sense I often use AA as a means to view spectrograms to compare them visually. I am wondering if there is a way I can view a single channel of a stereo file in AA without having to convert the file to mono as the only method to view one channel at a time to ease analysis of multiple cuts side-by-side.  In other spectrographic analyzers I use, it is possible to click on and off a channel at will depending on which one I want to view without having to actually split them or delete one of them, but of course in these other programs I am unable to edit such in the way I can in AA.  Hopping non-Adobe platforms in the analyzing/editing process is a bit cumbersome.  If there's a way to switch channels on and off in this new version of AA, I'd love to know where I can find that!

Thank you for any help.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 30, 2012 7:12 PM   in reply to Melissa Retter

I don't think you can view a single channel only in Spectral Frequency Analysis, but to edit L or R channel only, go to Edit > Edit Channels (that's the name in AA3, might be different with CS5), select L or R. You have to reverse the steps to go back to two-channel editing.

|
    Mark as:
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,593 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Mar 31, 2012 4:30 AM   in reply to Tom Macomber

Tom Macomber wrote:

I don't think you can view a single channel only in Spectral Frequency Analysis, but to edit L or R channel only, go to Edit > Edit Channels (that's the name in AA3, might be different with CS5), select L or R. You have to reverse the steps to go back to two-channel editing.

Or just click on the appropriate part of the screen (either L or R side) to highlight it, or back in the middle to restore it. You don't need a menu...

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 31, 2012 9:06 AM   in reply to SteveG(AudioMasters)

Or ctrl + shft + L or R - there's always another way it seems! But I'm not sure we're if this is what the OP is asking.

|
    Mark as:
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,593 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Mar 31, 2012 12:42 PM   in reply to Tom Macomber

Tom Macomber wrote:

But I'm not sure we're if this is what the OP is asking.

Strictly speaking, it isn't. This highlights a single channel, and lets you edit a single channel (within temporal constraints), but doesn't make the other channel go away, which you simply can't do - and I certainly wouldn't want this available as a facility, quite frankly, as it could lead to massive confusion about what you were doing. The 'convert channels to mono files' option is, unfortunately, the only realistic way to handle this.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points