Skip navigation
This discussion is locked

Experiencing performance related issues in Lightroom 4.x

Aug 6, 2012 3:58 PM

Latest reply: Victoria Bampton, Dec 18, 2012 11:37 AM
Replies 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 43 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 28, 2012 2:02 PM   in reply to gadgetgeek

Not sure if this is slightly off topic but I've just checked my preferences file having followed most of the suggestions above and I went to check the location of the Camera RAW cache which I'd set up to go to a location on a different drive to program and photos. Nothing has been written to the cache since I installed the trial on the 17th of March.

I'm working with .dng and .jpg files at the moment and have been since I installed LR4.

My question - has anyone else checked if the LR cache is being written to?

Message was edited by: paul-w

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 28, 2012 2:40 PM   in reply to paul-w

paul-w wrote:

My question - has anyone else checked if the LR cache is being written to?

Yes, I have....and it is. Although much smaller entries compared with LR2 cache entries. If you are using DNG are you also using the new Fast Load Data feature, as that will have an impact on the ACR cache.

Some discussion about the ACR cache wrt LR4 in this thread: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4284553#4284553

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 28, 2012 3:23 PM   in reply to Jim Wilde

Had a read of that Jim thanks very much.

Just created 140 1:1 previews of 7.5Mb .dng files and still the LR cache I created isn't being written to, not even an index.dat file.

From my reading of the other thread I should have seen some change even if I'm using the Fast Load Data feature, shouldn't I?

Still off to bed now I'll have another look in the morning.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 29, 2012 8:47 AM   in reply to BCormier

LR4 is un-beleivably slow on my system, which is very robust (mac pro, dual 3ghz 9 gigs ram). LR3 ran perfectly, just made the upgrade and it looks like I will be going back until they address these perfomance issues. At this point the new version is un-usable for me. Too bad

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 29, 2012 9:11 AM   in reply to BCormier

Same here, the library module is fine.  But develop is very slow, it's driving me crazy.  I'm using a raid and a ssd, I wish there was an upgrade I could do to speed things up but I don't really know what I could do.  As a working pro, this is really slowing down my workflow.  I really hope they fix speed problems soon. 

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 29, 2012 9:19 AM   in reply to rsmith4321

rsmith4321, what operating system are you running? I just realized that I am not on Lion which could be part of the deal.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 29, 2012 9:26 AM   in reply to sgratz

For the record, I'm using OSX 10.6.8 and it is pretty slow on my machine too. Dual 2.26 GHz, 8-cores, 16 GB RAM, 240 GB SSD, etc.

Lou

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 29, 2012 11:10 AM   in reply to Lou Dina

I´ve Know a couple that shoot Weddings and they just bought a brand new

Lenovo i7 2nd Generation, SSD 250gb, 16gb ram, 2gb Nvidia, and lags a lot!

They are moving back to Lr3 until they solve this problem!

Marcelo Trad

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 29, 2012 1:00 PM   in reply to BCormier

LR4.1 RC

http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/lightroom4-1.html

Library <> Develop : seems faster

Working with 2 monitors: seems useable, not as slow as LR4

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 29, 2012 1:54 PM   in reply to BCormier

Much better now.

With D700 and D90 RAWs almost perfect and some lags while adjusting D70 ones.

CPU usage seems to be lower - 75-80% max. so it's much better than 99-100% :-).

Ok, time for testing!

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 29, 2012 2:21 PM   in reply to BCormier

There is a test version available which addresses the slowness issues. Go to http://forums.adobe.com/message/4300818

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 29, 2012 2:53 PM   in reply to LR_Mowang

Lr4.1 RC did improve some performance expecialy on develop module.

I still have some lags and slow performance when advancing

pictures...Compared to Lr3.6 and it is slower!

Work Work Work Adobe!!! we need even faster.

Marcelo Trad

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 29, 2012 2:55 PM   in reply to MarceloTrad

I am seeing a significant improvement using 4.1 dev slider response on a macbook pro 4GB.  THANKS.

Rory

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 29, 2012 4:04 PM   in reply to TR3znor

Thanks for the RC link, I'm going to try that now.  Hopefully it will help.  By the way I have a Core i5 3gz, 8gb ram, 128gb ssd, 4tb raid 0 made from 4 1tb drives, Windows 7x64.  I don't really know what I could upgrade to help, I'm going to up the ram to 12gb but I don't think that will really help.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 29, 2012 4:05 PM   in reply to hillrg

Much improvement here as well! Excellent!

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 29, 2012 5:26 PM   in reply to BCormier

still a lag when switching over to the develop module for the first time. after the first switch it runs perfect.

That's been that way since v.1 in 2007. No big deal, only have to wait one time

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 29, 2012 5:29 PM   in reply to rsmith4321

By the way I have a Core i5 3gz, 8gb ram, 128gb ssd, 4tb raid 0 made from 4 1tb drives, Windows 7x64.  I don't really know what I could upgrade to help

I'm going to up the ram to 12gb but I don't think that will really help.

a fast i7 (2600k, 8320) would make a much bigger difference

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 29, 2012 7:41 PM   in reply to BCormier

With 4.1, I'm seeing the slider lag still occur when I simultaneously have the filmstrip visible and clarity set to something other than 0.  If I either hide the filmstrip or set clarity to 0 then the lag goes away.   I can readily replicate it (Win 7).  Otherwise, it is much improved.  (Adobe has acknowledeged this problem and said it will be addressed in the official 4.1 drop).

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 29, 2012 10:35 PM   in reply to sparksdjs

Just for what its worth....  My issue with dual monitors and develop module sliders was fixed with LR4.1RC....

|
    Mark as:
    Calculating status...
    Mar 29, 2012 11:02 PM   in reply to joshnl77

Just tried LR4.1RC. No improvement. Not even a slight one.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 30, 2012 12:48 AM   in reply to hillrg

I agree: how can someone know that "the vast majority" of Adobe users are not having this problem? Just because only a fraction of them decided to post about it doesn't mean tha those are the only ones having it.

I upgraded to LR4, and to be honest, I regreat it. The improved Development module doen't justify the lack of responsiveness and slowness I am experiencing. It is a price way to high to have a few improvements. (Meaning, I do value my time and I cannot/don't feel like spending 10x the time to do a similar job in LR4 than I did in LR3)

If I recall correctly, a request made when LR4 was being developed was "Increase the speed of the Develop Module" -both switching to and working in. Well, it almosts feel like a joke when what happened is actually the opposite. I cannot believe that Adobe didn't notice this problem before.

Btw, as it was suggested (and I tried it) working with a second monitor or not will greatly impact on LR4. Who are they programming this for? Professional photographers? Most of us work with 2 monitors.

The specs on my Computer are:

RAM: 12 GB

Video RAM: 1 GB (on video card)

Dedicated Scratch HD

Raid - Only for Photos and Catalog

Dedicated HD To System and software.

All HDs are eSATA

Intel Core i7 at 3.07 GHz

64 Bit Operating System. Windows 7

No, LR4 is not suppose to be slow on a system like that. Photoshop flies, LR3 works good. (Even with 100+MB TIFF file on develop module with the Brush AND 2 monitors)

I am really dissapointed. If this would be a "tangible" good, I would be returning it to the Store.

Just thought of something: So, LR4 was supposed to be a Ferrari, the only problem is that if someone sits on the passanger sit, then it cannot go faster than 80 km/hr

Cheers,

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 30, 2012 10:14 AM   in reply to BCormier

updated to 4.1

(strictly Develop Moduly speaking)

i see quite obvious improvements in slider slug.... on my single monitor  i7 macbookpro, very useable on a daily basis. Great software. Really great. Absolutely love the changes.

However... On my win 7 64 bit quad home machine (my workhorse, my studio, my lifeblood), 12 gigs ram, esata and usb3 external drives, 1 gig video, with dual monitor running in loupe mode, still very painstakingly and frustratingly slow.... redraws and sliders that don't respond for seconds.... but dare I say, more useable than the version I paid 150 bucks for and didn't use. I see a bunch of people saying 4.1 fixed it for them. I'm feeling kinda bummed out. I don't mind a couple millisecond delays... but i'm huffin and puffin at anything over a second, sometimes much more, depending on NR and adjustment brush use. Obviously, I guess,  the more I work on an image to dial it in.... the more and more it starts to lag. I suspect it's just to much computing with dual monitor on.

PS. photoshop cs6 beta RAW 7 is like lightning on both machines. I mean LIGHTNING fast. Now this software is responsive. Not sure if lightroom 4 will ever achieve this speed, but this responsiveness is what I'm after in my workflow.

Dream, think, act, do, done. Move on to next photo.

Hoping for a consistent dual monitor responsiveness in 4.1 official release, but thinking I might have to wait till 4.2 or even 4.3.

Thanks to everyone on this site. Great to read everyone's thoughts about this issue. Thanks for the quick 4.1 adobe.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 30, 2012 10:25 AM   in reply to uphotography

uphotography wrote:

I agree: how can someone know that "the vast majority" of Adobe users are not having this problem? Just because only a fraction of them decided to post about it doesn't mean tha those are the only ones having it.

I upgraded to LR4, and to be honest, I regreat it. The improved Development module doen't justify the lack of responsiveness and slowness I am experiencing. It is a price way to high to have a few improvements. (Meaning, I do value my time and I cannot/don't feel like spending 10x the time to do a similar job in LR4 than I did in LR3)

If I recall correctly, a request made when LR4 was being developed was "Increase the speed of the Develop Module" -both switching to and working in. Well, it almosts feel like a joke when what happened is actually the opposite. I cannot believe that Adobe didn't notice this problem before.

Btw, as it was suggested (and I tried it) working with a second monitor or not will greatly impact on LR4. Who are they programming this for? Professional photographers? Most of us work with 2 monitors.

The specs on my Computer are:

RAM: 12 GB

Video RAM: 1 GB (on video card)

Dedicated Scratch HD

Raid - Only for Photos and Catalog

Dedicated HD To System and software.

All HDs are eSATA

Intel Core i7 at 3.07 GHz

64 Bit Operating System. Windows 7

No, LR4 is not suppose to be slow on a system like that. Photoshop flies, LR3 works good. (Even with 100+MB TIFF file on develop module with the Brush AND 2 monitors)

I am really dissapointed. If this would be a "tangible" good, I would be returning it to the Store.

Just thought of something: So, LR4 was supposed to be a Ferrari, the only problem is that if someone sits on the passanger sit, then it cannot go faster than 80 km/hr

Cheers,

And how do you know that a majority has performance problems?

Really, such comments do not help at all. Adobe works on the problems and the most serious ones have already been fixed in LR 4.1 RC.

Lightroom 4.1 is fast (even faster than 4.0), no slider lags whatsoever. It is not related to machine power and probably more related to the plethora of PC configurations out there in reality, including peripheral stuff such as RAID systems, network drives and so on. Not possible to catch all problems during beta testing. You have to test drive the software before deciding if it works in YOUR production environment.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 30, 2012 10:42 AM   in reply to mizzified

Hi Mizzified,

My understanding is that you still experience the slow sliders problem on your Windows machine while using two monitors - is that right? Have you tried actually turning off the second monitor - not just in LR, but in the graphics card settings? Just wondering, since I'm also still experiencing the slow sliders with my two-monitor setup; but in my case, I don't use LR on both monitors, even though I keep both monitors activated. I haven't tried completely deactivating the other monitor yet to see if it improves the situation, but wondering if you have.

Thanks!

|
    Mark as:
    Calculating status...
    Mar 30, 2012 11:08 AM   in reply to BCormier

Upgraded to LR 4.1RC.  Speed seems to be improved.  Slider responsiveness is very acceptable now.  Switching between modules is a bit slow on the first access but after that very acceptable.  Did have to reboot because I ran in the problem of CS5 blowing up on start after installing LR4.1 RC1.  System in Xeon 3GHz, 8GB ram Win7 Pro.  I'll update other original issues in the appropriate threads.

Overall a pretty good update for a RC1.

Tony...

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 30, 2012 11:52 AM   in reply to joshnl77

regarding my Windows 7 64bit machine.

turning off the 2nd monitor while lightroom is open (by unselecting it in lower left corner of lightroom develop module)  improves my sluggish sliders and redraws.

I never turn my 2nd monitor off in my video card.

Lightroom 4.1 works good enough for me on single monitor... even on my windows machine. Could be quicker at times, but it's workable.

Quick update on my system: I'm useing .cr2 files from a Mark II, very big catalog, NO JPEGS. All raw files.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 31, 2012 8:39 AM   in reply to mizzified

I'm the user from the UK with only two gig of RAM - who never had any trouble with 3.6.

The new 4.1 seems OK once I deleted all the Camera Raw cache (using WE rather than relying on LR's preference menu) and running without the film strip. In my experience the Noise slider was what brought 4.0 to a standstill and now it slides quite smoothly. The effect of the change does not appear until the cursor leaves the slider - but I can live with that until the software team find a fix.

I'm pretty sure that LR4 produces better looking images than 3.6 so I am happy to work with it now - assuming it will get faster as the bugs get stamped on.

The best bit of news is that those of us with only two gigs don't need to rip their system apart to run LR4.

Tony

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 31, 2012 3:07 PM   in reply to BCormier

Lr 4.1 RC

Still something is not right - changing module from library to develop for the first time after starting program loading a picture takes 25 seconds. Same machine with Lr 3.6 only 2-3 seconds. Wierd...

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 31, 2012 3:55 PM   in reply to tgutgu

tgutgu said:

[quote]

And how do you know that a majority has performance problems?

Really, such comments do not help at all. Adobe works on the problems and the most serious ones have already been fixed in LR 4.1 RC.

Lightroom 4.1 is fast (even faster than 4.0), no slider lags whatsoever. It is not related to machine power and probably more related to the plethora of PC configurations out there in reality, including peripheral stuff such as RAID systems, network drives and so on. Not possible to catch all problems during beta testing. You have to test drive the software before deciding if it works in YOUR production environment.[/quote]

But you've just made a blanket satement by claiming "Lightroom 4.1 is fast (even faster than 4.0), no slider lags whatsoever". yet you're complaining about the statements of others.

Lightroom 4 and 4.1 certainly has slider lags here

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 31, 2012 3:55 PM   in reply to tgutgu

How do I quote someone? Doesnt 'appear to be working. I clicked on 'reply' in the bottom corner of someone's post above,and my last post was the result ... no quote.

ETA: OK tried manually quotign and the BBCODE doesnt' work. Hmmmm

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 31, 2012 8:16 PM   in reply to John Spacey

Quote button in message editor.

În data de 01.04.2012 01:54, "John Spacey" <forums@adobe.com> a scris:

Re: Lightroom 4 is slow  created by John Spacey<http://forums.adobe.com/people/John+Spacey>in

Photoshop Lightroom - View the full discussion<http://forums.adobe.com/message/4305110#4305110

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 31, 2012 11:25 PM   in reply to Dorin Nicolaescu-Musteață

So... in the end I'm going back to LR 3.6. Unfortunately LR 4.1 performance doesn't satisfy me. I'm not going to switch to single screen while working on LR.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 1, 2012 12:17 AM   in reply to BCormier

Not sure if this is the place to raise this one but when sychronising in the develop module only the exposure setting for say 100 images only the first 6-12 are changed.  When synchronising CHECK ALL is used then the exposure is changed on all the images?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 1, 2012 1:12 AM   in reply to BCormier

After installing LR 4.1 RC, found that everything that was terribly slow is a little less slow. In Debelop, adjustments to eith Noise sliders cause LR to hang up for 3-5 seconds. The great respionsioveness of all the sliders I'm accustomed to in LR 3.x is gone. On importing RAW, thumbnail previews appear very slowly; exports take longer. Copyu and paste settings takes longer. We've gone backwards. Help! This is my livelihood. Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 1, 2012 8:00 AM   in reply to BCormier

Lightroom 4.1 made a lttle improvement on my computer! Blending out the Filmstrip helps, but i still wished a little bit more performance!

There is one very strange issue i found. working on 5dmkII, 7d and 1dmkIV files is quite fast now with 4.1 not perfrect but fast. i downloaded quite a lot 5dmkIII raw files from iso 100 till iso 25000. i imported these raw files in lr 4.1 rc1 and they qre much much much more sluggish than 1dmkIV, 5dmkII and 7d files. very strnage cause 5dmkIII files are not larger than 5dmkII files and do not have so mcuh more megapixels. whats the problem? i will have my 5dmkIII in 2 weeks and hey man.....this is pretty bad. working with 5dmkII ok, working with 5dmkIII BAD. Please fix that QUICK adobe or you would make my experience about the new cam very BAD *g* go go go :-)

king regards chris!

|
    Mark as:
  • Ronald Nyein Zaw Tan
    4 posts
    Sep 19, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 1, 2012 2:06 PM   in reply to BCormier

Here is a question to anyone, past posters and new posters. On my system, I have one GPU driving out 2 monitors—the main screen via DVI (digital) and the secondary via VGA (analog). To re-summarize my system configuration:

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 @ Core i5 750 2.67 GHz

nVIDIA GeForce GT 430 (with 96 CUDA Cores and 1 GB of memory)

16 GB DDR3 SDRAM

7200 RPM hard drives (C and D internal, AHCI configuration)

Comments:

I have the latest drivers installed for all hardware on my system.

I don't have many simultaneous programs concurrently running when I am working on Lightroom 4.1 RC (maybe I'll have Photoshop CS5 opened).

LR is installed on my C-drive with a dedicated cache, allocated 50 GBs on the D-drive.

[Redacted]: My catalog size is small. I have the "sessions" workflow. Each of my catalogged session is NO MORE than 200 frames from my Canon 7D. This is a workflow I adopted from coming from PhaseONE CaptureONE PRO. For example, if I am shooting for Client ABC tomorrw, that shoot would be catalogged in itself and the final archive size will not go pass beyond 200 images. Does that make sense?

What I've Done:

The impeding performance problems I experience happens when I activate the dual-monitor option within LR (pressing F11 key). I normally like to have my 2nd screen show thumbs and grids while my main screen shows the main panels and the image I am working on. I even tried moving my main screen (with working panels) over to second screen and moving the grid display onto my main screen—essentially swapping the panels while the main screen is connected DVI and the second screen is still on VGA.

I deleted the cache files via the "Purge Cache" command.

I also deleted the ...Previews.lrdata file and did not notive significance improvement in performance.

Results:

During my normal usage of LR 4.1 RC, I experience instabilities. For example, when I copy settings from one RAW file and applying to a certain consecutive sequence, sometimes my LR would crash and sometimes it would work. There is that "randomness" in behavior. This was the norm. The problem when away when I depressed F11 to turn the 2nd monitor off and only have LR using one screen; however the stability problems came back and persistent. I do not know how else I could objectively quantify to assist the development team hunt this bug down to extirpate it completely. Sidesteping from stabilities issues, I could also detect and experience slider lags. Grabbing the sliders is at times insensitive. I have to truly target the center of the knob for my mouse to grab the slider so I could adjust settings.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2012 5:02 AM   in reply to BCormier

Ok, so I downloaded and installed Lightroom 4.1 RC since it was impossible to work with LR 4.0.

I've seen that many claim that slider lag and speed problem (specially when using a second monitor) are gone in LR 4.1 RC. Well, I agee with that... partially.

These are my findings:

LR 4.1 RC does indeed solves the speed and lag time when using a second monitor... but only for a "short time". I cannot edit a whole wedding without LR 4.1 going nuts, slow, irresponsive and plainly doing things that I cannot even find the logic behind.

When using Survey on a second monitor, the first 100 photos (in sets of 6-9) are ok. From then on, it takes sometimes iterally minutes to get to do its fancy reordering when a photo is deleted or even to delete a photo from the surveyed group.

When moving to the Develop module, the first time takes a bit longer, as expected, and then further changes to the Develop module go fast. Actually as fast or faster than 3.6. BUT after some time, it becomes a nightmare again to move to the Develop module AND back to the Catalog module.

I have found that sometimes, after all the crazyness start, sometimes a black rectangle appears as a background to my photo info in Loupe mode. At the beginning, the black goes away after some time, but I've got to points where it just stays there.

Generating previews under some circumstances is slower than you can imagine.

Toggling the second monitor on/off with F11 works... sometimes... Sometimes LR decides that I need my second monitor and brings it up, sometimes, for no apparent reason, it turns it off.

And now moving on to Photoshop. I have CS5 which until I installed ACR 6.7 was amazing! CS5 + LR3.6. Great combination. CS5 + ACR 6.7 + LR 4.0 (4.1) Makes me want to stop with photography or simply go back to film and not work behind the computer anymore. Yes, it is that bad on this end.

I have noticed that Photoshop has started to be unstable, to the point that I close the program and it leaves a process running behind taking care of 6 (yes, six) Gb of my physical memory. I would say that that is a pretty big chunk of memorey use for a "quick launch" executable.

LR keeps craving memory and resources, specially CPU, even when doing practically nothing. And it has also decided that it is on trial now... Apparently the money and license from Adobe LR4.0 is not good enough for LR4.1.

Last but not least, actually, this is probably one of the MOST CRITICAL points is that any image sent to Photoshop and back to LR, even without any editing (just DNG - TIFF conversion) results in an image where many things change in a quite obvious way. Brightness, contrast, and much more! (In B&W it even looks like a filter was applied so sometimes the oranges get dark and the blues lighter). I mean, consistency should be priority number one and this is far from acceptable.

I mean, this is not me using a third party program that might not work very well with Photoshop, or... whatever, this is Adobe Photoshop Lightroom with Adobe Photoshop...

Adobe, get your act together. Stop with the bells and whistles (like Blurb for LR) and work on the core that we ALL need.

Thanks,

If you want more details on how I use LR / Photoshop or system configuration, please let me know.

Cheers,

p.s. I have a pretty solid system with an intel i7 3+ GHz, 12 GB RAM, 1 GB Video on Card, Can't remember what card I have right now but I remember it was one of the best when I bought it. All HDs are eSata at 7200 rpm. 64 Bit OS. and some more bells and whistles.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2012 5:13 AM   in reply to uphotography

I currently have an open service ticket on many of the points you mention and they are now referring this upward to the technical section.  I think they are very aware of the problems but not enough people are registering their problems through the adobe siite. As previous contributors have said.  Register the problems with Adobe however minor they may seem.  Enough people registering the same problems will get action taken.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2012 5:58 AM   in reply to terry275

I don’t mind alerting them to the problem. In fact I searched the Adobe website for some time trying to find a place that I could log the issue with them. The only support pages I could find made it very clear that I would be paying for any support issues I had. I was rather disgusted at the thought of paying for Lightroom and then paying for support for non-functional software.

If they would like more people to log the issue then I believe they should make support more available to their own customers. The only reason I sought out this message board was because support is fee-based and therefore unreachable.

Geoff

|
    Mark as:
1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 43 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (3)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points