Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

crash issues/pl

Mar 31, 2012 11:28 AM

Hey there,

Just got a 2011 brand new 27 incgh imac with full ram/ full processing speed. I am using after effects and premiere to edit a project. I am currently experiencing over the top crash issues/ slow rendering/ general reas issues when I attempt to scrub unrendered footage (it will stick on one frame for quite awhile). I am wondering if the issues can be resolved through changing the location of the files the physical files. Currently, they are being read off an external device, through firewire 800. I do have the option for thunderbolt. would it make more sense to have them on the computers HD/ would thunderbolt make a difference in the crashing/ slow reading of the files?

Also, I am plumb lose as to the best settings for the scratch disks etc. I seem to get varied opinions on this.

thoughts?

Phil Kibbe

adobe forums Rock

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 31, 2012 7:23 PM   in reply to phkibbe

We need to know a lot more if we're going to help you. Please provide answers to the questions listed here: "FAQ: What information should I provide when asking a question on this forum?"

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 31, 2012 11:57 PM   in reply to phkibbe

Check your system log viewer for the actual cause of the crashes. Must not at all be related to AE, could simply be the graphics card getting to hot from all this hard work. Some iMac models have been known for that. And of course Kopriva-Man™ has a point - we'd need much more info on what's involved in the project. If it's graphics related, it could just as well be some greedy OpenGL plug-in keeping your graphics card at full throttle all the time, if it's disk related, it might be a combination of external footage storage vs. media cache vs. the kitchen sink or whatever...

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 1, 2012 1:17 PM   in reply to phkibbe

Have you tried with MP rendering and OpenGL off? This sounds like you are putting too much strain on your system. Also does the issue still occur if you use other footage formats? rather than a specific single cause, i think it's realyl the combination of things - H.264 decoding being heavy on hardware acceleration, Dynamic Link using lots of RAM and resources already and then on top of it trying to MP render based on a clip format, where the footage I/O for each separate instance and the memory consumptin might put the final nail in the coffin in a manner of speaking. Try to lighten this pipeline a bit and see if it helps.

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 2, 2012 3:33 AM   in reply to phkibbe

I can't give you any specific info on that. Adobe forgot to send me that million dollar cheque and to date I have no iPhone, no iPad, no iMac, no Ferrari... From my fading memories from my old MacBook Pro I tend to think that it's simply a configuration issue. I'm sure there is some simple switch in the energy management settings that could fix this in teh context of the launched app or a custom desktop environment with Spaces or something like that. also you might simply lower the temperature threshold for the fan speed, so it revs up earlier. I believe these days Apple allows direct access to graphics settings and there may be some ATI/ NVidia system panel or control app floating somewhere that would allow this...

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points